Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2020, 06:53 AM   #1

5th wheel electrical problem

We have been living full time in our 30 ft Rockwood for about 2 years now as we travel and finish building my house. We noticed 2 days ago the 110v lights and microwave are flickering, but the 12v lights are not affected. This is not a 24/7 happening but it is happening many times a day. There are no breakers being tripped. I get my power thru the main box in my workshop main panel. The workshop lights are not affected. Any ideas?
mem5113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2020, 07:13 AM   #2

Feel the plugs, both ends, for heat, thats a sign of bad connections.

Have you pulled the plug and look for arcing on the blades ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:37 AM   #3

I have unplugged each of the lamps and plugged them back in checking to see if there was any difference in the flickering.... no difference, I did not see any problems or oxidation on the plug prongs. Also forgot to say in the original post. The gas furnace fan also flickers on and off as the lights.
mem5113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #4

Classic signs of low power or momentary interuption. Check your converter. On my fiver when the converter fan came on lights would flicker. Also check your house battery. A bad battery could be drawing max amps thus the flicker when the converter kicks on.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:36 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
It is going to require you to check the connections starting at the Workshop box breaker for your shore outlet. Make sure all connections are clean and tight. The prongs inside the power cord where it plugs in are also prone to getting hot and losing contact over time. Next follow the cord to your surge/ems if you have one or you main breakers if you don't. Those connections need to be clean and tight. You have a loose or corroded connection somewhere along the line between the shore power outlet and the breaker buss bar. It could be hot, neutral, or ground.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
First thin to do is power off the RV and inverter if you have one. Open the breaker panel and check every connection for tightness. You may have a loose ground or neutral.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:38 PM   #7

Do what spdracr39 says and do it quickly. RVs burn extremely fast.

Your life is at risk.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:22 AM   #8

Buy one of these to check you AC voltage near the microwave (Lowe’s & Home Depot should have them)

https://www.amazon.com/Walmeck-80-30...S5SFD3RNPJQGM2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CABB3D11-99B5-4DA5-911C-245CC52B970D.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	273200  
KRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mem5113 View Post
We have been living full time in our 30 ft Rockwood for about 2 years now as we travel and finish building my house. We noticed 2 days ago the 110v lights and microwave are flickering, but the 12v lights are not affected. This is not a 24/7 happening but it is happening many times a day. There are no breakers being tripped. I get my power thru the main box in my workshop main panel. The workshop lights are not affected. Any ideas?
1st, you must have a volt meter to work on electric problems. Just looking won't cut it. How many 120 volt lights do you have?

Lights and Microwave will be on separate circuits. You must start at the Shore Power with a meter and work your way back to the RV. Looking for 120 volts to Neutral AND ground. Assuming 30 amp service and no generator here. Take apart the shore power and look there also.

You must take apart EVERY connection in the order I explained. SHORE POWER TO RV BREAKER BOX. Extension cords, everything.

If you have an inverter you must check that also. Check and tighten EVERY connection you come across.

Remove every circuit breaker and look at the contacts. Tighten EVERY screw in the breaker box.

As for the gas furnace fan. That is 12 volts so you have 2 different electric problems. Now you must go thru the same process as before checking any and all 12 volt connections starting at the battery.

I am very interested in your 120 volt lighting????? I'm assuming you are referring to plug in lamps as I had in my 5th wheel bedroom night stands.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:27 PM   #10

How can a loose ground on 120vac be causing lights to flicker. That just a safety ground and would not cause that and if it is there a short going on somewhere. Loose neutral or power would cause that. Now on 12vdc loose ground or power can cause problems.
Jayco19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, electric, electrical, problem