Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

5th wheel vs class A

Which is the best way to go 5th wheel or class a diesel ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The best is whatever you prefer. The 5er has more storage and more floor plans. The Diesel A has the access while moving. Either way you will be towing something--A toad, or a trailer. Good luck.

JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #3

It really depends on what you want. Before my wife and I decided on our last class A, I was thinking of a 5th wheel. But for our needs a 5th wheel was not a good option. I think a 5th wheel set up is cheaper even including a tow vehicle but we like the floor plans of class A's plus I have the option of taking my hobby trailer with me and triple towing may not be an option for some states with a 5th wheel. Plus the tow vehicle would only be used primarily when towing and didn't plan on it to be a daily driver storage became an issue.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas best View Post
Which is the best way to go 5th wheel or class a diesel ?
We all have our own different preferences, priorities & travel styles, so the best for me is not the best for you.
The best for you is whichever one fits your personal preferences.

I actually have one of each because I see benefits in each depending on which type of travel I'm doing. I use my class A DP mostly in the summers when I travel continuously with short stays at each stop. I use my big 5th wheel (and big truck to haul it) during the winters when I go south and sit in the same spot for months.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We pulled a 5er for 10 years before getting the MH. We loved our 5er!

For me the first question would be how you plant to use it. If you're still working and your usage will be mostly weekends and a couple of weeks vacation, then I would go with the 5th wheel. If you're retired and plan to do a lot of long-distance traveling, then the Class A is the way to go!

Of course, there's the matter of budget. The Class A is going to cost more initially and the maintenance will be higher.

I have to disagree with Judy on the storage. We had a 36' 5er. When we decided to get a MH we figured that to have the same amount of floor space we would need a 40' MH. I would guess that we have twice the amount of storage space in the MH as we had in the 5er.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #6

Storage is pretty much all over the board. It really depends on the Class A or 5er. We looked at a lot of class A's and the storage was really minimal. These are in the 32'+ range also. It is kind of like floor plan, need to be happy with the storage space in what ever you choose. We finally found a class A that had the floor plan and storage in the price I wanted to stay in and could not be happier. Well I could be happier but it would have likely cost me more $$$$$$
Old 03-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We pulled a 5er for 10 years before getting the MH. We loved our 5er!

For me the first question would be how you plant to use it. If you're still working and your usage will be mostly weekends and a couple of weeks vacation, then I would go with the 5th wheel. If you're retired and plan to do a lot of long-distance traveling, then the Class A is the way to go!

Of course, there's the matter of budget. The Class A is going to cost more initially and the maintenance will be higher.

I have to disagree with Judy on the storage. We had a 36' 5er. When we decided to get a MH we figured that to have the same amount of floor space we would need a 40' MH. I would guess that we have twice the amount of storage space in the MH as we had in the 5er.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Good advice.

We also had a 5th wheel before our MH. Before that it was a slide in P/U camper, a pull behind and a Class C.

Also, our MH has much more storage than our 38' 5th wheel.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #8

We owned and traveled in 5ers for 15 years. We liked our 5ers and have wonderful memories of traveling in them. Now that we are older a MH became attractive for ease of setup when traveling. We bought the MH in my signature and love it. What finally caused us to decide on a MH was our trip to Alaska in 2012. Setting up and tearing down every night/morning wore us out as much as driving and sightseeing (I was 70 then).
Traveling is more convenient and relaxing in our MH. Stopping for a lunch break takes less time than did the 5er. We are still learning the ins/outs of living in our MH, but now I do not dislike setting-up every evening after driving all day. Even if we have to unhook our car for a back-in parking space, that only takes about 5-7 minutes, which is about the same time it took to unhook the dually from our 5er.
We have less sq.ft. in the 40' MH than the 40' 5er because it had 3 slides, whereas our MH has one. We do not like to stay in one spot for a month, 2 weeks at most. That means ease of setup and tear-down for traveling is important for us at our ages.
One more thing that we both discovered. Access to everything inside with slides in is more important that we ever thought about until our last 5er-lesson learned. Our MH layout permits access to everything with the slide retracted, quite convenient when stopping for lunch, over-nighting at WalMart or Flying J,potty break, etc.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:36 AM   #9

We're not full timers, and I doubt seriously if we ever will be. So for me, it came down to how I could justify owning the pickup as a daily driver - when not in use as a tow vehicle. Not having any other use for a pickup of that size, dealing with it's gas mileage, while in heavy traffic or parking lot scenarios is something I don't have to be concerned about when driving our CRV/toad.

That's me and our budget though. Note that our DP cost about what a nice tow vehicle would.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #10

We have had both 5th wheels and motor homes. Both have good selling points - the kicker for my wife is with the motorhome she get get up, go to the refrigerator (or bathroom) without having to ask me to pull over somewhere.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
We use our pickup at home and we love the 5er.....might be a time in our life when we will look at a class A.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #12

We went to a motorhome just to get rid of the second stairway. The one you have to climb for the bathroom or bed. As we aged, our hips were being put through a workout up and down. Mileage is a little less but convenience is a little greater. Have to take a toad vs the tow truck.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
DW said she can't get to the bathroom in a 5er at 65mph and we toad the pickup.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #14

Have any of you ever seen what happens to an unrestrained passenger in a MH at moment of impact? I have! From the drivers seat. My first wife flew from the bathroom door to the dash, where she suddenly stopped. I won't list her injuries, but 35 years later she still has restricted movement in her arms and shoulders. The ambulance crew said she was lucky to be alive.
Since then I always stop for anything requiring moving about in the MH.
You cannot control the driver in front of you slamming on the brakes to avoid a dog crossing the interstate.
Who is in such a hurry they cannot stop for a potty break? Interstate rest areas are usually around 50 miles apart, seldom more than 80, and there are interchanges more often than that.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, class a