Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Just because they don't need true 240v doesn't mean it's safe to use double 30amp plugs on the same phase. If you pull a lot of current from both plugs you can overload the internal neutral wiring.

joe
I never said anything about doing that, please read my post again.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #16

I didn't mean to get a scuffle going. Thanks for the relies.

Went down the road to a neighbor who has the almost identical Southwind and has been on-the-road for many years.

He told me then showed me how to do what I need to do. He has the same 30a and 50a power box on the pole in his shelter that is found at a campground.
1.Plug 50a cord into the 50a socket and everything is just fine.
2.Plug a 30a to 50a adapter plug into the socket then plug the 50a cord to the adapter plug and everything is just fine. BUT. Don't use the second A/C.

He plugged his Southwind into the 30a and turned on the TV, A/C and some lights. No problem.

I think I found my answer.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I never said anything about doing that, please read my post again.
You didn't suggest it, someone else did. But you did say that most RVs don't really need 240v, even though that's how they're wired. Which is also misleading, since you can't safely hook up a 50amp rig to two separate 120v feeds.

And no, it's not just Newell and Prevost that actually use 240v. The top of the line coaches from Newmar, Tiffen, American, Entegra (Cornerstone), and others could also have 240v appliances in them.

joe
Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
I didn't mean to get a scuffle going. Thanks for the relies.

Went down the road to a neighbor who has the almost identical Southwind and has been on-the-road for many years.

He told me then showed me how to do what I need to do. He has the same 30a and 50a power box on the pole in his shelter that is found at a campground.
1.Plug 50a cord into the 50a socket and everything is just fine.
2.Plug a 30a to 50a adapter plug into the socket then plug the 50a cord to the adapter plug and everything is just fine. BUT. Don't use the second A/C.

He plugged his Southwind into the 30a and turned on the TV, A/C and some lights. No problem.

I think I found my answer.
Yep, that's the answer...

Unless you need or intend to run both A/C units at the same time, your rig will do quite nicely on 30 amps alone. I routinely carry a 50 to 30 amp adapter and use it when necessary. Look at all those fully functional 30 amp rigs running around. 30 amps is quite adequate for most 50 amp RVs unless you try to run both A/C units at the same time or you have a washer/drier unit you intend to use. Pull up, put your 50 to 30 converter on the end of your power cord and plug into a 30 amp plug. At my sticks and bricks, I have a 30 amp plug that I installed for our old pull trailer...works just fine for my 50 amp 5ver; I just don't turn the second A/C unit on.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote