Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #99

Yeah at times any RV can start to get small... the longer you have it the smaller it gets. Now regarding a 5th Wheel versus a MH, I have had both and the real draw back on the 5th appears when you go to state park campgrounds where they manage to have trees at the edge of pavement thus leaving you no room for the front if the pickup truck as you try to back into your site... yeah it's doable but a slow process especially with a truck along the lines of a F-250 or larger as we had at that time..... yeah I miss that truck !!! We now travel with a Ford Escape on a dolly and while it would be easier to flat tow I just don't like the wear that it puts on the front end and since the dolly has a fold down wheel I just push it back in the site then park the MH. Yeah an extra step but hey I'm retired and nothing else to do but play around with the toys.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sireman View Post
Had the MH two years! It just wasn't functional! Setting up computers would take up the entire dining room table. When our children would meet up with us on the road, the spare bed was between the kitchen and the bedroom! People we just met were reluctant to come inside for whatever reason, etc, etc.
The only reason your MH was not functional to you was because of the floorplan you chose.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #101

Through the years, we've owned three motor homes, two 5th wheelers, four travel trailers, and a pop up that started the whole escapade. To each their own as we all have different lifestyles, interests, talents and passions. We traded our last 5er for a very comfortable MH last July, and I quickly recalled how much more difficult it is to maintain the MH. When winter rolled around, for example, I just winterized the 5th wheel and put it up for a few months. The MH requires much more care and there are many niceties that tend to break down. Not sure if we're on our last unit or not, but if I get the bug and extra cash to afford another screwy inclination, we'll clobber our retirement budget once again with a Grand Design 5er hooked up to an F-350...

Let's face it. We're all nuts!
Old 12-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #102

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we went from a 5er to motorhome one of my main reasons was that we going to jump to DRW truck to tow the 5er we wanted. Driving a big DRW truck 90% of the miles without towing and towing 10% of the time isn't what I wanted to do.

Now with our Motorhome, we can pull 10,000 pounds so it opens up a lot of options. We currently tow a Jeep Wrangler when we go somewhere that will be four wheeling. Tow the Jeep Grand Cherokee when not planning to 4 wheeling and want the nicer ride.
I toyed with the idea of buying an older Jeep and making into a real off-road vehicle but I getting keep that look from the wife that says no your not. Since I sold my 58 and 65 Corvette a few years ago I suggested that we purchase a 67 Camero and car trailer and would go major cruise-ins around the country I got that OK. We are not lookout for a 67 Camero SS.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
The reason to get a fiver over a diesel pusher is cost. The MoHo can go pear shaped in a hurry. See the Cummins Valve drop threads. With a truck to pull the fiver, you have many more service options. You can live in the fiver while the truck is maintained or repaired or replaced.

The reason to get the diesel pusher is quality of life if you can afford it. Best is the situation where you travel from a home base and return to that place when repairs, maintenance or replacement is required. The toad needs to be substantial and not just an around town or off road solution. It may have to take you 1-2000 miles home while the DP gets rebuilt.

The down side to both - The DP roaring down the road smoking as it heads to the shop to have the turbo replaced after three years on the road. The fiver parked on a lot as your retirement home.

The up side to both - The DP is comfortable and self contained about everywhere. The Fiver can be glamping with space with room for toys and it parks with minimal maintenance when you do not need it.

Whatever you decide - understand that there are risks and rewards with the choice you make. Research and find the best solution for you and your lifestyle.

Engines can blow up with trucks just as well as they do on diesel pushers. In 2000 while driving through Richfield, Utah pulling a 26' tailer with a brand new Dodge three quarter ton truck with a Cummins engine it blew up climbing a gradual grade. Made a big hole on the side of the block. To continue on our hunting trip to Colorado we had to rent a U-haul truck to pull our trailer to destination and left the truck at a Dodge dealer to get the engine replaced. So my point to you sir is that engines can blow up on trucks just as well as they do on diesel pusher motor homes. I know about the problem Cummins had with the ISL 400 and the wrist pin issue. But don't make it sound like diesel pushers are the only one's with engine problems. Trucks are the same way. Does not matter how much you pay for a vehicle, IF it is mechanical, it can break down at any time.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #104

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I content that most things RV involves tradeoffs for most people. At least for those of us that use their RVs in multiple capacities. Cost, quality, size and floor plans, intended use (location, seasons, toys, other people), amount of blitz, size of your bank account, your skill level in handling different rigs, service and repair skill set, etc all factor in the tradeoff equation.

In many cases these factors will change over time and thus the "right" RV changes as well. All RVs have their place in somebodies' life from simple tent campers to multi-million DPs. They key is for each user to find their best fit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #105

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just talk with a guy I know that took a quick trip down into Texas with his 5er on a weeks vacation. He was T-Boned in the truck while out sightseeing and caused quite a bit damage. Insurance is going to cover it but the body shop said it would three to four weeks before they could get fixed and on back the road. He talk with the campgrounds about leaving the 5er there but they didn't have room and had to find temp storage for the 5er and had to pay to get moved. Then he rented a car to get family home since he could spend three weeks waiting on the truck to be repaired. Now he is going to have to find a way to get back down and get his 5er which is 1400 miles away. If that was me I would just drove the motorhome home or if the motorhome broke down I would drive the toad back home. Some of us have to be places other than camping and can't just wait for it be fixed.

People keep mentioning the cost of engine repairs on diesel motorhome but never had any repairs on motorhome but had lots of problems with the diesel truck DEF system and numerous recalls.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
Engines can blow up with trucks just as well as they do on diesel pushers. In 2000 while driving through Richfield, Utah pulling a 26' tailer with a brand new Dodge three quarter ton truck with a Cummins engine it blew up climbing a gradual grade. Made a big hole on the side of the block. To continue on our hunting trip to Colorado we had to rent a U-haul truck to pull our trailer to destination and left the truck at a Dodge dealer to get the engine replaced. So my point to you sir is that engines can blow up on trucks just as well as they do on diesel pusher motor homes. I know about the problem Cummins had with the ISL 400 and the wrist pin issue. But don't make it sound like diesel pushers are the only one's with engine problems. Trucks are the same way. Does not matter how much you pay for a vehicle, IF it is mechanical, it can break down at any time.

Exactly the point, if your MH engine had blown up then your hunting trip would have been over. Replacing a truck to continue the trip is doable and repairing or replacing the truck will be less expensive than a MH engine. There is no perfect RV, they all have pros and cons.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #107

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Exactly the point, if your MH engine had blown up then your hunting trip would have been over. Replacing a truck to continue the trip is doable and repairing or replacing the truck will be less expensive than a MH engine. There is no perfect RV, they all have pros and cons.

This thread is about "5th Wheel vs. Diesel Pusher" what would be the course of action if you on the way to your hunting trip and truck broke down and you have a 5th wheel, not a TT. I have not seen any U-Haul renting trucks with 5er hitches. If I was in the motorhome I would have towed to repair shop and either drove toad to my home or if I could find a hotel in the area I was going to hunt it won't ruining my trip. I would have to return at later date and pick the motorhome.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #108

Quote:
On our first trip to Alaska we decided to buy a small 5th wheel and truck. They weren't new but we bought both from private parties and were confident in their care after seeing their home, other vehicles and yard. They took care of their things. We took the truck in for inspection. The owner gave us all maintenance papers.

We left our 40' motorhome in Arizona and took off for Alaska. Ten days later the truck engine blew in Death Valley. The two tows came from Lone Pine, CA and it took 12 days to find a used engine for the truck. Once repaired we took off..... for Arizona …. to drop the truck & 5th wheel at a consignment place and to pick up our motorhome and Jeep for the trip to Alaska.

We had absolutely no problem on the Alaskan trip. We shouldn't have tried the other way. We had lots of room to stretch out on rainy days and our Jeep worked awesome on the narrow two-tracks we explored.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
This thread is about "5th Wheel vs. Diesel Pusher" what would be the course of action if you on the way to your hunting trip and truck broke down and you have a 5th wheel, not a TT. I have not seen any U-Haul renting trucks with 5er hitches. If I was in the motorhome I would have towed to repair shop and either drove toad to my home or if I could find a hotel in the area I was going to hunt it won't ruining my trip. I would have to return at later date and pick the motorhome.

If your truck breaks down hauling a fifth wheel, there are still creative options to get the fifth wheel hauled to your destination. I would check with a local RV park or RV dealer to hire someone to haul for a per mile fee and follow it with a rental car. The hunting trip could still go on as planned with some added expense. A MH break down would be a hard hit to a hunting trip, there just aren't many motels in the deep woods where I would hunt!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #110

Ford Super Duty Owner
I could rent a motorhome cheaper that you could pay a towing company to tow a 5er a few hundred miles to the hunting site. When we went Elk hunting we drove over 1000 miles that would be on heck of towing bill both ways. LOL Still would have my jeep to drive when I get there. I guess I could have them tow my Motorhome to the hunting site and would still have my jeep to drive LOL

Quote:
If your truck breaks down hauling a fifth wheel, there are still creative options to get the fifth wheel hauled to your destination. I would check with a local RV park or RV dealer to hire someone to haul for a per mile fee and follow it with a rental car. The hunting trip could still go on as planned with some added expense. A MH break down would be a hard hit to a hunting trip, there just aren't many motels in the deep woods where I would hunt!
Old 12-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #111

Quote:
grab the tent and supplies out of the side compartment throw them in the jeep and carry on
Old 12-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #112

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any electrical/mechanical device is subject to failures, no matter the brand. It is just the nature of the beasts. You may cite examples of every kind of failure you can imagine and the related troubles that ensure. But there are also countless examples of people who have RVed where ever using every kind of an RV and had little or no troubles. RVing is an adventure.

Perhaps we have been fooled into thinking that modern travel operates on a predictable schedule and at a dependable service level anticipating some timeline. Compare this to travel 200 years ago, when it was more of an unpredictable adventure. Of course equipment and technology has improved many folds, but stuff still happens.

I do regular service and preventative maintenance then travel with sensible precautions where we want and accept the fact that there maybe unexpected events and that we will deal them as an adventure. But isn't that life is really about?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, diesel