Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This kind of thread along with the great postings really get to me. We on that cusp of transitioning from retirement planning to actual retirement. Sandee and I could pull the plug today if we felt the need. Recently her mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and we are in the process of figuring out if and how it can be treated. My point is not to make that part of the discussion. My point IS to say that things like that put a lot of perspective into the decision process.

When you see an opportunity to do something for yourself instead of an employer, maybe you have to think it out, evaluate what is important and what you might loose vs what you might gain by making that transition. I, too, have known too many people that worked until the day they died.

In the above, "you" really is for "me and Sandee" too. If we have 3 bad days in a row at the same time...we just might have to pull that trigger. Life...way too short.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #16

I believe what Paul said and hope we all can live the good life and RV into the sunset

Old 07-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller
I bought my first trailer at about 34. It was a very well used 1962 Apachi tent trailer. I paid 300$ for it and towed it with a little Toyota pickup that was my daily driver. It was quite literally a tent on wheells. It needed everything but we sure loved it and used it often. 7 years later, I moved from the Apachi to a Fleetwood tent trailer with a stove and refer that I bought used for 3800$. I thought I died and went to heaven. It had a stand up shower and a sit down toilet. I eventually sold the Fleetwood to a neighbor who lusted after it and actually made 200$ doing it. I then went out after buying a new Dodge Cummins diesel truck and bought another used Terry tag along trailer. We had it just a year and found that the kids had become teenagers and there just was not enough room for us all in there. I sold it for a 2000$ loss and bought a new 38 foot triple slide designer series Jayco 5th wheel in 1999. it cost us 39,000$. The kids were still young enough to come with us on vacation. I worked at UC and my wife, a grammer school principal, each had summers off and we went all over the US and Canada dragging that 5er and 3 kids and a dog with us everywhere.
All my kids are out of college and now have lives of their own. I thnk back to those years with the kids and all of us going all over the US and thank my wife for forcing me to do it. You see, I was worried about the cost. I didn't think we could afford the truck, trailer, and house, along with the 6 week vacations. Somehow we managed it and I sent all three of my kids through college too.
The kids now often speak of our adventures and sometimes misadventures with great laughter and we reminisce about all the fun we had and how dull our lives would have been without building such fond memories. It was the best of times with our kids and I would not change a thing and have 0 regrets. Yes, I'm still paying for it and so is my wife. We have had to put off retirement for a couple of years but was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! That time came only once and both of us and are happy we chose to do it when we did.
I now have a new Dodge diesel 3500 and a luxury 5er but with just my wife and I and our lab it seems so boring without the kids yelling, and needing to eat, and covered in dirt, cleaning fish, and digging out fish hooks out of thumbs, and all the activity that comes in those years. I actually miss my kids around. We all had a great time and built lasting bonds of friendship and respect.
My oldest daughter was diagnosed with cancer at 15 and has since had some ongoing medical problems that precludes her from all the activity she once enjoyed. She is doing ok now but had we waited we would not have enjoyed her being with us and her siblings.
Don't wait for finances to be just perfect. If you can possibly do it now, do so. Some heath problem can pop up without so much as a warning and life changes and with that change... you can never go back.
-Paul R. Haller-
You did it right Paul. God bless you for that
Old 07-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #18

Having a plan is place is a good idea. I have had some kind of camper for around 40 years. My first was a pop-up my dad built for the family, which he gave to me when I was still in my teens. I later had different campers ranging from a VW camper to a slide-on camper. In more recent years, my wife and I were enjoying an older Coachman TT. Old but in great condidtion. We were perfectly happy. But one day I was at my RV dealer having something done and I spotted a nice 5th wheel. My wife came to see it, and we bought it. We had planned on getting a 5th wheel upon retirement (we are late 50's) but the time and price were right so we jumped and haven't looked back. We can camp at least 4 nights a month. So, even though we had a plan we altered it unexpectedly. We decided that the future is uncertain - fuel prices, rising CG rates, more expenses in daily life, etc. Also we are healthy and active so we want to enjoy life all we can. Our kids are all adults now and they go with us sometimes, but kids at any age like camping.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #19

Thank you so much for all the responses! You all have me thinking and although we already moved up our dream from retirement to the 5 year plan, I can foresee something in maybe 3 years when all we have left is a year on our mortgage. We are obsessed with looking at MH's online and plan to visit a dealership soon just to start getting a feel for what floor plan may work best for us. Since we plan to buy used, the new units out there today will be the ones we consider when ready to buy. We are also making plans to rent a Class C for our trip to Syracuse next summer. I'm so excited!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #20

Just checking in. We have put our plan in place and are working our budget hard to be debt free (except the mortgage) in 3 years. Then we are considering selling the house for something smaller. If that happens, we'll be completely debt free and able to pay cash for our RV! Feels good to be on our way
Old 08-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #21

I just got my first camper- a well-used travel trailer that i could afford without a loan. I'm in my mid-thirties and my family camped a lot when I was a kid, in big motorhomes. I was a tent camper but I just can't sleep on the ground or walk to a bathhouse in the middle of the night any longer.

Ideally, I want to get a small motorhome once I retire and travel all over in it. I can't afford it now- I've still got many years of mortgage ahead of me! But, instead of waiting and waiting, I got the wee trailer and plan to go on lots of trips in the meantime.

You sound like you have a good plan. If I were you, I'd test the waters first, even with a rental, to see how much you enjoy it before going all in (which it looks like you're planning).
Old 09-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #22

Quick update to our 5 year plan - we might be buying a class C this year!!! Since starting on our path to become debt free and buy an RV, we paid off 3 car loans, all our credit cards, and sold our home. We moved from northern IL to southern WI and downsized from a large home and yard to a small condo. We now have 1 small mortgage and enough cash to purchase an RV. Trust me, we didn't move just for the RV, but our downsize plan has freed up resources to make this dream come true much sooner than expected. Now my hubby has a line on a nice used rig. We are so excited and will share more details as they unfold
Old 09-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamadubbs View Post
Quick update to our 5 year plan - we might be buying a class C this year!!! Since starting on our path to become debt free and buy an RV, we paid off 3 car loans, all our credit cards, and sold our home. We moved from northern IL to southern WI and downsized from a large home and yard to a small condo. We now have 1 small mortgage and enough cash to purchase an RV. Trust me, we didn't move just for the RV, but our downsize plan has freed up resources to make this dream come true much sooner than expected. Now my hubby has a line on a nice used rig. We are so excited and will share more details as they unfold

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote