Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #1

3rd Party Roadside Assistance ??

Hey - Im new here! That's because were about to purchase out 1st MH (Entegra Vision 32V)...and like most large purchases- the dealer is trying to stuff me with the add on warranties.
My question is- the 24/7 Roadside Assistance.
Their pushing CN's 27/7 Protect for $798 for 5 years.
My dilemma is...I already have roadside assist with my insurance carrier, and on the Ford MH chassis Ford has a 24/7 roadside assist for 5yr/60k miles....so what value would another 3rd party bring to the table?
I get it that one may offer more $$ for hotel/car, or one has wench out under 50' from the road vs one offering 100'....but really- for a 2019 MH - wouldn't my ins co. and Ford pretty much cover that?? They are both comparable to 3rd party as far as I can tell.
I've already decided the extended warranty (service contract) is a waste of $$. I've had RV's for 40 years and have always done my own repairs...even when I did have a service contract. I found I can fixt it faster/cheaper and 'my' way better than the time to haul/wait/and haul home-only to find out they missed something. I've even done slid out/HWH/Hyd jack and more repairs of friends/families- and camping neighbors RV's
so - whaddya think on the Roadside assistance if its already paid for in the Insurance- and from Ford?
2Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 03:29 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Boy, they sure saw you coming! And are really trying to pick your pockets. Join FMCA https://www.fmca.com. They have tons of great benefits for $60 first year, less to renew. Then add their roadside assistance (scroll down that page) for $69/year.

Last April they towed my Smart Car over 300 miles after it blew a tire and ruined the rim. Yes they cover toads at no extra cost.

Plus their emergency Medical Assist program saved a dear friend's life 2 years ago when they flew him and his wife from Tampa to Little Rock, AR on a medical Lear Jet. Its included in the member benefits, BTW. And they drove their class A motorhome and dogs home also.

I'm a member for the rest of my RVing life!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #3

Ford has 5 year free roadside assistance on new units, may be transferable. DO NOT buy anything for RSA until you find out that Ford lets you down. Pretty much all of them have to use the same local providers anyway. There are only so many tow trucks in any community, especially remote ones.

When the 5 year Ford runs out, I’ll call my Progressive agent and add their coverage. They worked well when I had the previous MH.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:16 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Your dealer is a crook! Do not buy anything extra from him at all. Period.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:43 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
seems awfully high for cn for 5 years, on coachnet site they only do 1 and 3 yr plans. we have had coachnet since 2006 and have used them lots for tires on the trailer..
great service
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Ford has 5 year free roadside assistance on new units, may be transferable. DO NOT buy anything for RSA until you find out that Ford lets you down. Pretty much all of them have to use the same local providers anyway. There are only so many tow trucks in any community, especially remote ones.

When the 5 year Ford runs out, I’ll call my Progressive agent and add their coverage. They worked well when I had the previous MH.
Here's your answer.3rd parties don't have their own towing trucks. Every uses what's available in a given town.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Here's your answer.3rd parties don't have their own towing trucks. Every uses what's available in a given town.
I've had Good Sam and Coachnet and lived in small towns with Ford dealers. None have had their own tow trucks. I don’t see that as a valid argument for not using a 3rd party roadside assistance plan.

I believe towing vehicles is best left up to people who do it full time and have the proper equipment and lots of experience.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #8

My point is.… if you break down in a small town and you have tow service through your truck insurance company and call for a tow, you will get the same towing company coming to rescue you than if you had Good Sam or Coachnet. They would all use the same towing company. If you had a big RV and the small town didn't have a tow vehicle to accommodate your big rig then they would all contact the nearest town for a suitable tow truck. They use the closest town.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
My point is.… if you break down in a small town and you have tow service through your truck insurance company and call for a tow, you will get the same towing company coming to rescue you than if you had Good Sam or Coachnet. They would all use the same towing company. If you had a big RV and the small town didn't have a tow vehicle to accommodate your big rig then they would all contact the nearest town for a suitable tow truck. They use the closest town.
I agree
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #10

As previously stated you can join FMCA for $60 a year and purchase their roadside assistance plan for $69 a year plus you get all the other benefits of FMCA membership.

Escapees also has a roadside assistance program at $99 a year and their membership is only $40. And you get all the benefits of Escapees.

Or you can go with your insurance companies plan and Fords plan. The only negitive I have heard with an insurance companies plan is that if you do call for roadside assistance some insurance companies consider that a claim and may raise your rates at renewal time.

I believe the dealers plan is way over priced.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:16 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check any plan you are considering to see if it covers all the vehicles you take on a trip - RV, tow vehicle, toad, tow dolly, boat, etc. A tire problem on any one can sure mess up your trip.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]