Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #15

Twinboat, I have checked the shutoff and they are ok...someone did mention to me that if the return line back to the tank was stopped up it could be flooding itself out. Does that sound right?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #16

No, I don't think so, you would see a lot of black smoke.

Stick a clear hose in the return fuel line, watch for bubbles.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
No, I don't think so, you would see a lot of black smoke.

Stick a clear hose in the return fuel line, watch for bubbles.
Or you could put the end of the hose in a bucket with a gallon of fuel. Submerge the end and watch for air bubbles.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Or you could put the end of the hose in a bucket with a gallon of fuel. Submerge the end and watch for air bubbles.

Are you referring to the return line at the engine or back at the tank?
Old 11-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #19

At the tank, then you don't need Another line. Any bubbles means your sucking air, before or at the pump.

If you get bubbles, try a short hose right from the pump to a can of clean fuel. If it still bubbles, the pump seal could be bad.

Steady clear stream of fuel means you have an air problem.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:50 PM   #20

Quote:
At the tank, then you don't need Another line. Any bubbles means your sucking air, before or at the pump.

If you get bubbles, try a short hose right from the pump to a can of clean fuel. If it still bubbles, the pump seal could be bad.

Steady clear stream of fuel means you have an air problem.
Thanks twinboat...I thought a steady stream of fuel was a good thing...lol...I will try that soon!
Old 11-30-2015, 06:18 AM   #21

Seems to me if it was running good before you changed your filters something is wrong there.

So on the fuel. Start over and pull the filters again. Make sure you clean filter base good and reinstall. Maybe getting some air there.

On the air. Not see how it is there unless something had plugged the intake. But even that should not cause it to be hard to start first time.

By it being hard to start leads me to ail leak at the filters. Also would not allow it to run high RPM. I would think tho you should see some fuel leakage around the filter when you shut it down.

Russell
Old 11-30-2015, 06:49 AM   #22

OP never said it was running good.

Detroit Diesels plug the air intake as an emergency stop.

Fuel filters sucking air will be near empty. Nothing to leak out.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:57 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
It sounds like you are sucking air, I had a filter housing crack one time and was sucking air ans doing just what you are talking about, found it by taking the fuel line off at the tank and using a hand pump that transfers fuel to pressurize the fuel line and and found the fuel pouring out the housing, without pressurizing, would never have found it. A plugged return line will fill the crankcase with fuel.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Seems to me if it was running good before you changed your filters something is wrong there.

So on the fuel. Start over and pull the filters again. Make sure you clean filter base good and reinstall. Maybe getting some air there.

On the air. Not see how it is there unless something had plugged the intake. But even that should not cause it to be hard to start first time.

By it being hard to start leads me to ail leak at the filters. Also would not allow it to run high RPM. I would think tho you should see some fuel leakage around the filter when you shut it down.

Russell
The people who gave it to me had just taken it all over Texas because his wife was a travel nurse and said it started losing power just as they were getting in town. It is not hard to start at all, it busts off everytime, just won't stay running.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:46 AM   #25

Just to add, I have cranked it then went back and crawled on to of the engine to watch the shutoff on top of the blower and when it die the shutoff never moved.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #26

That sounds more like a collapsed fuel line or blockage. Didn't realize it quit running right before filter change

Russell
Old 11-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a WAG, could you have a severly restricted exhaust system for some reason. I ran into this once eons ago on a 471 engine on a piece of construction equipment.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #28

I agree with Russell check for a blocked pick-up tube in the tank (junk in tank) and recheck the fuel filters to make you didn't leave the old O-Ring on with the new one (double o-rings will cause an air leak in fuel system)