Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We've had both and prefer the 5th wheel because it just tows better and is much simpler to connect and disconnect. Others have mentioned the down side so I won't go there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
Items not mentioned...#1. with the 5er you can see the hitch and the pin while trying to hook up. #2. while towing a 5er the weight is over the wheels...great stability! #3. with the 5er you pay more on toll roads because of the height! What is that all about? #4. mentioned, bumper pulls seam, at least for the RV shows to be a little bit more cost effective builds. But they are more affordable to buy. #5. I think a bumper pull will be EZ'er to sell vs a 5er.
good luck on your decision
How do you figure on your point #3 that with a 5er you pay more in tolls?

I have never paid any more $ for tolls than a travel trailer. This is based on number of axles that are on the road surface not height of unit.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #17

5th wheels are generally a lot more expensive than TT's. You'll also need a bigger truck to haul a 5th wheel. Most TT's under 30 feet can be towed with a well equipped 1/2 ton pickup. A lot of people start with a TT or popup camper and over the years, creep up to a Class A DP that costs more than most houses. It's a slippery slope that's a lot of fun to slide down.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by memtb View Post
This is by "no means" a slam on motorhomes, only a confession of my paranoia . We have lots of personal stuff, some a little pricey, in our rig. The most likely item to fail in a highway driven vehicle, is something in the drivetrain! If my truck fails, it's in the shop and I'm in my camper in a rv park (with my personal belongings). If my motorhome quits on me,I'm in a motel, while much of my stuff in in a shop. I cannot monitor my belongings. Again that's my personal issue! memtb
Typically, full-timers stay with their motorhomes when in for service or repairs. They don't go to motels. We've made appointments for a place in the direction we were traveling, got there the previous night; stayed on their premises, most often with electric and the motorhome was taken in early morning. We took our laptop, phone and other special things, as needed. Then we spent time in our car having a leisurely breakfast out, did errands, laundry or did some local siteseeing, a movie or relaxing in a park. When we returned our motorhome was completed (and nothing was ever stolen) if early we would take off or we were offered to spend another night. In 16 yr. of full-timing we never went to a motel.

I'd say it's easier to make appts. and get the servicing done promptly as a full-timer because they know it's your home.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:16 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
How do you figure on your point #3 that with a 5er you pay more in tolls?

I have never paid any more $ for tolls than a travel trailer. This is based on number of axles that are on the road surface not height of unit.
well, in Ohio they figure it cost more to maintain the road because of height...lol I also read on this forum...that someone else has mentioned it. got to love our elected folks...they will figure out how to get every penny out of our pockets!
click the link below!

Ohio Turnpike height rule leads to higher tolls for passenger vehicles with objects on roof | cleveland.com

http://www.ohioturnpike.org/e-zpass/toll-rates
Old 02-15-2017, 08:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
well, in Ohio they figure it cost more to maintain the road because of height...lol I also read on this forum...that someone else has mentioned it. got to love our elected folks...they will figure out how to get every penny out of our pockets!
click the link below!

Ohio Turnpike height rule leads to higher tolls for passenger vehicles with objects on roof | cleveland.com

Fare Calculator
I have read those articles that you posted and if you pull a trailer of any kind you could pay the same toll road fees based on the class of vehicle as a 5er. This pertains to 4 axles on the road which you will have with a travel trailer and 5er, with both being over 7.6" tall (90").
Old 02-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFM View Post
We had to postpone our ordering of a TT due to changes in our current plans. With that said, we are now thinking that we may want to look at 5th Wheel as an option. We plan to buy a Ford F250 diesel to tow. It is just me and my wife and, at this point, we will be traveling July and August only. Can anyone share their experience and opinion on choosing either 5th Wheel or TT based on what I have shared. Thanks in advance for replies. Have a great day!
Do you need / want the truck bed for storage or do you prefer better handling of the 5er?that's basically what it comes down to.

Before buying a f250 diesel, note the payload capacity. The f250 diesel has about 1900lbs payload vs abround 3000lbs for the f250 gas. The f350 diesel has a much higher payload and is licensed for over 10000lbs gvwr.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel