Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #1

50 Amp & Wallpaper Question

If we get a 50 amp unit and go to a 30 amp site, can we buy the cord to convert and is that ok ?

And if we buy a unit with ugly wallpaper border, does it remove easily or bad idea ? We found a unit and the only thing that bugs me is the ugly border.

Thanks so much for any help and advice.

We are thinking of moving from a 30 amp to a 50 amp unit and are going to miss our favorite -large waterfront RV spot.' If we go to a 50 amp.

Any do dealers ever swap out furniture to help sell a unit ?

Many thx

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #2

As a general rule, dealers upon your purchase will provide you with an adaptor that connects the 50A cord male plug to a 30A receptical. Or, you can pick one up at most RV supply stores. Obviously your reducing the amount of load you can have such as running 2 a/c units or combinations of ac loads that may exceed the 30A breaker.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
You can use a pigtail adaptor with no electrical issues. While your RV may be 50 amp, the pedestal 30 amp circuit breaker will prevent you from drawing too much power. Just be mindful of your various appliance loads and don't exceed 30 amps, or keep a pair of slippers and a robe handy to run outside and flip the breaker.

We took off our old, ugly border in our RV. Use warm water with a touch of detergent to make the water 'wetter' and sponge away on the border. Once wet, the paper peeled off in large pieces and took less than an hour to rid the RV of all the border. Cleaning the old paste off the wall took longer than the removal of the border.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
As stated, you can run fine off 30A. But let me share this.

I ran the house 15K AC, didn't run the bedroom 13.5K AC. I did turn on my electric element in the water heater. Later I found out that the electric element in the water heater draws 1200W, or 10 amps.

A 15K AC draws about 15 amps.

The fridge, about 2 amps. Converter, another few amps, we'll say 3 amps.

So, 10+15+2+3=30 amps. I was running right at the breaker's limit. Consequently, I blackened on leg on my adapter. It didn't actually hurt it, but you can tell it was hot. Luckily voltage inside never dropped below 120V so all was ok, but it was close.

So, if plugged in with an adapter leave the electric water heater element off. Otherwise it's no different than living in your 30A unit was.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #5

You can step 50a down to 30a or even 20a.

Regarding the wallpaper. Taking it off will depend on how it was put on. It may just be easier to buy the same size as what's there and paper over the existing border.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #6

If you are used to using 30 amp hookups with your MH, you should not notice any difference using the pigtail that adapts the 50 amp plug to the 30amp connection. I've never had good luck removing wallpaper in the house, just made a big mess, uneven surfaces ect, can you cover over it with new a new border or will that not work.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #7

I use a Camco 55025 PowerGrip Maximizer 45 AMP Adapter quite a lot. It lets you hook up your 50 amp shore power to a 30 amp and a 20/15 amp outlet at the same time. The main side of the 50 amp service gets the 30 amp which will run your A/C and the other side of the 50 amp service gets the 20 amp that will typically run your hot water heater assuming that the hot water and the main A/C are wired on different sides of the twin 50 amp service inside your RV which mine is. Running the A/C and the hot water heater on the same 30 amp breaker may cause the breaker to trip frequently. Amazon.com: Camco 55025 PowerGrip Maximizer 45 AMP Adapter: Automotive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61HgQHXYulL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	74107  
Old 09-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wall paper: Paper over it may be easier...

30 amp site: I do that all the time (Well much of the time, I am (THANKFULLY) on a 50 here in Southern GA where I'm broke down)

The rules per Reddy Killawatt

Big ticket items are things like Air Conditioners, Water heater, Space heater, Hair Dryer, even the converter in some cases if the batteries are low (Mine can suck 11-12 amps) basically anything with a double digit amp draw (Microwave).

Fridge is a medium at around 3-4 amps

TV, Sat Receiver, Radio.. Forget 'em.

15 amps, 1 big
20 1 bug + fridge
30 2 big but NOT two air conditioners
50 all you can eat

So long as you remember that and do not get Eva Gabor syndrom (TV show Green Acers where she kept plugging in too much and blowing the Generator) you will be fine.

You should get both a 50-30 adapater and a 30-15 just in cuss.
(no that's not a mispell. you will be cussing if you need to use that one)
Old 09-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You can use a pigtail adaptor with no electrical issues. While your RV may be 50 amp, the pedestal 30 amp circuit breaker will prevent you from drawing too much power. Just be mindful of your various appliance loads and don't exceed 30 amps, or keep a pair of slippers and a robe handy to run outside and flip the breaker.

We took off our old, ugly border in our RV. Use warm water with a touch of detergent to make the water 'wetter' and sponge away on the border. Once wet, the paper peeled off in large pieces and took less than an hour to rid the RV of all the border. Cleaning the old paste off the wall took longer than the removal of the border.
Did it look good enough where you didn't have to put anything else back up ?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
If you are used to using 30 amp hookups with your MH, you should not notice any difference using the pigtail that adapts the 50 amp plug to the 30amp connection. I've never had good luck removing wallpaper in the house, just made a big mess, uneven surfaces ect, can you cover over it with new a new border or will that not work.
Yeah I was thinking of doing that as well. Having trouble finding all the exact things we want in a fifth wheel.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella222 View Post
Did it look good enough where you didn't have to put anything else back up ?
We put up a new, slightly wider border with brighter colors (the old one was brown palm trees on a brown background) with a beach/ocean/sailboat scene, with a lighthouse and an adirondack chair in a repeating pattern. Very easy, lots easier than full width wallpaper!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #12

Our daughter who bought our previous MH painted the entire inside. Looks great. Maybe you could just paint over the border.