Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #1

5th wheel basement storage ideas

I have to admit, I am a bit disorganized.

What I am looking for are some ideas to contain the clutter in the basement of our 5th. I have seen a few storage ideas such as plastic boxes and shelving but few and far between.

I have what I need to build shelves or partitions or whatever if it comes to that.

If anyone has the problem solved it would be great to seem some pictures.

GT

Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #2

If you do shelving things will fall off unless you secure them. Would pegboard with hooks solve some of your issues for the broom, rake, etc.? A round mailing tube (postal store) can contain fishing rods. We found that plastic boxes (clear or semi-clear are best) worked well in our 16 years of full-timing.

This is a good time to haul everything out to see what you really have and hopefully, to toss some items.

Put like items in separate piles. Roughly measure the pile, adding for a little extra space. Do this for every pile and starting with the biggest group first, go to WalMart/Target or wherever and look for a box to fit that biggest group but also note if that style comes in different sizes. This is because the same type of box will be easier to stack rather than a bunch of misc. style boxes.

Go home and put that box in your 5th. Now the biggest is loaded so you can see how much room you'll have for the additional boxes. Keep in mind that smaller boxes are easier to haul out. Many items can fit in a shoebox size or a little larger.

Good luck!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #3

I have six plastic bins with locking tops, roughly 7"h by 20" wide by 40" long. I can stack them two or three high. Marked on each side for contents. I use a much smaller box for sewer fittings. Still have a handful of loose stuff but I can manage much better with the bins.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:32 PM   #4

With our new 5th wheel,,, we are going through the same thing.... Our mh had several compartments,, this 5th has one,,, well two with the under the bed ... The plastic bins are working for some things....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #5
IC2

I use plastic bins - cheap and effective for storing 'stuff'. I also put our 5er on a strict diet and have eliminated 'stuff' that was being hauled around, JIC. I do have a fairly extensive tool box, a mid sized DeWalt Tough System piece. Drain hose slinkys and connectors - another plastic bin. There are reels for your power cords though they seem to be space hogs, so I just lay ours neatly on the basement floor.

Then, for travel, I just stop at our local adult beverage store and pickup a box that will hold the various state's tour guides and maps for the direction we will be traveling. These are about the width of the mailing envelopes or a file folder.

There are some things that unfortunately just wont fit anywhere, and they are neatly laid in one of the three basement areas
Old 04-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #6

I just use Rubbermaid storage bins and tubs and group the contents, like sewer stuff, fresh water stuff, etc.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #7

Thanks all,

I agree, the first step is to sort through all the stuff we have accumulated over the 20 years plus of owning several fifth wheels. How many fresh water hoses does one need? And it goes on from there.

Our nearby Walmart has a huge selection of lidded plastic boxes in all sizes so once the various items have been identified and categorized, they will have a home.

We are hoping for a shakedown run in perhaps two weeks to a nearby RV park to allow us to determine both inside and outside organization of stuff. This new fifth has a lot of inside cabinet space which I doubt we will ever fill. Even if we buy Cheerios from CostCo.

Now if it would only stop snowing. I am through with winter!

GT
Old 04-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #8

When I was getting my Arctic Fox ready to go full time, I looked into those roll out trays that bolt to the basement floor that you put your stuff on and pull it in and out like a drawer. They turned out to be pretty expensive and there was a lot of wasted space because they didn't fit my basement very well.

So I copied their concept and built something myself, And kept It simple and cheap
I built what is basically a large drawer about 2 1/2 feet wide and 6 feet long out of 2 by 4s with a plywood bottom. On the bottom of the plywood that slides on my carpeted basement I bought those things you put on the bottom of your furniture to make them slide on your home carpet and stuck them on the bottom of the plywood.
I went to Walmart and bought six of their large plastic storage containers that just fit in the sliding drawer I had just made, and stacked them two high in the drawer.
So now I can pull the drawer out far enough to get to the containers in the back and even though all the containers are full I can still pull the drawer out with one hand.
That sure took a long time to describe I should've just taken a picture.
theboondork
Old 04-25-2016, 11:21 PM   #9

TBD,

Short for your handle.

Great idea building a tray and using furniture sliders. I have what I need to do something similar.

I've built trays before but somehow they did not work out as well as I would have liked. Your idea has inspired me.

Thanks,

GT
Old 04-26-2016, 04:17 PM   #10

Glad to help Graytraveler, if you need any more information about the drawer, or a picture, just let me know I'll be happy to help out.
tbd
Old 04-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #11

Storage Tray

TBD,

Like your blog. Owned an older Arctic Fox 27-5L and liked the layout. The previous owners did not take care of it and it developed dry rot in the walls. Lesson - keep the roof seams caulked.

I have all the materials needed for the tray and have done the measurements. Plan to do the cutting and assembly outside but it snowed, again, last night so will have to wait until the weekend. Will post a pic when finished.

GT
Old 04-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #12

Thank you for visiting my blog, I need all the visitors I can get.
Yeah Graytraveler any leaks are bad news, that's one thing I always keep an eye out for and correct immediately.
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures, I just kind of threw mine together so maybe I can get some ideas from yours on how to make mine better.

tdb
Old 04-28-2016, 10:03 AM   #13

TBD,

A bit off topic but I started the thread so assuming a bit of, what, poetic license?

Bookmarked your blog so can easily visit and enjoy your travels. The Arctic Fox is a solid rig. We purchased a Rockwood mostly because we do not spend that much time on the road and could not justify the higher cost of the AF. I am now thinking perhaps it was a mistake. Oh well. Time will tell. My wife says I am never satisfied.

Full time on the road sure has its appeal. The problem is I have so much stuff, like shop equipment, motorcycles, etc., etc. that I use and do not want to give up. So the RV is our second home for when we git the itch. With the solar, would not be without, we can dry camp a few days at a time not too far from home.

Back to the sliding shelf - I plan to use OSB as the deck and 1x4's for the sides/ends. I am thinking it needs perhaps six sliders. A pair at each end and another pair in the center. Once constructed I will seal it so moisture will not cause a problem. Form follows function so will not be a work of art.

Happy and safe travels,

GT
Old 04-28-2016, 02:29 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We've futzed with how to organize our basement storage quite a bit in the year we've owned our coach. Seems like the biggest challenges have been dealing with the big, odd shaped items that can't be fit (practically) into a nice neat stackable container (this folding chairs, BBQ grill, patio "stuff") - and then dealing with the constraints imposed by the storage area itself. We've in a large coach with two pass thru storage compartments - both outfitted with slide-out trays. The coach chassis rails located near the middle of each compartment impose some restrictions. Putting a tall(er) tote (say a 20 incher) on one side of the tray - prevents you from pulling the sliding tray out from the other side).

The approach that seems to be working for us is to dedicate one of the two storage compartments to "plastic totes" only. The "totes" compartment stores nothing but totes. When it comes to selecting totes - we've come to realize that 2 medium totes are better than 1 large one.

The other compartment is dedicated to the odd sized stuff that must be dealt with in it's odd shaped form. This compartment can be snotty to deal with ... but, it seems to be the only way to handle that stuff.

I'm giving some serious thought to removing the slide-out tray from the "totes" compartment. It would reclaim effectively lower the "useful bottom" of a 96" x 48" compartment by 4" and in effect reclaim more than 10 cubic feet of usable storage space.

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, storage