Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
5er near disaster!

We pulled a 5er for 11 years before getting the MH. I was always afraid of something like this happening. That's why I bought Butch's 5th Wheel Latch Kit. Cheapest insurance anyone pulling a 5er can have! I don't know if he is still making these or not.

Towing disaster averted by ‘plastic’ tailgate | RV Daily Report

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
When we bought our 5th wheel I didn't know anything about 5th wheel hitches and the RV dealer installed ours sight unseen. Turns out, it was a Reese 15K hitch with a draw bar that slid completely behind the pin and fit into the slot on the pin so the 5th wheel couldn't even bounce up and out of the hitch. It makes this kind of accident nearly impossible. I've seen a few campers with the jaw type hitch that high hitched their RV and had the 5th wheel fall into the bed of the truck, but it happened at low speed in the campground.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My buddy has done it twice with his B&W hitch. The last one made such a thud I waited to turn and look for about 5 minutes to let him cool off.

Our Reese 20K had the wrap around jaw and I always felt pretty confident with that.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #4
Happy Traveler : )

our first rv, June '14, was a Blackwood bunkhouse 40' pulled by a Dodge 3500 diesel - we had already stayed at several different places in our first journeys without any issue - even had the teens help with the hookup duties.
Getting ready to leave Thomasville GA I backed the truck up to the fifth wheel, felt it latch on, left the engine on and got out to bring up the legs to the 5r. My son and I were standing right next to the front of the 5r when we suddenly felt like the truck was moving - but NO, it was the 5r! - I had not latched the main PIN! On a slight down hill site, the 5r was sliding back - it unlatched from the fifth wheel and slide back along the side of the truck bed, on it's front belly, until the TAILGATE caught it! Amazingly, we realized that the 5r had no damage, only the tailgate of the truck was bent into a 'V'.

If every story could end that well, we'd be set! A truck tailgate is a small price to pay... and before I could even worry about it, we traded it in the next month for a Class A Georgetown - dealership didn't even question the 'missing' tailgate.

but there's more to the story - I had only the day before been shopping for a 'fifth wheel tail gate' replacement for the OEM truck tailgate! Thank the Lord I hadn't found one...
MisterT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #5

I have been trying to get a contact for Butch's Fifth Wheel Latch Kit. All I can find is a non functioning web site. I've also contacted Blue Ox to see if I can purchase a bedsaver from them. They are going out of the bedsaver business due to lack of sales according to the rep I spoke with. Not a lot of options. Of someone has some info I'd love to add a latch. To the OP I'm sorry about the damage but glad you are safe!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We pulled a 5er for 11 years before getting the MH. I was always afraid of something like this happening. That's why I bought Butch's 5th Wheel Latch Kit. Cheapest insurance anyone pulling a 5er can have! I don't know if he is still making these or not.

Towing disaster averted by ‘plastic’ tailgate | RV Daily Report
That would not have happened if the handle had been locked per mfgr. instructions.
BTW, those 5er tailgates will not prevent an improperly latched hitch from coming loose. They just make hitching/unhitching more convenient.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That would not have happened if the handle had been locked per mfgr. instructions.
BTW, those 5er tailgates will not prevent an improperly latched hitch from coming loose. They just make hitching/unhitching more convenient.

My post may have been somewhat misleading. I was referring to a latch kit that catches the pin if it releases from the hitch. Butch must not be making them anymore, at least I can't find him! That was a great product and very inexpensive!

Old 07-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
My post may have been somewhat misleading. I was referring to a latch kit that catches the pin if it releases from the hitch. Butch must not be making them anymore, at least I can't find him! That was a great product and very inexpensive!
That's what the bedsaver attachment does. There are different designs of a bedsaver. BlueOx makes them
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That's what the bedsaver attachment does. There are different designs of a bedsaver. BlueOx makes them

Yeah, I checked out the BedSaver at the time, but Butch's latch kit accomplished the same purpose at about 1/4 the cost!