Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I've always found that 62-63 mph was a great speed to keep you from getting passed and not having to pass a bunch of vehicles. We just traveled coast to coast this summer and found that 62-63 mph put us right in line with most truck traffic, we found only about 10% of the trucks were going slower or faster than us. This made for a more comfortable drive as I wasn't being passed or having to pass other trucks.
That is totally different from my observations on the most recent trip from northern VA down I95. Running 65-68 I passed very few but there was a continuous string going by me. I would estimate that the traffic, both cars and heavy trucks were running 75-80.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #44

60mph vs 65mph & 8.2mpg vs 9.4mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
That is totally different from my observations on the most recent trip from northern VA down I95. Running 65-68 I passed very few but there was a continuous string going by me. I would estimate that the traffic, both cars and heavy trucks were running 75-80.

The alternatives are slower. But the rewards are there for the folks that prefer not-normal.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1480996708.382660.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	146090
We go where the "normals" ain't.
Travel is fun if you let it be fun.
Stop lights are just opportunities to look, and ya can't see nuthin if ya ain't lookin!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesnJulie View Post
On my trip to Disneyland today, I tested the MH at 60 & 65 mph for about 2 hours each. While doing 60 mph I was averaging 9.4 mpg and at 65 averaged 8.2 mpg.

Do you think it is worth it to drive slower for the cost savings?

I do generally like driving about 60mph and do all of my planning at 60 mph with 30 minute rest and fuel stops, but I'm more interested it what you think about going 5mph slower for a little over 1mpg savings.

Thanks

James (of the JamesnJulie duo)
Now at Disneyland with my mom and granddaughter, and Julie too :}
Would you stop to buy Fuel if it was $0.35 Cheaper?

Or would you buy fuel if it was $0.35 more?

Or .... are you in the habit of Tipping the guy at the Fuel Pump 14 Per Cent(%)?

Just different ways to look at the same problem.

JMHO,

I've learned to slow down.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #46

Another way to look at it, we have a 100 gallon tank, usually don't go below 3/8 or at most 1/4 tank before filling up. so lets use say 70 gallons as a fill-up. If I can save 1 mpg by going slower, that will give me a greater RANGE on that 70 gallons of . . . 70 MILES, right?

Now when traveling out in the West, say from Kingmas AZ (where we filled for $2.04/gallon) up to Burns Oregon, a distance of almost 800 miles, through a lot of well, the word nothing comes to mind, that extra 70 miles MAY be the difference between stopping for fuel for $4.20 a gallon in the middle of no where, or making it an extra 70 miles to a more built up area and only paying $2.89 per gallon, (that's what it was this August when we did it).

That extra 1mpg saved US $91.70 on that one fill up ALONE! Oh yeah, and that doesn't take into account the sign at one station that said: We can't sell you gas, but we will TOW you to the next gas station!" . . . . I don't think they were thinking coaches, but THAT would have REALLY added to the price of the trip!

Just another way of looking at the issue.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:35 AM   #47

There are some states, California for example, where the posted Maximum is 55 MPH while towing. I don't know what threshold the Cops use but I have seen Motorhomes pulled over on the I5. I usually peg it at 62 and have not been stopped. Just one speeding stop and a ticket tosses all the MPG numbers and driving hours out the window. And I certainly don't consider being pulled over on the shoulder of an Interstate safe.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:58 AM   #48
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Larry....you're right, I'll correct my statement. In the slow lane, most of the trucks/vehicles were moving along at 62-63mph, but there were a bunch of trucks going by at 70-75 mph. They did not have an impact on the speed in my lane, because they never came back over after passing, they stayed out there with the cars.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #49

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As I see it the speed limiting factors are; observe the posted speed limits, the limits of the tires/loads, the speed comfort zone of the driver, reductions due to weather and road conditions. Then the issues of gas mileage and trying to move with the traffic come into play. Sometimes if traveling with other rigs the group speed is lowest of the above for the group.

In our 14k lb 5th wheeler and RAM 3500 diesel, I find 63 mph +/- 2 is about right for a reasonable experience and fuel cost. I don't mind at all being past by other rigs. Its a laugh when they pass me multiple times in the same day. Or I pass them while they're changing a tire.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #50

"Alert, Alert, the BS meter is approaching critical mass."

Not clear on is this BS on stated MPG? Or differences in MPG from different speeds? Or on rationale for not following the posted max speed limits? Or rationale for feeling 'speed bump' risk if going lower then posted Max speeds?

One thing I hope we can all agree on, is that none of us are experts on all rigs, chassis, trucks pulling trailers, weights of all trailers, etc., etc... Just way too many variables to call 'BS' on a posters comments about MPG. Gear ratios. Weight while traveling. Wind conditions. Percents of grades climbed, or coasting. These and more, impact MPG. And of course, some of us may just use the computer. Others may do manual calculations. Others may factor generator Aqua/Hydro Hot usage.

OP - Thanks for sharing your observations. And as always, great variety of opinions and experiences on this forum - so this thread may help some down the road...

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
"Alert, Alert, the BS meter is approaching critical mass."

Not clear on is this BS on stated MPG? Or differences in MPG from different speeds? Or on rationale for not following the posted max speed limits? Or rationale for feeling 'speed bump' risk if going lower then posted Max speeds?

One thing I hope we can all agree on, is that none of us are experts on all rigs, chassis, trucks pulling trailers, weights of all trailers, etc., etc... Just way too many variables to call 'BS' on a posters comments about MPG. Gear ratios. Weight while traveling. Wind conditions. Percents of grades climbed, or coasting. These and more, impact MPG. And of course, some of us may just use the computer. Others may do manual calculations. Others may factor generator Aqua/Hydro Hot usage.

OP - Thanks for sharing your observations. And as always, great variety of opinions and experiences on this forum - so this thread may help some down the road...

Best to all,
Smitty
your not going to get 1.3 MPG better based on a 5MPH reduced speed
In fact I have checked mileage on my instant read out and sometimes it reads better at 65 than it does at 60
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #52

Quote:
On my trip to Disneyland today, I tested the MH at 60 & 65 mph for about 2 hours each. While doing 60 mph I was averaging 9.4 mpg and at 65 averaged 8.2 mpg.
If those readings are from the computer; I would strongly doubt you are getting an 1.2 mpg or 15% increase in mpg.

To get a close to accurate reading you need to do about 3 tank fulls at 60 and 65 mph each.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow!

I find it interesting that the question I pose is answered by some and attacked by others.

I did not ask about the validity of my testing methods or the validity of the answers of others. I asked would you go 60 mph if you could get a little over 1 mpg better than if going 65 mph.

I think the answer is yes for saving a little money, increased safety, seeing more and relaxing more.

I don't think I will be a road block of faster cars as I am big enough to see well in advance so they can pass me, that is what they are supposed to do. I don't think I will get rich by going slower, if I wanted to save on gas would I have bought a MH?

Thank you to everyone for the discussion.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #54

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I read quite a lot of the replies, and I think it depends on where you're traveling. I have a gas rig, and up here in New England and upstate New York, I can comfortably drive 55 to 65 without any problems, no worries about holding anyone up or anything. I've found that driving somewhere between 55 and 60 puts much less stress on our engine, so I gauge my speed on my comfort and my RV's "comfort", and I've never felt like I was blocking anyone... if I'm on a two lane highway and see too many cars behind me, I'll pull over in a lot or something and let them by. I, too, try to avoid roads where I'll feel like I have to drive 75, but there aren't many around here... maybe the Northway (I87) in New York, but even that's not bad at all usually. I'd appreciate the savings!
RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #55

Quote:

Do you think it is worth it to drive slower for the cost savings?

I do generally like driving about 60mph and do all of my planning at 60 mph with 30 minute rest and fuel stops, but I'm more interested it what you think about going 5mph slower for a little over 1mpg savings.

Thanks

James (of the JamesnJulie duo)
Now at Disneyland with my mom and granddaughter, and Julie too :}
Quote:
I find it interesting that the question I pose is answered by some and attacked by others.

I did not ask about the validity of my testing methods or the validity of the answers of others. I asked would you go 60 mph if you could get a little over 1 mpg better than if going 65 mph.

I think the answer is yes for saving a little money, increased safety, seeing more and relaxing more.

I don't think I will be a road block of faster cars as I am big enough to see well in advance so they can pass me, that is what they are supposed to do. I don't think I will get rich by going slower, if I wanted to save on gas would I have bought a MH?

Thank you to everyone for the discussion.
I don't think anyone attacked you or your question.

The people here are very helpful. They saw where your observations from your trip may not have been valid and offered suggestions how your might improve.

There are many nice people here. If you view the answers in that light I think you will come to a different conclusion about an 'attack'.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #56

Over 2500 miles, assuming 2.50 per gallon, you are looking at $98 savings

I agree 60 is probably safer as it pertains to things like reaction time, braking distance, etc. however I also agree 60mph on most interstates is a roadblock. I like the go with the flow approach.
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote