Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the same engine and pull a Saturn Ion and get the same mpg. Sometimes better sometimes worse depending on conditions. Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #16

Our 2011 Allegro RED 36ft. Cummins 340hp, towing a Chevy Equinox and always using the Mode switch in "economy". Driving at 62 mph allows this mode to switch into 6th gear. We have averaged 10.4 for the 7,500 mi. so far. Needless to say I am impressed and pleased.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
6'th gear?

I have never had a problem getting my Allison to go into 6'th gear at 55. Different programming I guess. I tend to tow somewhere under 60 'cause 55 is the speed limit for towing in California.

The mileage guesser on the FL display is not all that accurate. You got to keep records and calculate it by hand. Mine has varied from 5.4 up to almost 9.

On the other hand, do we really want to know?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #18

Muddypaws:
Valid point about accuracy of the on board computer. I also recorded my fuel purchases and it calculated very close to the on board computer.

Wow.... some of you achieving double digit milage Gotta love that! Thanks for sharing your comments.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 05-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #19

Jim, FYI, a CAT service center can re-set the trip fuel milage reading when they re-flash the computer. I had that done when I bought my unit so the total fuel milage is for the miles driven by me rather than the previous owner.

My C7 has gotten as high as 9.2 mpg @65mph on a 1,000 trip in the west not towing but it is usually 7.8 to 8.5 when towing. My coach has a GVWR of 28,000 and can leagally tow 10,000, but my toad is about 5,000.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, not bad mileage at all.

I'm a bit heavier with I believe a little bigger motor and tow a Ford Explorer but at 62 mph I'm doing well to get to 7.5 mpg. Any little head wind or elevation increase and I'll drop down to the low 7's.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Our 2011 Allegro RED 36ft. Cummins 340hp, towing a Chevy Equinox and always using the Mode switch in "economy". Driving at 62 mph allows this mode to switch into 6th gear. We have averaged 10.4 for the 7,500 mi. so far. Needless to say I am impressed and pleased.
Ditto; We just got back from a 2,000 miles trip around the southwest, from Phoenix to Bryce to San Diego up the southern California coast. My coach is older then djbmsu's. I used Economy Mode 99% of the time and kept it at 55. One time we got 10.5 and never went under 9.3. We tracked the mileage using our laptop... We were pulling a 2011 4x4 Colorado Crew Cab...
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I have never had a problem getting my Allison to go into 6'th gear at 55. Different programming I guess. I tend to tow somewhere under 60 'cause 55 is the speed limit for towing in California.

The mileage guesser on the FL display is not all that accurate. You got to keep records and calculate it by hand. Mine has varied from 5.4 up to almost 9.

On the other hand, do we really want to know?

Yes, I do. On my VMSpc it displays mileage but is also has a tank minder that gives current gallons in the tank. All most always when I fill it is within 3 gallons for a 60 gallon fillup. That is about 5 percent so the mileage is calculated with the same values so I estimate than my mileage indication is +/- 5 percent.

But remember I only have a 35 ft rig with a smaller engine. A little lighter than most.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problem with the "Keep records' method of doing MPG is the generator shares the main engine tank.

The MPG "Guessor" can be operated two ways.. IF I were programming it it would read the amount of fuel metered into the cylinders by the injectors (Since it can do that) and the actual millage (or as close to it as the Odometer can measure) and divide.

Now the "Millage till empty" (Fuel range) has to use the tank float, (Because of ye-old-generator) but the MPG display.. Well I told you how I'd do it, How the manufacturer did it I do not know.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #24

We averaged right at 6.6 MPG with the motor home this year on our trip to Alaska. I usually start the toad and run it for a bit every other day, to keep the battery charged up. It used 1/2 gallon on the 3000 mile trip so it got 6000 MPG. If I average the two I get an impressive 3003.3 miles per gallon. Not bad I think.

Larry
Old 05-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #25

Joopy
About six months ago I entered all the mileages and fill ups into an excel spread sheet. This was about 30,000 miles - mountains, flat lands, using AC, towing, and running generator. The average was 7.8 mpg. The RV is very similar to yours if not the same and I tend to drive 58 - 62 MPH.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #26

Thanks for that info, Bob. Sounds like we travel about the same speed, same coach, same toad.... I'm going to figure about 7.8 mpg for planning purposes.

Larry... that's too funny

cheers,
Joopy

PS - first day back to work today and already missing the open road
Old 05-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
We average 6.8-7.2. Lately is has been averaging 6.8 as we have added weight to our Coach that we have not had in the past-heavier toad-additional ground cover mats etc. We know we can run 67-68 mph and get the same mileage as 58-62 mph, but we enjoy seeing the country at the lower speed.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Recently drove from Tyler, TX to Nashville, TN....
40' FR Berkshire with Mercedes engine towing a Mini Cooper...

MPG ranged from 9.9 - 12.4... Average speed between 58 - 62 MPH.... Needless to say I was very pleased...

Tags
towing