Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
used - NO
Rotation - NO
Balance - Front only

As mentioned by others, maybe look around more, and not necessary franchise locations.

HINT - Check your local RV sales place and ask them where they go to get inexpensive tires.

The previous owner put SAILUN S637 225/70R19.5 tires on my Mirada, 4 years ago. In the two years I've owned it, I put 20k miles on them and are still in very good shape. I think these tires go for about $135 each.

You should be able to get 6 of these mounted and installed for $1200 to $1500 out the door.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Beads, one bag in each of the six tires, one time for life of the tire. You may need to have them replaced if you break the bead to do a flat repair.

I have over 10,000 miles on my Hercules H902; mine are 22s tho, and they ride so smooth and show no signs of improper wear.

Don't know much about balancers. I believe you install one per axel end, so four on your rig, six if you had a tag. Installed against the hub, with the wheels installed over the balancers. They work like beads, dynamically balancing as you drive.

I'd balance all tires, not just the fronts.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #17

If you are a member of FMCA they offer a program that will allow you to buy tires at a pretty good discount (including for your toad). They also offer a no cost program with their membership where if you or a family member is sick they will return the coach to your home at no cost except for fuel and tolls. I believe they will cover airfare for the family to return home also. Check them out. Well worth the cost of a yearly membership. You do need to call them and get authorization.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
How important and how often do you find yourself needing to rotate/balance your tires?
Tyler
RunawayJim
My coach is currently running on the 3rd set of 6 tires...(original set 1996-2003... 2nd set 2003-2011... current set since 2014).

I have never had the tires "rotated" or "re-balanced" after they were installed.

Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #19

I have Toyos from a truck tire shop and they've been fine. Before anyone says "China bomb," mine were made in Georgia.

Do not use retreads or used tires. Have metal valve stems installed, get good metal extensions here: Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis
Do not use flexible screw-on extensions. Use a decent TPMS.

For balance I use Centramatics. You'll probably never need to rotate, certainly not like a car. If you get strange wear on the front tire you have an alignment problem.

And carefully check your roadside-assistance policy. Most are useless. Coach-Net is good.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
RunawayJim
My coach is currently running on the 3rd set of 6 tires...(original set 1996-2003... 2nd set 2003-2011... current set since 2014).
I have never had the tires "rotated" or "re-balanced" after they were installed.
Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
That should read: "current set since 2011").
Sorry.

BTW I've used Centramatic wheel balances since 2001.
Wheel Balancers for many trucks, buses, trailers, and motorcycles from Centramatic

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Quote:
Let me make sure I've got this correct. So no need to rotate, and only balanced when first put on?
Correct.

Quote:
If I don't need the free rotate and balance and have roadside assistance, what would be the benefit in buying from a chain? Does it make more sense to find the tires I want at the lowest price?
if you have to find a benefit in buying from a chain, it would be - in the unlikely event of your tire(s) blown out, you can go to the nearest store in the chain to get the tire(s) replaced under warranty. on the other hand, if you buy it from a non-chain store and this ever happens, you would go find a tire shop near you to replace the tire(s) and bring the blown-outs with you until you get back to the originating shop for refund under warranty.

since the shops carrying truck tires are unlike those carrying passenger car tires in everywhere like discount tire, most likely those truck tire chain businesses are regional (think les schwab). unless you are staying in one area most the time, buying from the chain may not be a significant factor to consider. if you are on the road a lot, more than likely you are traveling in outside of their territory anyway. i would say go with the shop having the lowest price out-of-door for the tire you want.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Correct.
if you have to find a benefit in buying from a chain, it would be - in the unlikely event of your tire(s) blown out, you can go to the nearest store in the chain to get the tire(s) replaced under warranty. on the other hand, if you buy it from a non-chain store and this ever happens, you would go find a tire shop near you to replace the tire(s) and bring the blown-outs with you until you get back to the originating shop for refund under warranty.
since the shops carrying truck tires are unlike those carrying passenger car tires in everywhere like discount tire, most likely those truck tire chain businesses are regional (think les schwab). unless you are staying in one area most the time, buying from the chain may not be a significant factor to consider. if you are on the road a lot, more than likely you are traveling in outside of their territory anyway. i would say go with the shop having the lowest price out-of-door for the tire you want.
Most tire manufactures have "authorized dealers" nationwide... (all of which are authorized to "take care of warranty work").... you do not have to return to the selling dealer if/when a tire fails.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
used - NO
Rotation - NO
Balance - Front only

As mentioned by others, maybe look around more, and not necessary franchise locations.

HINT - Check your local RV sales place and ask them where they go to get inexpensive tires.

The previous owner put SAILUN S637 225/70R19.5 tires on my Mirada, 4 years ago. In the two years I've owned it, I put 20k miles on them and are still in very good shape. I think these tires go for about $135 each.

You should be able to get 6 of these mounted and installed for $1200 to $1500 out the door.
We're taking our MH into the dealer this weekend to have a few things looked over. This RV dealer is also a Ford dealership and I believe the Ford side handles the tires. I plan on inquiring about a full tire purchase and also what they would charge to do just an install. Thanks for the tip on asking where they get inexpensive tires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy10 View Post
If you are a member of FMCA they offer a program that will allow you to buy tires at a pretty good discount (including for your toad). They also offer a no cost program with their membership where if you or a family member is sick they will return the coach to your home at no cost except for fuel and tolls. I believe they will cover airfare for the family to return home also. Check them out. Well worth the cost of a yearly membership. You do need to call them and get authorization.
I looked into this (FMCA)Michelin Advantage Program, and it seems that the discount offered is on Michelin tires that have an old date stamp. Please correct if that is not the case. I don't want to post misinformation but that was my impression.
Quote:
That should read: "current set since 2011").
Sorry.

BTW I've used Centramatic wheel balances since 2001.
Wheel Balancers for many trucks, buses, trailers, and motorcycles from Centramatic

Mel
'96 Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Correct.

When you say you've used Centramatic balancers since 2001, is that the same set that you purchased in 2001. If so, that seems to be a pretty good run. $200 initial investment for 15 years of service is extremely reasonable IMO.

After looking online at tires prices it would seem illogical to purchase locally vs buying online. Also simpletire offers a Military discount so that's a plus! I looked at Simpletire's network of installers (due to the discount on installation vs. non network installers) and in Western WA they don't have many and mostly use Pep Boys and one other local shop that seems to cater more towards fancy rims and low profile car tires (now that doesn't necessarily make them a "bad installer", but it would be nice to find someone that is at least somewhat familiar with larger tires/MH installs. I need to call that local shop and ask about past MH installs they have done.

Question - Has anyone ever used Pep Boys for tire installation/service?

Also we have our roadside assistance through Progressive (USAA referral) bundled with our full timer insurance. I'm sure this could/should be in another thread but anyone have experience (good/bad) regarding Progressive's Roadside assistance? Seems Coach-Net is the go to for most folks.
RunawayJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post

The Holly Grail is an installer what will actually buy your old tires so they can resell them rather than charging you a disposal fee. Even 19.5 tires have commercial applications.

Sweetbriar, would you mind posting where one can find this unicorn you speak of. Or a pm if you don't want to blast it on the interwebs.

Thanks

Tyler
Old 09-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We bought a set of MH tires from Les Schwaab in Oregon (no sales tax) and were very pleased with the facility outside of Eugene (Colburg, I believe). We had called a month previous while we were traveling and specified a fresh matching date set. They were ready for us when we arrived. Ours has a two-month date on them (Michilin). We then headed for the summer in Alaska and years of traveling afterward with no issues - no rotating.
It's Coburg if you're trying to find it on a map. There's also one in Junction City, almost across from the old Country Coach factory (now owned by Winnebago). I'll probably end up there since they work with the FMCA Michelin program and the SmarTire system we have.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Quote:
Most tire manufactures have "authorized dealers" nationwide... (all of which are authorized to "take care of warranty work").... you do not have to return to the selling dealer if/when a tire fails.
Mel
'96 Safari
agreed. when i had the set installed last year at bruce tires in gilroy, ca, i asked and they told me that. dang! i should have thought about the auth. dealers.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #27

Quote:
When you say you've used Centramatic balancers since 2001, is that the same set that you purchased in 2001. If so, that seems to be a pretty good run. $200 initial investment for 15 years of service is extremely reasonable IMO.
RunawayJim
It is.
Mel
Old 09-12-2016, 08:14 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
SimpleTire wants $40 dollars a tire to ship to Western WA. $250 bucks for shipping is really chewing into my budget. They advertise free shipping but that only applies to tires smaller than 19.5". Anyone know of a site that offers FREE shipping on 19.5" tires? I looked and came up empty.

Tags
class a, tires