Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #1

7 pin plugin

I have 95 HR imperial on a spartan chassis I just purchased a enclosed trailer with electric brakes I thought I could plug in and they would work I have nothing also no power to aux for inside light. I've had the coach about a year I dont know where to start
BRUCE6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 11:39 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You probably need a controller for the brakes and check the wiring for the power as most are not wired for it or the fuse is blown. You might not even have wiring to the plug for either one!

None of our DP's has been set up other than wiring run to add a brake controller. There were never any wires for the power into the towed vehicle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:42 PM   #3

Someone said something about air over electric didn't need a controller I don't have a clue thanks tho
Old 06-02-2015, 12:06 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You need some way to activate the electric brakes no matter what braking system you have on the RV. So, that takes a controller and wiring to the plug in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:29 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You need a brake controller. Also look up your wiring for the 7 pin plug. Some of them require a extra fuse to be used, including the 12V power for the trailer. As an example, our Silvarado Duramax required a 40 amp fuse to use all the features of the 7 pin plug.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #6

I would start with the connector on the coach. Testing each of the terminals for power when applied. If you don't have a brake controller, you will need to install one. It's also possible you don't have full time power for the trailer interior lights wired into the plug. Once you have that plug wired properly, then you can start testing the plug on the trailer.
Be prepared to find the wiring to have been modified by a prior owner as ours was, so start from the beginning ..........

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #7

Ok gonna start this weekend thanks for the help order a controller today. I thought it needed one listening to other people.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Get a good inertial controller, e.g. a Tekonsha Prodigy or P3. The cost difference is negligible and the product much superior.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote