Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #1

5 year plan to RV dream

I've been dreaming of owning an RV for many years. Recently hubby got on board and we thought 5 years from now would be a good time to buy. Our youngest will be graduating college in 2017 and we'll be free to enjoy an RV lifestyle even if it is on weekends and vacations.

Well tonight we decided we needed a plan, not just a dream. So I sat down and figured out a financial roadmap. I'm so excited to see on paper that we can get completely out of debt by April 2016 and save enough to pay cash for a 2-5 year old Class C RV by July 2017.

Our wedding anniversary is July 3rd and I can't think of a better anniversary present!

So don't mind me while I lurk around gathering information and tips. Our dream will be a reality before we know it!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #2

Looks like you're planning ahead! Do you have a travel trailer in the meantime?? The kids don't have to be out of the house to enjoy RVing. I'm only young (20s, yes...I know....I'm just a baby), but some of my fondest memories were camping with my parents in our old RV.

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #3

There are a lot of things I wish I could of done differently while our kids were small. Oh to be 20 something again! As a kid my family tent camped all the time which is why I love camping so much. But my hubby works a lot of weekends so for our kids we made the back yard a fun place to be. Pool, hot tub, tree house, and a fire pit. I would have loved to own a pop-up or something when the kids were small, but in reality we wouldn't of had much opportunity to use it. Originally we planned on the RV being a retirement thing. But when my father-in-law was dying, he gave my hubby 2 words of advice; don't wait. We'll be 52 and 53 when our 5 year plan is realized and hope to have many years to enjoy our toy The kids can come too if they want, but they'll need their own camper - mom and dad need some alone time : D
Old 07-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been RVing since '85 with making RV payments during most of that time, including the current unity. Probably would be camping more if I wasn't making payments, but probably wouldn't be camping at all if I'd tried to save enough to pay cash.
VSPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #5

Live it up today, you might be dead tomorrow, that's the way I look at it.

Even if you have more cash than what you can spend, your never out of debt.

Someone always has there hand in your pocket. Don't do what I did. Waited until my mind and finances allowed me to but my body won't let me do anymore.

Now I sit here playing on this damn computer.
Your only here once.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #6

Not saying we wouldn't consider financing, but until we dig ourselves out from our past "live for today" debt, we're in no position to take on such a huge financial responsibility
Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a great plan. Let the count down begin !
Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #8

I can appreciate your planning. But as Perry White said, " Live it up today, you might be dead tomorrow, that's the way I look at it." I must agree.

You are in the 47-48 years old range. Try to enjoy yourself while you are younger. Take advantage of every day and live every day to its fullest. Live your life with no regrets.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #9

I bought my first trailer at about 34. It was a very well used 1962 Apachi tent trailer. I paid 300$ for it and towed it with a little Toyota pickup that was my daily driver. It was quite literally a tent on wheells. It needed everything but we sure loved it and used it often. 7 years later, I moved from the Apachi to a Fleetwood tent trailer with a stove and refer that I bought used for 3800$. I thought I died and went to heaven. It had a stand up shower and a sit down toilet. I eventually sold the Fleetwood to a neighbor who lusted after it and actually made 200$ doing it. I then went out after buying a new Dodge Cummins diesel truck and bought another used Terry tag along trailer. We had it just a year and found that the kids had become teenagers and there just was not enough room for us all in there. I sold it for a 2000$ loss and bought a new 38 foot triple slide designer series Jayco 5th wheel in 1999. it cost us 39,000$. The kids were still young enough to come with us on vacation. I worked at UC and my wife, a grammer school principal, each had summers off and we went all over the US and Canada dragging that 5er and 3 kids and a dog with us everywhere.
All my kids are out of college and now have lives of their own. I thnk back to those years with the kids and all of us going all over the US and thank my wife for forcing me to do it. You see, I was worried about the cost. I didn't think we could afford the truck, trailer, and house, along with the 6 week vacations. Somehow we managed it and I sent all three of my kids through college too.
The kids now often speak of our adventures and sometimes misadventures with great laughter and we reminisce about all the fun we had and how dull our lives would have been without building such fond memories. It was the best of times with our kids and I would not change a thing and have 0 regrets. Yes, I'm still paying for it and so is my wife. We have had to put off retirement for a couple of years but was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! That time came only once and both of us and are happy we chose to do it when we did.
I now have a new Dodge diesel 3500 and a luxury 5er but with just my wife and I and our lab it seems so boring without the kids yelling, and needing to eat, and covered in dirt, cleaning fish, and digging out fish hooks out of thumbs, and all the activity that comes in those years. I actually miss my kids around. We all had a great time and built lasting bonds of friendship and respect.
My oldest daughter was diagnosed with cancer at 15 and has since had some ongoing medical problems that precludes her from all the activity she once enjoyed. She is doing ok now but had we waited we would not have enjoyed her being with us and her siblings.
Don't wait for finances to be just perfect. If you can possibly do it now, do so. Some heath problem can pop up without so much as a warning and life changes and with that change... you can never go back.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamadubbs View Post
Not saying we wouldn't consider financing, but until we dig ourselves out from our past "live for today" debt, we're in no position to take on such a huge financial responsibility
I can understand where your at, but don't put it off until all is paid. The 2011 unit we have now was just over six months old, with only 2,765 miles on it when DW and I traded for it at a local dealership. It came from the estate of a man who passed away suddenly right after he and his wife's first trip.
VSPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamadubbs View Post
There are a lot of things I wish I could of done differently while our kids were small. Oh to be 20 something again! As a kid my family tent camped all the time which is why I love camping so much. But my hubby works a lot of weekends so for our kids we made the back yard a fun place to be. Pool, hot tub, tree house, and a fire pit. I would have loved to own a pop-up or something when the kids were small, but in reality we wouldn't of had much opportunity to use it. Originally we planned on the RV being a retirement thing. But when my father-in-law was dying, he gave my hubby 2 words of advice; don't wait. We'll be 52 and 53 when our 5 year plan is realized and hope to have many years to enjoy our toy The kids can come too if they want, but they'll need their own camper - mom and dad need some alone time : D

Parents having "alone time"....ewwww (just playin). It is true though, "don't wait" are definitely words to live by. Don't go overboard of course, but if you can afford to budget some cash and have fun, why not??

My friend's father, who was close to us, ran his own business and worked basically 6-7 days a week from the age of 18, and spent very little of what he made. At his 50th birthday party, he announced that he would start be scaling back, was handing the business to their sons (22 & 26 in age), and that it was time for him and his wife to start enjoying life. His b.day gift to himself was a 65 Mustang, and he also said he wanted to finally buy a camper and travel.

That night when he went to sleep, he never woke up. He never took time to smell the roses and enjoy himself. His wife now lives alone in the big beautiful home he worked so hard for. She only a few memories from family trips they went on, because they only took 2.

That little story isn't meant to sadden or scare anyone, but yet to simply remind them that if you can enjoy today, do so....because you might not get to enjoy tomorrow. I'm only in my mid-20s, but I am already staring to get it (which might not be a good thing, because I already hate working for little reward)

Have fun kids
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to KDbug
After reading all the other posts I guess I'll add my 2cents.
I'm 45 and my husband is 57 and we have grown kids all in there 20's and three granddaughters. My husband is a diesel mechanic for Tyson Foods and I work now for a school. I grew up camping with family and my husband didn't. We camped (I say we but mostly me and the kids) when my kids were growing up even on a limited budget (b/c I didn't work while my kids were small) we mostly tent camped but we had a very well used $250 coleman pop up for a while. we went with family some there is also a free camp site a couple hours from me with only a porta potty kind toilet. we went with an aunt an uncle several times for a month at a time in a tent. he Love to camp he had cancer and his last request was for us to go camping since he couldn't we went came back and had him laughing in the hospital about our misadventures without him there to keep us straight; he went into a coma 3days later and died. Do you know what my kids remember about him to this day b/c they were pretty little at the time. What kind of fun they had with him sitting on the side of a dock or the shoe fishing and my uncles favorite saying to the kids "K leave them kids alone they can take a bath in the tub at home they get clean enough from swimming" My kids still camp my boys never really stopped but my daughter hadn't been since sh got married (was having trouble convincing her husband) well I took my granddaughters and for 2 weeks and my daughter and son-in-law came up to get the girls and stayed a few days went home and was talking about getting stuff: tent, stove ect.... well for Christmas several in the Family got them a tent and small items for camping they did thier first trip in thier backyard.
I gave up camping and sold all my camp gear when my mother-in-law was taken ill with a long term illness, she passed away 2years ago at the end of this Aug after a 10yr struggle. so I'm back camping and having to start all over getting gear. I bought a tent and went camping I buy one or two thing each year and am saving for a camper again but this is not stopping me from camping....I agree life is short and you need to enjoy the time your given.
you have a good plan just don't limit yourself.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my rv 2 years before I was supposed to in the financial 'plan' I had to pay the car off first.

I have had my coach for just 13 short months, but I can tell you, especially after my last trip to Colorado, it has been worth every penny and I could never have had the fun and visits I have had without it. My car will be paid off in the next year and thank God, I have the wonderful memories I have created by cramming the coach into my finances.

I have friends who you would think they are on their last dime and are well able to retire today. I also have friends that are not well off and they have more fun and enjoy more 'life' than I ever will.

It all depends on the mantra you create. If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right.

Good luck and hope your countdown can shorten up! That next breath is promised to no one.

God Bless!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #14

Congrats on putting together a plan. When we got orders to move to Hawaii (I'm military), we sold our setup. We do miss camping but hey, we live in Hawaii and are enjoying it out here.

Since being here, we have actually established a reasonable budget since I will be retiring in a couple of years (already have 21 yrs active duty). We have been saving a good chunk on money each month and when we leave here in a couple of years, will have enough saved to buy a nice RV in the $150k range. I still look at used models daily online just to get ideas. Still haven't decided if we will get a DP or a Mobile Suite 5RV. It will depend on how often we intend to stay at each location.

Anyways, it's always good to have a plan for the future. We wasted so much $$$ over the years only thinking of today.