Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #15

You can try to shut all the breakers off except the 50 amp. Slam the door and see if it still pops. If it doesn't then turn one on at a time .
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #16

You have a serious problem that needs to be addressed before something bad happens. If you cannot troubleshoot this issue, take it to someone who can quickly.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
If there is an actual "short" going on inside the panel with the 50 amp breaker tripping I'm sure you would see some kind of sparks from within the cracks around the cover and hear a pretty good "pffffssstt" from the arcing,etc.
I would think after having this happen MULTIPLE times that you would also see some burn/black marks inside the panel somewhere.
Pretty simple to ascertain by carefully removing the cover and JUST looking with a flashlight with the power OFF.
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
MYSTERY SOLVED (I think). First off, everything in the breaker box looks fine, no burn marks. Last night, I opened the closet door carefully, but when I shut it, the breaker popped. I started looking at the closet door & realized that the door is so close to the breaker box it actually catches the edge of that breaker & turns it off. Since there isn't any cover over the switches, I'm going to have to be extra careful with that door. It's really not a good setup, but now that I've figured that out, I can push the door out a little as I close it.
Really appreciate all the suggestions. this was really starting to concern me since we just had the breaker replaced.
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by karencollins View Post
MYSTERY SOLVED (I think). First off, everything in the breaker box looks fine, no burn marks. Last night, I opened the closet door carefully, but when I shut it, the breaker popped. I started looking at the closet door & realized that the door is so close to the breaker box it actually catches the edge of that breaker & turns it off. Since there isn't any cover over the switches, I'm going to have to be extra careful with that door. It's really not a good setup, but now that I've figured that out, I can push the door out a little as I close it.
Really appreciate all the suggestions. this was really starting to concern me since we just had the breaker replaced.
I can't believe that Monaco would do such a stupid thing especially in a Diplomat but I guess when it comes to RV's anything is possible.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #20

Quote:
MYSTERY SOLVED (I think). I started looking at the closet door & realized that the door is so close to the breaker box it actually catches the edge of that breaker & turns it off. Since there isn't any cover over the switches, I'm going to have to be extra careful with that door.
karencollins
Happy to hear that!
Can you fabricate a cover for, (or otherwise protect) that breaker.. rather than always having to be extra careful with the door?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Can you post a pic of the panel?
I have dozens of different panels laying around with covers.
Might have one to fit yours.
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I'm going to try to get my pics posted. The metal plate on the cover is 161/4 by 91/2".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6324.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	73000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6325.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	73001  

Old 09-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #23

Me thinks you might have an issue with that sliding door. If the bracket holding the roller on the right side of the door is bent, or has possibly come loose, that might be causing the issue? Otherwise, moving the track it runs in out away from the panel should eliminate your issue.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #24

Foretravel Owners Club
The main cause for tripping any breaker is due to either a short type or over loaded causing breaker to trip from heating, of course these do not cover poor installations.
Do not forget the 80% rule.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I'm going to try to get my pics posted. The metal plate on the cover is 161/4 by 91/2".
That electrical panel is actually your Intellitec EMS load panel and it never came with a cover.

Your main house panel did come with a cover which is usually grey in color.

I believe there was an improper installation either with the closet door or the storage cabinet inside the closet.

Regardless, your best solution would be to possibly move the entire track of the closet out a quarter of an inch in you can.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intellitec EMS-01.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	73022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Intellitec EMS-03.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	73023  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #26

Get a piece of trim from your favorite store and make some rails above and below the panel that woukd preventvthe door from touching.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
If the bracket holding the roller on the right side of the door is bent, or has possibly come loose, that might be causing the issue? Otherwise, moving the track it runs in out away from the panel should eliminate your issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Get a piece of trim from your favorite store and make some rails above and below the panel that would prevent the door from touching.
karencollins
Since you have determined that the door hits and trips the breaker, those are both excellent suggestions!
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
There is really no way to move the track, so I'll get some trim & make the rails. That's a great idea & should solve the problem. The only reason we started paying attention to it in the first place, is because we hardly ever opened that door all the way. However, I have a plastic stacked drawer set on the other side & lately have been stashing stuff in one of the drawers, thus opening the door all the way. Thanks for all the suggestions & ideas, you're all great!!!