Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

5th wheel in lock up!

I talked my nephew into getting into camping and his first purchase was a used 31’ 5r with bunkhouse. Paid cash and has title. The dealer in Tulsa Oklahoma i44 RV also sold him a warranty. After a couple of outings he made a punch list of repairs and i44 nicely said drop it off and they would take care of them. Telling my nephew it would be a few weeks which he was fine with. Forward a couple months. He calls to see how they are coming and the phone number doesn’t work. The salesman also gave him his cell number and only goes to VM. My nephew drove by the dealership yesterday and the lot is empty other than his 5r and a TT. The challenge is it’s in a fenced area and the fence is chain locked. He can’t find anyone around there that knows anything about what happened.
I told him to get some bolt cutters and get his rig, but that would be trespassing.
What would you do?????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4EC77347-F260-42EB-8BB6-EFE9A21ABB10.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	260456  
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #2

Start with the cops.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #3

I agree! Go to the local police department with your paperwork. Good luck to you!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #4

Police say he would have to go before a judge to get permission.to get it.
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #5

good luck! I would talk to the judge. then try and find out what happened .I hope someone hasn't put a lien on the property and contents because of a bankruptcy or something.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdinatl View Post
My nephew drove by the dealership yesterday and the lot is empty other than his 5r and a TT. The challenge is it’s in a fenced area and the fence is chain locked. He can’t find anyone around there that knows anything about what happened.
That looks very much like a scam dealership. I'd be worried about the title. Is it a legit title, or something faked by the dealership? I'd make a stop at the DMV (or your equivalent if it's not called that) and find out if he actually owns that camper.

Quote:
I told him to get some bolt cutters and get his rig, but that would be trespassing.
What would you do?????
Well, yes, it would be trespassing. Who's going to complain though? If he owns it, he can't be accused of stealing it from himself... Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to cut the chain, swing that gate open, hitch up, and pull out. Everyone says a 5ers biggest benefit is how fast you can hook up and go. Pull it a couple of miles down the road to a Walmart parking lot and give it a good look to make sure it's safe to tow and to find any damages. There's really only one issue I can see...

Quote:
Police say he would have to go before a judge to get permission.to get it.
And that's the potential issue. Is this gate locked by the local police and that's why they want him to talk to a judge to get clearance to go get it? If so, then don't touch that gate until he's talked to a judge. He's be subject to all kinds of legal issues then. It shouldn't be hard to get a judge to see him in such a circumstance if the lot is locked by police order.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #7

He should have pulled it out of there immediately, then done any inquiries. No one could have known who popped the lock.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:49 AM   #8

Cut the chain get your rv have your paperwork with you
Daverene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #9

Its pretty simple.
Do a county records search for the owner of the dealership he bought the rig from.
Find out if there was a dealers license and whose name it was in. Look for suits under that name. Find out what happened to the dealership.
Do a DMV search for the vin number of the rig he supposedly owns. Find the status of the title and the registered owner.
Do a county records search for the property address. Find the lot owner. Discover the status of the property. You may get the land owner to open the gate. He might actually be looking for the owner of the rig to get it out of there.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Its pretty simple.
Do a county records search for the owner of the dealership he bought the rig from.
Find out if there was a dealers license and whose name it was in. Look for suits under that name. Find out what happened to the dealership.
Do a DMV search for the vin number of the rig he supposedly owns. Find the status of the title and the registered owner.
Do a county records search for the property address. Find the lot owner. Discover the status of the property. You may get the land owner to open the gate. He might actually be looking for the owner of the rig to get it out of there.
do this^^^ there could be a lot of different scenarios in play here.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #11

If it were me I would cut the lock and get my trailer. but I'm retired in my 60's and a misdemeanor B&E charge gets me probation and a fine. Your nephew however is younger and likely still has a career and perhaps other ambitions to pursue. Tell him to go see a local attorney and do it right.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #12

Police said to talk to the judge and that is what I would do. See what he or she says and go from there. This might be all that's needed to resolve the situation but if not, then at least the judge should be able to steer you into the right direction.

Cutting the lock and grabbing the trailer might be in the cards as a last resort,,, If I had the prim and proper paperwork showing that the trailer was mine.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
good luck! I would talk to the judge. then try and find out what happened .I hope someone hasn't put a lien on the property and contents because of a bankruptcy or something.
Jay D.
I agree, since the police already know what's going on,

(you already talked to them) cutting the fence and retrieving the 5er will be trespassing, destroying private property (fence or lock), and if bankruptcy is the cause of this, theft from the creditors who filed the lien garnishment.
Do this the legal way,hire a lawyer; will be much simpler in the end, and eliminate you spending money to possibly get out of jail in lieu of the lawyer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdinatl View Post
I talked my nephew into getting into camping and his first purchase was a used 31’ 5r with bunkhouse. Paid cash and has title. The dealer in Tulsa Oklahoma i44 RV also sold him a warranty. After a couple of outings he made a punch list of repairs and i44 nicely said drop it off and they would take care of them. Telling my nephew it would be a few weeks which he was fine with. Forward a couple months. He calls to see how they are coming and the phone number doesn’t work. The salesman also gave him his cell number and only goes to VM. My nephew drove by the dealership yesterday and the lot is empty other than his 5r and a TT. The challenge is it’s in a fenced area and the fence is chain locked. He can’t find anyone around there that knows anything about what happened.

What would you do?????
Call the police and the property owner
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel