Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #1

4x4 / 4WD -- high clearance -- high CCC & Tow

Has anyone got a 4x4 class-A or class-C? Bought or built?

I REALLY want to own this configuration, but I've found nobody anywhere to convert my Itasca Sunova (27' class-A) at any price.

I've seen the Dynamax (almost no useful load -- CCC).
I've looked at expedition vehicles (either $$$$$ or noisy ex-military)
I believe Thor made a 33SW, but I don't have the specs. I think it was on a F450 chassis, too light.

I want the following:
- good ground clearance (which means 19.5" wheels or larger)
- factory or well-done 4x4
- good CCC, at least 2000 pounds, preferably more
- towing capacity 7000 pounds
- highway speed 70-75 without working hard
- reasonably quiet cabin (no worse than typical class-A)
- no longer than 30'

I know it's a tall order -- that's why I don't own one yet. I'm thinking about building a custom on a Ford F-550 chassis.

Any thoughts/experience would be much appreciated.
Gthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #2

What’s your budget like? Here are some that may be what you want:

https://earthroamer.com/pre-owned/

I think there’s a company here in Denver that will add a camper body to an existing chassis if you have one. I can try and find their info if you want.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #3

Here ya go...First Google result

Old 09-09-2018, 10:32 PM   #4

Too many requirement?

Thanks guys...

My budget is 100-150K. (If the Isata 5 had any decent carrying capacity, it would be a clear winner. But with half a tank of water and me and my wife, it's already at max GVW. Too bad.)

One possibility is a near-new F550 4x4 long wheelbase ($50-60K), with some kind of custom chassis-mount camper on it ($75K?). BIG PROJECT though. But I'd be interested in a source for good-quality BIG chassis campers.

Those military-based vehicles are tempting, but VERY compromised. They top out at 60mph or so, and you can't hear yourself think in the cabin, even if it's soundproofed. I drove one, and I've read the owners' reports. Love the self-inflating tires and the high-clearance specs -- but I'd surely hate driving it.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:01 AM   #5

4x4 / 4WD -- high clearance -- high CCC & Tow

Any class C could be converted pretty easy, swap out the I beam 2wd front, to a TTB Dana50 front end from a F250, super simple and cheap or a SAS, still a fairly easy swap to doClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7444.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	218426
Old 09-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #6

class-C conversions

Yup -- I took a good hard look at these. There are at least one or two outfits that will convert a class-C to 4x4, for about $13K.

HOWEVER -- what you get is ONLY the 4x4. You're still stuck with anemic weight limits (14,500), and BTW pretty small tankage, like 35-40 gal of water. And then there's the 16-inch wheels, with the slender ground clearance.

There are VERY FEW 19.5"-wheeled class-C vehicles out there. They tend to be built on the bigger chassis, and have really long boxes, like 34-35'. That's where the Isata 5 lost it for me: excellent F550 chassis, exactly what I wanted, but they overloaded it even in their 30-foot version. Dang.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #7

International and I think freightliner both make 4x and 6x versions of their chassis, with a slew of motor and trans options. With 54k capacity on the 6x, the railroad uses them and never seems to have a issue. Might be another route to look at. I’ll see what I can dig up

Tags
tow