Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #15

Maybe if the roads are big, smooth and open that will work. Out here where I live we would have unlimited accidents because there are too many people who do not know how to drive a car, period.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2015, 05:46 PM   #16

I already get passed by many trucks, DP's, and of course cars where the speed limit is 70. All this means is that I'll now get passed faster.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
They're talking about raising it to 80 MPH here in Michigan in certain areas. In my car, I usually Cruze at 75MPH and almost get run over by people flying by. Min the motorhome, I'll Cruze at 65MPH and let the little ole ladies pass me by.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #18

According to our car manufacturer (we have a 2013 Honda Fit) the vehicle is not to be 4 wheeled towed over 65 MPH. So I try and keep the coach cruising under that speed. No way would I go 80 or 85 with the coach. Of course if I was trying to out run a tornado I might keep er under 100. LOL
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't even know if my tow'd or motorhome will go that fast.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #20

The Nevada State Legislature is debating a bill in this session that would raise the speed limit to 80 mph on rural highways. Representatives of the trucking industry testified against it, saying that the tires used on the big rigs are only certified for up to 75 mph. The legislature doesn't seem to care, as the bill is expected to pass.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:17 PM   #21

This is not entirely wrong. There are studies indicating that setting the speed limit closer to what the traffic does actually reduces the range of speed between the slowest and faster drivers. This reduces the occurrences of people doing dumb things trying to get around that "crazy slow driver". The goal is to promote orderly traffic flow where more people are traveling closer to the same speed.

If drivers would pay attention to driving instead of their communication gadjets, today's cars and roads are capable of the higher speeds. How easy it was to type that, and how unlikely it is...

Having said that, I drive my motorhome and car trailer at 60-65 MPH, stay in the RH lane, and watch my mirrors and other traffic. When in a car, I drive at or slightly above the speed limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
...Was in SLC when they were discussing the higher speed limits on a talk show. Some bureaucrat was proudly proclaiming that the number of speeding tickets had gone down since the speed limit was raised.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #22

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
The speed limits are not the problem. Having lower speed limits does not necessarily mean safer drivers. Some of the highest speeds you can drive are on the rural autobahns of Germany, where there is no posted limit. The DRIVERS in Germany, however, are very well trained, and it usually takes two years and thousands of Euros of instruction tuition to get a drivers license. While your RV may not have tires rated at 80 mph, RVs are not the only vehicles on the road. Interstate highways in rural areas are designed for such speeds, and most automobiles can safely operate at these speeds, as long as the driver isn't texting, taking on the phone, shaving, eating lunch, or doing anything other than driving. Distracted driving is where enforcement should be applied, not mandating slower speeds for the nebulous reasons of "saving energy" or "saving lives". Lower speed limits do neither.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
The speed limits are not the problem. Having lower speed limits does not necessarily mean safer drivers. Some of the highest speeds you can drive are on the rural autobahns of Germany, where there is no posted limit. The DRIVERS in Germany, however, are very well trained, and it usually takes two years and thousands of Euros of instruction tuition to get a drivers license. While your RV may not have tires rated at 80 mph, RVs are not the only vehicles on the road. Interstate highways in rural areas are designed for such speeds, and most automobiles can safely operate at these speeds, as long as the driver isn't texting, taking on the phone, shaving, eating lunch, or doing anything other than driving. Distracted driving is where enforcement should be applied, not mandating slower speeds for the nebulous reasons of "saving energy" or "saving lives". Lower speed limits do neither.
Amen to that!
Old 04-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With modern advances in automotove technology and more stuff in the design labs,,80 90 or even 100 MPH might,,MIGHT become safe.

But not yet..Still Some folks think the above speeds are too slow

Michigan State Police parked a "Bear in the air" some years ago (Before those modern innovations I just mentioned) 65 zone Wrote 85 tickets before the bird had to return to base to refuel 85 Tickets, Minimum speed 85MPH top speed 105MPH.

A few days later the parked a different Bird over that freeway (One was a circling Airplane, the other a hovering 'copter) and again 85 tickets 85 to 105 MPH... Now the question is: Why do I think the 105 was the same idiot?
Old 04-14-2015, 07:03 PM   #25

In some places I can see that limit not overly excessive ... regarding gas mileage, our vette will do better with the cruise set at 84 then it does at 74 ... but that said, the coach will never be set at more then 65 ,,,, and we'll wave at the passer bys .... just like we do sittin in the park .........

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
This is not entirely wrong. There are studies indicating that setting the speed limit closer to what the traffic does actually reduces the range of speed between the slowest and faster drivers. This reduces the occurrences of people doing dumb things trying to get around that "crazy slow driver". The goal is to promote orderly traffic flow where more people are traveling closer to the same speed.
Which is why CA's 55 mph truck and towing speed is just to generate revenue.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #27

I never go faster than 65 - 70 mph when towing. I have towed out west with higher speed limits and have never felt that I was holding anyone back or unsafe driving slower than other vehicles. I seldom drive faster than 70 when not towing either. I'm not in a real hurry to get anywhere.
bluie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #28

Since virtually all MH and HDT tires have a 75 MPH maximum speed rating, and ST tires for TT's and 5er's have a 65 MPH maximum speed rating, anyone driving faster than that is asking for problems.
As long as there are limits and rules, there will be a group always trying to push the limits and rules. Set the speed limit at 120 MPH and you will see some trying to push that limit. Common sense is a rare thing these days.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote