Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
Thor Owners Club
5th wheel length

Has anyone had any problem with 42ft FW getting into rv parks, state parks or Coe parks due to the length?

Vetl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Some parks can be tight for a rig that length. Many parks will specify a length limit on specific sites. Maneuverability getting into an adequate site can be an unknown factor. One state park had a 36' rig limit. Our rig is 36'6" and I could barely make it into a large site simply because of inconveniently placed trees. Most of the time we don't have a problem but I usually do some research ahead of time to avoid surprises.

Do your homework in advance and reserve adequately sized sites at destination locations.

Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
Usually COE parks and Federal parks will specify max length, state parks some do others don.t. My rig is 37ft and we usually stay in private parks, why I can get in to most of them and not worry about trees damaging the roof or the rig. Try RV park reviews . com to find out about the park in question or try on line reviews this helps a lot.

Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
It's not only the RV length. For a 42' 5th wheel you'd be driving a heavy duty truck so no, you'd probably not fit in many state or national parks. However, there are some COE parks that have huge parking sites. RV parks will be no problem.

We had no problems with our 40' motorhome in public parks but then our tow vehicle was a small Jeep.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #5
But if anyone ever asks you how long your RV is, tell them about 4' shorter than it is.

I promise you the Length Police will never bring out a tape measure to dispute your word.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:02 AM   #6
We've had a 41' motor home, a 44' 5th wheel and now a 43' 5th wheel. We've found some campgrounds that say they limit to 35' that we've been able to get in and out of and others that said they could accommodate us and found that the site might be long enough but the width of the road and site, or trees or rocks wouldn't allow us to get in. As someone said you can rely on private campgrounds more than public ones but we've found that public campgrounds often have work campers manning the phones that will give you good advice and, as someone said, RVParkReviews.com is a great source of information.

The bottom line is that we've sometimes found a nice park where we're too big to get in but never have found an area where we wanted to stay where there was not a campground that could accommodate us. If you would be more comfortable in a bigger RV then I say go for it. We've been very happy with ours.
PostMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It should be obvious that your site choices will be restricted, and that some parks won't have either roads or sites that can accomodate a 42 foot trailer and the 20 ft truck you will be pulling it with. At the moment I'm parked on a site that barely accommodates my 40 foot coach & car, and it's a recently constructed park. So yes, there will be some places you cannot go at all, and more where there are only a few sites you can use. I know of Forest Service parks with 25-30 foot limits and a few state and national parks with 35 or 36 foot limits. And serious enough that they actually measure large rigs. Smokey Mountain NP has a 35 foot limit marked right on the pavement of the check-in lane. Joshua Tree NP has a 24 foot limit, last I knew (things sometimes change).

That said, we always find palces our 40 footer fits, so its not a big concern.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel