Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #1

6v battery to a 12v

I have a 03 National Sea Breeze that I need new batteries for. The batteries that were in there are two 6v batteries that were cross connected to make it 12v compliant. The problem that I am having is finding replacement 6v deep cycle batteries. Would there be a problem if I went with one 12v or two 12v batteries (but wire them for 12v and not make them 24v) instead of the 6v? By doing this I will keep the same voltage but come close to doubling the amperage.
dmmoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Two 12 volt batteries are fine as far as I can tell. HOWEVER, Do NOT connect them in "series" as with your 6 volt batteries. Check page 2, figure 3 in the link provided and hook them up "parallel". It keeps the voltage at 12V, but the amperage doubles. Not a bad thing

http://www.nyc-arecs.org/Connecting_...d_Parallel.pdf

Make sure the batteries you install are the same group and configuration.

Here's another link answering your question it also has a diagram.

Two Batteries Hooked Up In Series - Outback RV Owners Forum

gaugeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #3

It shouldn't be that difficult to find replacement 6v batteries unless you've got some unusual ones. All the usual suspects (Costco, Walmart, etc) usually carry them.

Keep in mind that the energy available from your batteries depends upon weight, not the voltage or amps. For typical RV batteries, figure on about 12 watt hours of usable energy available for each pound of battery.

Amps are good for figuring out wire sizes and fuses but not for battery energy capacity calculations.

Power in watts is amps times volts. Energy is power for a time so it is watt hours which you can calculate as amp hours times voltage.

If you keep to watts and watt hours for things, the battery voltage confusion goes away (and it does cause a lot of confusion on RV discussion forums!).
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #4

Thank you for responding so quickly! I will be sure to follow the diagram.
dmmoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You may get by with two 12V or maybe even one. It's going to depend on what type of camping you're going to do. If you are NEVER going to dry camp, spend a night in a rest area, ect (no 120V hookup) you would probably be ok. Unless your generator quit

I see you are new to this forum..... If you are also new to RVing and not sure yet how you will use your RV, I would either hold off or get yourself 2 6V golf cart batteries. I use two 6V Trojan T-105s Trojan Battery Company ....as do many others.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Sams Club has 6v batteries.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For six volt pairs... Go to either Sam's Club,,, Or call your local golf course and ask them where to go.. Personally.. I'd go to Sam's (And will when the time comes)

I often say "There are no six volt batteries in RV's" you more or less explained why I say that when you said "Cross connected (Actually Series connected) to make them 12 volt compliant.

What you have is a 12 volt battery (Size 8d) Broken into two halves for ease in handling. Each half is, of course, a six volt battery WHEN REMOVED.

Think of them like that and you will understand why you will have no problem replacing the pair with either one 12 volt battery or two 12's in parallel (Cross connected)

Except: Those six volt jobs are DEEP CYCLE

Finding 12 volt DEEP CYCLE (not Marine/Deep Cycle) is possible, but though they are becoming more popular, (Some Golf Cars now use 'em) Still not all that common, or cheap.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome dmmoab to the forum. Interstate Batteries are one of the more popular brands used in coaches. Check them out at Batteries - Interstate Batteries has every battery for every need .
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #9

any interstate dealer!mostly repair garages can order u them for next day
98DAMON330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #10

I also welcome you to the irv2.com discussion forums! Yes that is satisfactory. 12V batteries are available in many different sizes and amp.hrs. Do not buy a starting battery, a deep cycle is made for house batteries. I think the Walmart MAXX marine battery is rated at 225 AH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I also welcome you to the irv2.com discussion forums! Yes that is satisfactory. 12V batteries are available in many different sizes and amp.hrs. Do not buy a starting battery, a deep cycle is made for house batteries. I think the Walmart MAXX marine battery is rated at 225 AH.
But a marine battery is not a deep cycle battery, it's a compromise that isn't the best for either use.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #12
CD

If the specs have cranking amps listed, it isn't a true deep cycle battery. You don't want or need cranking amps in a coach except for an engine.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
But a marine battery is not a deep cycle battery, it's a compromise that isn't the best for either use.
I agree, kinda like an SUV. None have the ride and comfort of a sedan, nor do they have the capabilities of an off-road 4X4. I offered a bad example to the OP, for which I apoligize. A better offering is the 12VDC, 190AH, deep cycle battery from from Interstate. Two of them result in 380AH.
There are way too many battery tutorials on the internet, and many threads here explaining the differences for us to begin yet another debate/discussion here.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #14

re: "it isn't a true deep cycle battery"

if you ever find an objective, empirical, and useful measure that will help me tell the difference between one of these batteries, a 'Marine/RV battery' and an SLI battery, please let me know.

If you look at the line card with specifications for the batteries a manufacturer offers of the sort we use in RV's and are commonly available, you won't find a dividing line. Instead, you'll see the cost, capacity, and ruggedness trade-offs filled out with variances in measures that barely get larger than those you can find in battery use due to temperature, age, cycle to cycle variations, and use profile.

Where the 'battery type' terms do seem to fit is that they identify the intended market for the battery and that is reflected in the warranty offer.

Other than that, getting hung up on something that doesn't have a useful and pertinent measure for your needs is probably a waste of time.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery