Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2007, 07:01 AM   #1

We just stayed the weekend at a Travel Resorts of America campground and got the sales speech. We are not joining for several reasons but wanted to mention something they said.

They said that 70% of criminals are captured in campgrounds. And you should only stay in there CGs where you have to be a member to avoid staying with criminals.

dh's protective instinct kicked in and he immediated wanted to join so we were always safe. We told them we would discuss it and I then was able to reason with him and he saw how ridiculous that statement was. I was angry at them using scare tactics to get someone to join.

Any comments on this statement the salesman made? 7 out of 10 criminals are apprehended in campgrounds.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:01 AM   #2

We just stayed the weekend at a Travel Resorts of America campground and got the sales speech. We are not joining for several reasons but wanted to mention something they said.

They said that 70% of criminals are captured in campgrounds. And you should only stay in there CGs where you have to be a member to avoid staying with criminals.

dh's protective instinct kicked in and he immediated wanted to join so we were always safe. We told them we would discuss it and I then was able to reason with him and he saw how ridiculous that statement was. I was angry at them using scare tactics to get someone to join.

Any comments on this statement the salesman made? 7 out of 10 criminals are apprehended in campgrounds.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:09 AM   #3

Boy , who falls for that kind of sales pitch. No way. You were right to be skeptical.Maybe Trailer parks were included in that , then maybe I could look at him without busting out laughing. If they are doing these kind of things to sell , what is life going to be like at this campground,you kinda need a little honesty up front dont cha think?

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #4

We've been staying in campgrounds all over the country for 20 years and have always felt very safe. In fact safer than I've felt in some hotels. In those years, once the unit next to us had 2 bicycles stolen. Ours were out too, but not high tech enough I guess. That's the single bad experience we've encountered. As for criminals being caught in campgrounds - I read once of a criminal being caught hiding out in a campgound in CO. Never been any CG where heard of it happening. Sounds like a pathetic scare tactic sales pitch to me.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Old farmer saying, "if you walk behind a manure spreader, ---- I'll skip the rest.

Glad you two, as a team, escaped the bovine excrement. Good to hear you have a good, protective husband.

There's nothing free about a free overnight at a campground.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Did you ask him if a salesman that told lies was considered a criminal?
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #7

I have been camping my whole life as well and never had any probs. Nicest people at CGs. Only time I ever heard of a prob was in HI. Right after hurricane Iniki, Kauai had a housing shortage and people were basically living in tents on the beaches and anywhere they could. A little girl was killed. But that doesn't count because it wasn't your typical situation.

As far as trailer parks go. You said the same thing dh and I said. If you count trailer parks as campgrounds, MAYBE you could get it at 70%.

dh is very protective and paranoid when it comes to the kids and me. He worries that someone will unsnap the hybrid tent end and snatch the kids. I think we would hear it. With 7 of us in the camper, someone is bound to hear it and shout out.

Anyway, I just thought you guys would get a kick out of that statement.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:18 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
86.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot and I can prove that statement because I just did it. Or was it 76.5%?

Take a hike from that CG and don't buy into their sales pitch.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #9

Maybe the salesman believes all those stories we used to tell around the campfire - of the nine foot tall charred body or that one armed guy that lost his hook in the door of the teenager's car.

Reminds me of that cliche about how to tell when a salesman is lying - the lips are moving.
aa6vh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:29 AM   #10

I was a LEO for thirty years and made hundreds of arrests. I NEVER made one in a campground or trailer park. And yes, there were CG and TP around.

Space Coast, FL
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #11

What a crock! I probably would not buy in there and definately not off that bottom feeder.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
MAMA, could you share with us the CG that was pushing that BUNK, maybe we could have some fun with them.

JJ, I could believe it if those CG's were in Levittown or Bristol. How about a Trailer Park in North Philly..............

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:13 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, IF that many criminals are hanging around CG's, they are sure behaving themselves! Other than the occasional lack of picking up their doggy's doo, folks are typically okay!

Maybe, instead of really nasty prisons, we should have prisoners spend their time at CG's . . . seems to have a calming affect on folks!

SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #14

70% is a much higher ratio than the rest of the countrys aprehension ratio. Oh- wait, you said a salesman said this? Maybe he was included in that percentage. Yet another reason to run from campground memberships. I'd report him to the state attorny general office for deceptive sales practices.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote