Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2005, 02:29 PM   #1

Hello all,
In researching for our first 5er purchase a seller brought up something I was not prepared for - length. Our perceived needs have led us to look for a 38' - 44' trailer towed by a MDT. We need 2 zone living and 4000# NCC. The seller mentioned he chose a 34' trailer because a lot of campgrounds are too tight to maneuver anything larger. We are actively considering a '99 44' Teton and I/H combination.
Your comments, please.

Gary

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2005, 02:29 PM   #2

Hello all,
In researching for our first 5er purchase a seller brought up something I was not prepared for - length. Our perceived needs have led us to look for a 38' - 44' trailer towed by a MDT. We need 2 zone living and 4000# NCC. The seller mentioned he chose a 34' trailer because a lot of campgrounds are too tight to maneuver anything larger. We are actively considering a '99 44' Teton and I/H combination.
Your comments, please.

Gary

Old 04-16-2005, 03:53 PM   #3

Hello gary & welcome.

No doubt - the length's you mention are not going to get you into a lot of older, smaller C.G's.

Friends of ours tow a 37 ftr with an MDT - they are limited to some C.G's.

You don't mention where you are, or what type of camping you do, so it's very hard to generalize.

Our coach is 32 ft and we have had a few probs (especialy in older C.Gs with "short sites" and "sharp corners" - we do have an long box F350 and are 50ft oal.

That being said - there are many newer campgrounds that can handle "Big Rigs"

You really will have to search for the sites you can easily access.

Hope this helps.

Barry

road2002runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 03:56 PM   #4

My thoughts are that you would need to decide what types of places you want to stay.
Many private campgrounds can accomadate a trailer that size
But also many state and national parks cannot.
Take alook at a campground guide ( Trailer Life,Woodalls)
There are others but I tihnk those are most common.
See if the places you might be interested in say they have "big rig sights".

Milt
Old 04-16-2005, 04:46 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gary,
Welcome to IRV2. I previously owned a 36' 5th towed that I towed with a long box F350 dually. You'll have two advantages with the rig that you're considering. Although it will be long, you'll find that the turning geometry of the MDT will be quite different than that of a HD pickup truck. The wheel cut is much sharper and the overall length of the MDT won't be that much greater than a long box crew cab pickup. That being said, narrow roads will limit your ability to back your unit into a spot.
We decided to abandon the 5th for a moho of the same length and we find that we are less limited in our choice of camp grounds.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:32 PM   #6

Thank you for your responses.
Now to further questions. This Teton has a height of 13' 4", the highest of any trailer I've researched. Is this inviting trouble? It also has a 5-6 year old rubber roof - any comments?
I have started looking for a RV inspection company in the Atlanta area. Has anyone had any experience with these?
Again, thank you for your time.

Gary