Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
5th Wheel On Its Side - AZ I40

Driving through eastern AZ on I-40 en route to Prescott, we came across this sad situation - a 5th on its side, along with the tow vehicle. Looked like everyone got out OK. Winds were fierce, with cross wind gusts of 40+ MPH.

Drive safe out there...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5th.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	62587   Click image for larger version

Name:	5th-1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	62588  

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #2

Not a good way to start your camping trip,I'm glad nobody got hurt.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cross winds are the worst!
Old 05-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That looks like a big trailer for that SRW truck.
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have no idea what happened in this accident and would need a police report to get the cause, but it brings up something I see all the time in Ca and Az. That's.....toyhaulers being towed by lifted 3/4 ton 4x4's at 70 mph. In one trip to Az, we saw two of them on their side. In California, the towing speed limit is 55 mph, but most tow at 65mph.

I like the look of a lifted 4x4, but I also know that it's like detuning the vehicle when towing. They lift the truck, lift the trailer and then tow something that is way over the weight capacity of the truck. Add to that speed and usually a younger inexperienced driver and it makes for a dangerous situation.

Like I said, I don't know what happened in this situation, but I see a very large trailer hooked to a single rear wheel 4x4. This may have been an unavoidable accident, but it just reminded me of the unsafe trucks I see all the time. I'm not the weight or towing police, but some things are just dangerous.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Like I said, I don't know what happened in this situation, but I see a very large trailer hooked to a single rear wheel 4x4. This may have been an unavoidable accident, but it just reminded me of the unsafe trucks I see all the time. I'm not the weight or towing police, but some things are just dangerous.
X2, Don , I agree 100%, and I can't get enough resolution on the picture to check out the rim on the truck spare tire, but considering the size of the truck spare vs the size of the trailer spare, and the visible exhaust . That TV, may well be a 1/2 ton gas, 4x4.
Then take the length of the truck vs the under carriage of the trailer, and you come up with what may be one of the biggest,5ers, on the market.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:03 AM   #7

When I had my 5er, I got hit with strong cross winds in Texas. I knew enough to slow down, but it was still scary with each gust.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I have no idea what happened in this accident and would need a police report to get the cause, but it brings up something I see all the time in Ca and Az. That's.....toyhaulers being towed by lifted 3/4 ton 4x4's at 70 mph. In one trip to Az, we saw two of them on their side. In California, the towing speed limit is 55 mph, but most tow at 65mph.

I like the look of a lifted 4x4, but I also know that it's like detuning the vehicle when towing. They lift the truck, lift the trailer and then tow something that is way over the weight capacity of the truck. Add to that speed and usually a younger inexperienced driver and it makes for a dangerous situation.

Well said Don!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The reason I made my remark above was I used to tow a 5th wheel with my 3/4 ton duramax and it was no fun. I would on tow at 60 mph max. I was always getting passed, but slow and steady was/is my way. I was within the weight rating of my truck but will never do it again, I will stick with my class A at 55-60 mph. I hope everything turn out for the family of the wreck.
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #10

We have been across that road several times in our 27' class A and the winds can be Terrible !!! Last time I was down to 45-50 mph,, and I'm a little more used to high profile vehicles than some as I drive a truck... Doesn't make me any better than anybody,, just IF you feel uneasy,, Slow Down or park it !!! Best wishes to those in the accident.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
The 5th was a Dutchmen Grand Junction. I couldn't tell what the make/model of the truck was due to the angle as we drove by.

Best approach is slow waaay down or park it if there's major winds b;owing you around.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #12

There were some serious winds on Sunday here in NM, just a couple hundred miles east of that location. Hard to tell for sure, but that truck might be a Ford F-250/350 4x4 superduty model. Hard to tell for sure, but the solid front axle and the front parallel leaf springs are used on the Fords. Cross winds are the worst and very unsettling.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel