Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog1965char View Post
First of all I would like to thank everyone for all the input on this matter. I had the utility co out today to locate the underground service from transformer to meter which they did. He would not locate any other wires that I had trenched in, stating that they are only responsible for the main service and that any future work that I did would be up to me. I have my own equipment such as backhoe and trencher but want to make sure that I am up to code since many things has changed over the last 5- 10 years. This being said I will contact a license electrician and pay him for his advice and guidance on this. At this point I am leaning toward using 00 alum (direct bury) and maybe upgrading my pedestal (meter socket and panel so that I will have more room for additional breakers. Again thanks for all the help. Roger
Good luck with it.
At that point i would look at a sub panel at the end of the run if you are good with what you are looking at now. Its amazing you turn around in a year or two and will look and sigh... I should have...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
For the life of me, I don't know why anyone would place direct bury electrical wire unless it is low voltage control wiring.
As I was reading this thread I kept thinking the same thing. For almost 20 years I was a County Inspector and could never understand people not wanting to install a conduit for water mains and electric wire providing the ability for pulling replacement utilities with little effort. Extra protection is also provided for their effort.
Larry
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #17

50 amp service for rv

Scotty: thanks for your input. You made some good arguments for using PVC conduit. I may reconsider. In another life I was a drilling contractor and it was not unusual to have 2000 ft plus runs to our wells. We used all direct bury unless the backfill material was suspect and then we used conduit. In this project (only 400 ft) it may be anvantages to use conduit since I have underground utilities to cross and deal with and like you said it would be nice to just deal with them once. Thanks again. Roger
Rog1965char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Like you cannot build a shed too big you cannot have too much power. If you think you need 50 put in a 100 (or more). You will always find a use for it if you do not have it.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Scotty: thanks for your input. You made some good arguments for using PVC conduit. I may reconsider. In another life I was a drilling contractor and it was not unusual to have 2000 ft plus runs to our wells. We used all direct bury unless the backfill material was suspect and then we used conduit. In this project (only 400 ft) it may be anvantages to use conduit since I have underground utilities to cross and deal with and like you said it would be nice to just deal with them once. Thanks again. Roger
You will not be sorry. I know this is not the size and length you are looking for, but this is a common size for RV use. Just for comparison these numbers are from Home Depot, You may be able to beat them at a wholesaler or contarctor supply and for sure you can get longer than 10' sticks of conduit.

500' 6-3 UF-B (direct bury) $1488
500' 6-3 NM-B $847 + 500' 2" elec conduit $324 = $1171
500' 3 x #6 THHN, 1 x #10 THHN $754 + 500' 2" elec conduit $324 = $1078

I just purchased these items for my water well and RV projects last Fall minus the conduit and the ground wire. I used one of the smaller wiring that I was replacing for a ground wire. I had about 3' of each color wire left over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0356.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	63196   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0550.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	63197  

2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Have existing 42 x 60 ft building to be used to house 4023 dsdp. My problem is that it presently has sufficent wiring for lights and a few recept. I would like to up grade to a 50 amp rv service. I now have number 6 copper. The meter with 200 amp service is 420 ft away. Can someone tell me what size of direct bury I can run for this distence (alum)? Thanks in advance. Roger
THIS web site has a wire size calculator specifically for your purpose.

The entire web site has some very useful information for RVer's.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service