Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
60mph vs 65mph & 8.2mpg vs 9.4mpg

On my trip to Disneyland today, I tested the MH at 60 & 65 mph for about 2 hours each. While doing 60 mph I was averaging 9.4 mpg and at 65 averaged 8.2 mpg.

Do you think it is worth it to drive slower for the cost savings?

I do generally like driving about 60mph and do all of my planning at 60 mph with 30 minute rest and fuel stops, but I'm more interested it what you think about going 5mph slower for a little over 1mpg savings.

Thanks

James (of the JamesnJulie duo)
Now at Disneyland with my mom and granddaughter, and Julie too :}
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesnJulie View Post

Yes, it is worth it to me. I like the cost savings, and it is a more relaxing pace to travel. Fortunately, everything I need to do can be achieved at 60 mph or less.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:46 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesnJulie View Post
On my trip to Disneyland today, I tested the MH at 60 & 65 mph for about 2 hours each. While doing 60 mph I was averaging 9.4 mpg and at 65 averaged 8.2 mpg.

I do generally like driving about 60mph and do all of my planning at 60 mph with 30 minute rest and fuel stops, but I'm more interested it what you think about going 5mph slower for a little over 1mpg savings.

Thanks

James (of the JamesnJulie duo)
Now at Disneyland with my mom and granddaughter, and Julie too :}
I did a term paper on this many moons ago working on a business degree. The conclusion I came to...it wasn't just the nominal cost savings, but it also was the safety statistics.

Those may all be somewhat different nowadays, what hasn't changed are smaller bits of information to consider: drivers reaction times? What about drivers distraction times? Are you moving with traffic or are you a moving speed bump?

My recommendation to you would be to mimick the big interstate national carriers. Every thing predictable and methodical. Whether they're moving at 60 or 65, go with the flow. Jumping in and out of a passing lane just increases a chance for a mistake by someone.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:52 AM   #4

I also find my "sweetspot" for fuel and engine efficiency is 60. So I normally set the cruise control and keep her pointed down the road.
BTW, yesterday traveling up I 75 out of Tampa in my toad, I was passed by 2 DP without toads. I had my cruise control set at 75 and they were steadily pulling away from me. I hope they made it to their destination safely.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:35 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes we think it is worth the extra savings to cruise at 60. Besides we like to avoid the interstates when we can as well.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:28 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Yes we think it is worth the extra savings to cruise at 60. Besides we like to avoid the interstates when we can as well.

momdoc
so do I, folks talk about the quickest routes around here are a bit taken back when I tell them I'll take a different route each time. I get bored with the same scenery every trip. I guess I was born under a wandering star!
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:18 AM   #7
YC1

I have to get close to 62 for my transmission to shift to 6th gear if not using the econ mode on the shifter. It really is a sweet spot and I have achieved 9mpg many times with a toad. Of course as suggested, if traffic is blowing by I run faster.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:34 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Frankly, at 60mph on most interstates, you are a 'rolling roadblock'.

Speed is just one factor in safety. And lack of speed in some situations can be just as reckless as excessive speed.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
No, 1.2 mpg isn't worth it to me. I only get about 7.5 mpg and that extra 1.2 mpg would save me about $32 per 100 gallons of gas. That's less than $100 driving from LA to New York. If that made a difference, I wouldn't be driving a motor home.

At 60 mpg, my coach down shifts constantly to maintain speed up even small hills and traffic is passing me at over ten mph faster than I'm driving. At 65 the transmission rarely shifts to go up hill and the traffic passing me isn't zooming by as I'm driving closer to the speed of traffic. That is much more relaxing to me than saving $32 a tank.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:41 AM   #10

Some people may disagree but I contend that sometimes driving significantly slower can be less safe since everyone else is frantically maneuvering to get around. We occasionally drive around or through the Indianapolis and Cincinnati Interstate routes, and I drive faster there than my 62-65 speed on the open interstate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
... Are you moving with traffic or are you a moving speed bump?...My recommendation to you would be to mimick the big interstate national carriers. Every thing predictable and methodical. Whether they're moving at 60 or 65, go with the flow. Jumping in and out of a passing lane just increases a chance for a mistake by someone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1
...Of course as suggested, if traffic is blowing by I run faster.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Some people may disagree but I contend that sometimes driving significantly slower can be less safe since everyone else is frantically maneuvering to get around. We occasionally drive around or through the Indianapolis and Cincinnati Interstate routes, and I drive faster there than my 62-65 speed on the open interstate.
I agree. We came across the country on the interstate. I wanted to drive about 62, but in the end bumped it up to 65 because I was being treated like an orange construction cone. At 65 I was still being passed by almost everyone. Next trip across, I am going to push the DW for more back roads.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Frankly, at 60mph on most interstates, you are a 'rolling roadblock'.

Speed is just one factor in safety. And lack of speed in some situations can be just as reckless as excessive speed.
I agree. Several years ago we traveled at 60 mpg. The big difference was that then the speed limits were generally 65 mph. Even then we were being passed continually. In many cases our speed irritated drivers so that when reentering the lane they would cut in extremely short.

Since the speed limits on most interstates are now 70 mph or higher we have also increased our speed. We now average 65 mph and find it easier to drive closer to the speed the rest of the traffic is moving.

In addition I believe your 1.2 mile per gallon difference is an anomaly. On our last trip we traveled over 3,000 miles at an average speed of 65 mph. Over the distance we found less than a .4 mpg difference than when traveling the same route at 60 mph. I'm sure there were differences in wind and weather conditions between the trips, but we traveled the exact same route and didn't have nearly as large a difference in mileage.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
No, 1.2 mpg isn't worth it to me. I only get about 7.5 mpg and that extra 1.2 mpg would save me about $32 per 100 gallons of gas. That's less than $100 driving from LA to New York. If that made a difference, I wouldn't be driving a motor home.

At 60 mpg, my coach down shifts constantly to maintain speed up even small hills and traffic is passing me at over ten mph faster than I'm driving. At 65 the transmission rarely shifts to go up hill and the traffic passing me isn't zooming by as I'm driving closer to the speed of traffic. That is much more relaxing to me than saving $32 a tank.
WOW, I'd LOVE to get 60 mpg with my coach!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I just try to maintain with the flow of traffic be it 60 or 70 so as not to be that guy holding everyone up and causing road ragers to cut me off after passing.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote