Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
No; do not attempt to run both A/C units.
Dual A/C's was the reason that RV's went to 50 amps in the first place.
The dog bone , splits the 30 amp to two 15amp legs.
The A/Cs , might run , BUT the dog bone WILL overheat, and melt.
Some will tell you that the park circuit breaker will trip before the wiring melts, BUT , I've watched it happen, to a neighbor , who wouldn't believe me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Are you sure on the dog bone? If that was true, then NO AC's would work. I think it split the wire and feeds 30 amps BOTH legs. And electricians out there?
I've got to disagree with Skip, although it might just be in the language. Most every 'dog bone' I've seen plugs in to a 30 amp outlet and then distributes the hot lead to both leads of the 50 amp plug. It doesn't split the load, just makes the 30 amps avaiabe to either or both legs of the 50 amp RV service. If you tried to 'pull' more than 30 amps, the circuit breaker in the pedestal should trip because you're trying to exceed it's capacity. I also don't understand how a proper dog bone, sized for the loads, would be hot. I've used them many times, I don't pay for 50 amp service unless I know I'll need it. So I use a 30-50 amp dog bone often. It's never been hot.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #16
Commercial Member

50 amp Class A plugging into 30 Amps

I also agree with both airs on a 30amp service. Depending on size they draw 14amps running and 20+ surge starting. Assuming they don't start at the same time you have a 28amp total. Yes, the breaker is being loaded and will probably trip over time but the dog bone is well within limits.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC

Old 06-06-2015, 06:29 AM   #17

Quote:
If you really want to scare yourself, go and pick up the connections at the dog bone after the A/Cs have been running.
Both are running right now. It's cool to the touch.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
If your power monitor panel is an Energy Management System, yes you can run both air conditioners and anything else you want. The system will manage keeping your current below the 30amp limit by cycling everything as you use it.

There should be lights telling you what is being shed to hold the limit.

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
You're right. Poor choice of words on my part. It's an energy management system. It indicates two "Lines" and show the load on each and the total. I won't even venture a guess as to how the dogbone spits the power up.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Just FYI, a 50 to 30amp dog bone just ties the two 50amp hot leads to the 30amp source. No magic, you are limited to a maximum of 30 amps by the breaker.

Also, that is how your Energy Management System detects you are on 30amp power by understanding that their is not 240volts between the two hots.

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 06-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
You're right. Poor choice of words on my part. It's an energy management system. It indicates two "Lines" and show the load on each and the total. I won't even venture a guess as to how the dogbone spits the power up.

Your energy management will shed loads. I believe the a/c's have a higher priority than the hot water so no electric hot water when both a/c's are on. At least that is how mine works and they should be the same.

The energy management only sees one leg so a dog bone wont help you. it will limit you to 30 amps unless it sees L1 and L2 ( 50 amps). Don't waste your money on one with EMS onboard.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by asuperheat View Post
Your energy management will shed loads. I believe the a/c's have a higher priority than the hot water so no electric hot water when both a/c's are on. At least that is how mine works and they should be the same.

The energy management only sees one leg so a dog bone wont help you. it will limit you to 30 amps unless it sees L1 and L2 ( 50 amps). Don't waste your money on one with EMS onboard.
The dog bone connects both L1 and L2 to the hot lead of the 30 amp service, so there is power in both legs of the 50 amp service, but you are limited by the pedestal circuit breaker to 30 amps. Perhaps your management system detects that both legs are in phase, instead of the normal 50 amp configuration of being 180º out of phase and limits or recognizes that you are limited to 30 amps.

Not sure what you are referring to as a waste of money. Surely not an Electrical Management System? This type of EMS does more than monitor and shed loads, it won't connect if the pedestal is not wired properly or the voltage is outside preset parameters. In addition, it's a surge protector and if power is interrupted, it delays re-connection so your air conditioners don't try to start while pressures are too high from the power shut off. 50% of electrical equipment failures are due to electrical issues. The price of an EMS is insurance against such issues, common in campgrounds that might not be wired for today's high electrical consumption RVs. If you're buying one, why not just pay once and have it repaired or replaced for life? Progressive Industries is the only one that offers a lifetime warranty.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
It's a newer Fleetwood, the energy management takes care of everything. I never pay extra for 50 amp , everything seems to work fine on 30.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #23

Quote:
No; do not attempt to run both A/C units.
Dual A/C's was the reason that RV's went to 50 amps in the first place.
The dog bone , splits the 30 amp to two 15amp legs.
The A/Cs , might run , BUT the dog bone WILL overheat, and melt.
Some will tell you that the park circuit breaker will trip before the wiring melts, BUT , I've watched it happen, to a neighbor , who wouldn't believe me.

This is typically the result of poor connections or poor quality adapters ... or both. Unfortunately, many 30 amp receptacles have little or no tension on the connectors and are burned. In addition, a 30 amp connector, due to its construction (3 prongs) tends to come loose from the weight of the cord. A 50 amp connector (4 prongs) is less likely to loosen.

Basically, if a 30 amp plug starts to pull loose (or falls out) from the weight of the cord, don't use the pedestal.

A 50 amp cord plus dogbone is significantly heavier than a 30 amp cord.

I don't use a dogbone .... I use this:
Progressive Industries 50 Amp F to 30 Amp M Adapter - Adapters - Power Cords - Electrical

Old 06-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
A good work around, or you can just keep about 6' of nylon cord in with your shore cord. A couple of knots and the cord anchors the plug in place and prevents accidentally kicking it loose when campsite short cutters cross our site.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The dog bone connects both L1 and L2 to the hot lead of the 30 amp service, so there is power in both legs of the 50 amp service, but you are limited by the pedestal circuit breaker to 30 amps. Perhaps your management system detects that both legs are in phase, instead of the normal 50 amp configuration of being 180º out of phase and limits or recognizes that you are limited to 30 amps.

Not sure what you are referring to as a waste of money. Surely not an Electrical Management System? This type of EMS does more than monitor and shed loads, it won't connect if the pedestal is not wired properly or the voltage is outside preset parameters. In addition, it's a surge protector and if power is interrupted, it delays re-connection so your air conditioners don't try to start while pressures are too high from the power shut off. 50% of electrical equipment failures are due to electrical issues. The price of an EMS is insurance against such issues, common in campgrounds that might not be wired for today's high electrical consumption RVs. If you're buying one, why not just pay once and have it repaired or replaced for life? Progressive Industries is the only one that offers a lifetime warranty.

I understand the adapter, electrical and the EMS. I was posting to the original poster. Both he and I have the same RV, same EMS. The EMS is built in.

In his case he will waste his money with the adapter. His EMS will limit him to 30 amps then shed loads regardless of the adapter because it will see as you stated same phase. It does not matter that the adapter puts power to both legs, as far as EMS is concerned it is only L1, not L1 and L2 or 240 volts between both.

His options are 20/30/50. 30/50 determined by the panel. 20 can be selected if needed on the panel itself.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
asuperheat, I'm not familiar with your EMS system, but I am a bit knowledgeable about RV wiring. How would you connect to 30 amp service without a dog bone or adaptor to change the 4 prong 50 amp plug to a 3 prong 30 amp pedestal? If you did have a connector that didn't send the single 30 amp hot lead to L1 and L2, is your EMS capable of taking a load wired to L1 and shift it to L2, if that was the only leg powered? I carry a dog bone and an adaptor to go from 50 amp >> 30 amp >> 20 amp if need be. At home I use both adaptors to plug in and keep batteries charged and a few lights. I wouldn't think of trying to run the A/C or other heavy loads on the 20 amp (actually 15 amp) circuit.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuperheat View Post
I understand the adapter, electrical and the EMS. I was posting to the original poster. Both he and I have the same RV, same EMS. The EMS is built in.
And it's Great! Hot water can come from propane. Staying cool is my priority. Love this coach. Fleetwood seems to have made pretty much all the right choices in this "entry level" DP

Tags
class a