Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
6 New Tires for Class A

Our 2000 holiday rambler vacationer 34CG is in need of 6 new tires. 245/70 x 19.5 I have a few questions and would really love to hear about others experiences. We will be out fulltiming and not in our home state.

We are thinking about purchasing our new tires from a large west coast tire chain that has a big yellow sign (not sure if its kosher to name the company?). The idea being that they have over 400 locations in most of the states that we will be traveling in. They offer free rotation, balancing, flat repair. I called today for a quote on rotation and balancing for 6 tires not purchased from them and was quoted $275.
How important and how often do you find yourself needing to rotate/balance your tires? 5000 miles?
We can find tires at a cheaper price but from local tire shops that don't have multiple locations all over the west coast. Will we be saving money in the long run by purchasing from a chain that will service them for free in multiple states, Or should we go with a local shop that provides a better initial price? Factoring out the free services since we won't be driving back to Western WA every time we need tire service. We also have roadside assistance though our insurer that would cover any flat repairs.

Also should we be looking at used tires? 3K is a lot of money for new rubber. Are used tires a viable option on something of this size? Where does one find or look for good used MH tires?

Since we are in Western WA I was thinking about purchasing the tires in Oregon for obvious reasons. 7 tires for the price of 6! Its like getting a free spare.

Thanks
Tyler

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #2

Not an expert on class A but a few things I know.
I have no use for used tires. What has the previous driver done to those tires?
I dislike recaps, I put in for new tires every time.
I anyways make the mechanics balance all my tires. I mark my wheels where the weights are in case one comes off.
Remember that commercial, you have a lot riding in your tires. Literally everything.

Losthikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #3

if you talk to any experienced class a owners, they can tell you clearly -
1) no rotation. when mounted, done in its life time (normally 8 or less years)
2) for balance, beads is fine; or spin balance if you prefer
3) no recap, no, no!
4) are you talking about les schwab? they are headquartered in oregon
5) if you dislike the prices for top tier tires like michelin, goodyear, bridgestone and so on, look at the 2nd tier ones such as bfgoodrich, hankook, toyo, yokohama, sumitomo, etc. some use 3rd tier like samson, double coin, cooper... didn't hear many complaints, either.

good luck
Old 09-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
3) no recap, no, no!
5) if you dislike the prices for top tier tires like michelin, goodyear, bridgestone and so on, look at the 2nd tier ones such as bfgoodrich, hankook, toyo, yokohama, sumitomo, etc. some use 3rd tier like samson, double coin, cooper... didn't hear many complaints, either.

good luck
Agreed on all of the above. I have Toyo. No problems.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toyo M 145's, and not from Les Schwab. The can be found much cheaper elsewhere. You will like them.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #6

I've had Toyo M154s on two coaches. Currently have 20,000 miles and nearly three years on a set. They look new, ride and handle well. If you buy them from Les Schwab in Oregon - no sales tax. I have Magnum beads in mine and will use them again - love them.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
3) no recap, no, no!

good luck
Thanks for the quick responses!
Yes Schwabs.
Let me make sure I've got this correct. So no need to rotate, and only balanced when first put on? I'm new to beads. I'll have to research that.

I was looking at the Toyo M143's as per their recommendation. $2550 out the door in Oregon for 6 tires. Anyone have thoughts on the Toyo M143's?

If I don't need the free rotate and balance and have roadside assistance, what would be the benefit in buying from a chain? Does it make more sense to find the tires I want at the lowest price?

I couldn't find much info on the M145, but a lot on the M154. Is that what you meant?

Thanks again for all the info!
RunawayJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Solid advice from Countryfit! I agree heartily!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Used -- No!
Rotation -- I defer, but I think not.
Balancing -- No! I use beads, and they rebalance as I go down the road.
I bought my Hercules tires from SimpleTire.com, and my local Les Schwab shop agreed to install them for like 50/tire, which included the beads, disposal and valve stems. Find the install shop before you order, and negotiate a price, as SimpleTire need to know where to ship them. And don't let them use your jacks to change the tires.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
If I don't need the free rotate and balance and have roadside assistance, what would be the benefit in buying from a chain? Does it make more sense to find the tires I want at the lowest price?
Not sure what benefit there could be. Tire warranties can be pretty narrow with many potential problems falling into the uncovered road hazards definition. You could even go as far as to order tires on line and have them shipped to an installer somewhere along you intended travel route.

The Holly Grail is an installer what will actually buy your old tires so they can resell them rather than charging you a disposal fee. Even 19.5 tires have commercial applications.

When you do have the tires replace don't forget to have new valve stems installed. My one flat and tire destruction was a pre-TPMS valve stem seal failure.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Thanks for the quick responses!
Yes Schwabs.
Let me make sure I've got this correct. So no need to rotate, and only balanced when first put on? I'm new to beads. I'll have to research that.

I was looking at the Toyo M143's as per their recommendation. $2550 out the door in Oregon for 6 tires. Anyone have thoughts on the Toyo M143's?

I couldn't find much info on the M145, but a lot on the M154. Is that what you meant?

Thanks again for all the info!

Sorry, meant to say 143's. Either typo or old age on my part, take your pick. . 2550.00 out the door seems like a fair price if it includes balancing.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #12

We bought a set of MH tires from Les Schwaab in Oregon (no sales tax) and were very pleased with the facility outside of Eugene (Colburg, I believe). We had called a month previous while we were traveling and specified a fresh matching date set. They were ready for us when we arrived. Ours has a two-month date on them (Michilin). We then headed for the summer in Alaska and years of traveling afterward with no issues - no rotating.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #13

I have a 1999 Vacationer 32cg. Very similiar to your rig. Two years ago May 2014 and 10,200 miles on them now, I installed 7 (spare) Hercules (H902) 245/70R/19.5 G rated tires on my rig. Mounted, balanced and out the door for 1725.00. Also had them install Centramatic wheel balancers on front and rear. No problems at all and took most all the vibration out of the front. No weathering checks yet and seem to perform very well. Would buy again.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
So the beads are a one time shot (life of the tire)? Do you still need to have the tires balanced initially when the new tires and beads are installed or do you forgo balancing altogether?

As far as the wheel balancers go. I see one company I checked had a 5 year warranty. Do they last longer and are you able to use them on more than one set of tires? They are sold in sets of 4. Does that mean the rear inside tires don't need them? Is this a product you purchase and then bring to the installer (same question regarding the beads also)?

Lots of great links and info!
Had never heard of the Hercules before. Looks like by purchasing online I can shave a considerable chunk of coin off the total bill. The Toyo's are about $100 cheaper per tire than the quote I got from Les. That adds up quick when you're talking 6-7 tires.

I have never put this much thought into car or truck tires before, but this is a totally different ball game. Many more phone calls and google searches to come.
1k Thank yous!

RunawayJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, tires