Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #15

An RV 50 amp cable should be 8/4, minimum. It will have two hots, 1 neutral, and 1 ground. Also, a brief reading of various specs for wire gauge indicates that in order to deal with voltage loss at 50 feet, you should use 6 gauge wire, not 8!!! (I am not an electrician, and my TT has only 30 amp service, so I'm not speaking from direct experience!)

Roger
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Regardless of the wiring sizes and what it should be. If you paid for one thing and got another. Return it!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:06 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Two separate issues here: The capability of the wire itself and whether it is as advertised (or not).

To the best of my knowledge, Type SJT wire in the 10/3 (+ ground) AWG size is only rated for 30A. I do not find any wire manufacturer with a higher rating, nor any that exceed a 300v rating. That's probably what UL and the NEC says for that type of wire. So demonstrably, the cord you got is NOT 50-Amp capable.

It's also not what the product description said, i.e. not 6 AWG and not a 50A cord.

Either one is grounds for returning it. At the sellers expense.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #18

SO cord is rated for 600 volt. SJ cord is rated for 300 volt. You have 2 120 volt conductors in your 50 amp cable. SJ cord should be sufficient.
jmaotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #19

If ebay then no issue as it is "not as advertised"

But to be "polite" seek return from seller and just in case it was a shipping error where wrong one shipped just state refund only option.

BTW a recent trip to lowes to but some power cord for another project and looked at their supplies and discovered many options.

SOO CORD AND SOOJ maybe...memory not good so these may be wrong but one is the normal SO type cord and the second was a lighter package for portable equipment.

The 12 gage size was a bit smaller than the 14 of the other.

So there may be other options for flexible cord for self made.

Yes you may pay more but will know what you have.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:50 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Give them bad feedback. That should get results. OR contact them with problem. OR contact ebay with transaction no. They will get results!
Old 05-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #21

Click image for larger version

Name:	cord ampacities.PNG
Views:	177
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	161779
depending on what kind of wire you use and what kind of so cord, can make a big difference, there are many different choices for cord for different applications, we always used motor lead wire for tight locations and small pecker heads on the motors themselves. but to each his own
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #22
IC2

Don't know who your seller is but our 50 amp from ebay is 3 #6 and 1 #8 for the ground.

If the seller has many positive sales, contact him and straighten it out. He wants to maintain his rating and seller status. If he fails to correct it in a timely manner, then go the PayPal/ebay complaint route. So far it has worked for us 100% of the time for several purchases where they ether shipped wrong or mis-advertised.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #23

As I understand the code requirements, for RV cords a 50 amp cord at a minimum must have 3 6 gauge current carrying conductors with a minimum of an 8 gauge ground conductor. I think this is code legal only on factory produced cords with molded ends. Alternatively you can use 4 conductor 6 Gauge service cord of the SO family of cords (SOOW, SEOOW SJOW, SJOOW, STOOW etc.), the letters all mean thing, S being service cord, W being for wet weather locations, the O or OO means oil resistant jacket, or oil resistant jacket and insulation, the J means it is rated up to 300 volts (RV cords are operated at 240V so either J or non J is ok), E,T, or nothing is the type of jacket, rubber, (T) thermoplastic, or (E) thermoplastic elastomer. There may be other variations but these are the more common ones.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:35 PM   #24

Carolina Campers
Ampacity Charts

This is a simple chart for gauge, amps and wire type. Type is important BTW and NEC calls for certain type for different uses.

But that cable you got needs to be returned do not use it for 50 AMP service. If you draw over 30 amps or even real close to 30 amps I would expect that cord to fail.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Followup: Talked to the seller several times. They've been polite but won't accept a return. They have offered 50% back on the purchase price and suggest I resell it. Not an option in my opinion.

I've started the process with eBay to resolve the issue. It's $130, which is not a big deal to me but I feel it's important to send a message to scammers that they can't just ignore/dodge and hope it goes away.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #26

Been there. EBay will refund your money, once the seller receives the return. Them they go after him for the money.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #27
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waywards View Post
Followup: Talked to the seller several times. They've been polite but won't accept a return. They have offered 50% back on the purchase price and suggest I resell it. Not an option in my opinion.

I've started the process with eBay to resolve the issue. It's $130, which is not a big deal to me but I feel it's important to send a message to scammers that they can't just ignore/dodge and hope it goes away.

Who is the seller by name so others aren't duped. This can be a big problem in case of a significant (read that as expensive) problem caused by this misrepresentation. Noted here on iRV2 can and will be read by thousands and hopefully send them to better choices for purchase.

Good luck with your eBay case and don't forget to keep us informed.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplecamper View Post
Ampacity Charts

This is a simple chart for gauge, amps and wire type. Type is important BTW and NEC calls for certain type for different uses.

But that cable you got needs to be returned do not use it for 50 AMP service. If you draw over 30 amps or even real close to 30 amps I would expect that cord to fail.
That ampacity chart is useless for this topic and discussion. That chart is for single conductors, in free air, based on insulation type and ambient temperature of the environment that it is used in. All wiring is down rated when in conduit, raceways, in in cable configuration (multiple wires in a single cable), such as the shore power cable in this thread.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote