Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #1

49 States - Missing 2 Provinces!

Walking in the RV park today, ran into a older non slide Discovery. For an older coach, it was as clean as it could be made to look. It had a few signs of leaked caused delimitation. Some Eternabond'ed areas, and other miscellaneous signs of 'travel character'.

Later in the day, the front door was opened, and on the inside was a map of North America. All but two Canadian Prvence's were filled in. Sitting outside talking, were a couple that sincerely reminded me of the parents from The Walton's TV show, perhaps 15-20 years older then the age the parents played on this show. A few hello's were exchanged, and I headed on down the roadway to our coach.

The lady next to us, came out to pet my dog. As we talked about the park, she commented that the Discovery couple were in their late 80's and early 90's respectively. She said they pay for a monthly spot, and drive a car over from their home for several days each week. Seems they just do not want to give up the RV lifestyle! Oh, and she said if I'm offered a cookie, to not pass it up!!

I reflected that I would very much like to hit half of the states that they have, and hope our coach in it's later years, will look both as well traveled, and cared for - as their coach.

I salute the RV lifestyle, and I do sincerely feel it can keep a person young - both in heart, and in spirit too.

I hope to catch this couple outside again over the next few days, and if they're not busy, pull up a chair and have a conversation, or two...

My best to all of you that have traveled this path ahead of wife and I. Sure like the park we're in - but also look forward to the next spots by the river, on the side of a mountain, or edge of a sea - that lay ahead.

Travel safe my wheeled fellow travelers, and best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 11:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hope that's my wife and I sitting out there when we're 90.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:49 PM   #3

Poetic and cool Smitty77.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very good post Smitty77. You've witnessed what we're all here for. Great to see people like that who have gone through life together, enjoyed so much and are still enjoying it together. We can all hope to be so lucky and make it to that age.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:06 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Very cool post
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #6

Love to hear of folks achieving their dreams!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #7

I have been lucky enough to have been in all 50 states and all of Canada but Newfoundland and the province they used to call the NW territories. Our twins at age 18 have managed to be in 46 and 48 states, so they too have seen this great country. So what will we do next? Why, what else but start over to see what has changed. Our end objective may be to emulate the couple you saw Smitty if we can possibly be so lucky.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
very touching story, we hope to do the same!!! Next summer on our way to Alaska...49th state and it wil be our 49th anniversary...
For our Fiftieth we hope to complete the few remaining states....!
Old 10-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #9
Community Administrator

We were fortunate to RV in all 49 States , all 10 Provinces and the Yukon Territory. Been to Hawaii as well. . Memories to last a lifetime for sure.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
My siblings and I were fortunate enough to be taken around the country by our school-teacher parents for several consecutive August's back in the 60s and early 70s. Two cross-country camping trips (VW Bus and tents!), several western and southern jaunts in the P-30 bread van my Dad converted to an RV, and so on. Plus my own travels C/C to finish college in California, and a couple of recent vacations. I've gotten all the lower 48 except Washington and North Dakota, and the eastern Canadian provinces, plus most of Mexico down to nearly Guatemala. Any one remember those Sanborn travel guides for south of the border? " At milepost 3.4, there will be a fruit stand. Turn left there for the Aztec ruins."...

I have great memories of our family trips, and hope to do a lot more before we have to turn over our keys. Keep on truckin'!