Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #29
I too drove German Autobahns while in the service, and since when there on business or vacation. Speed is not the issue.

Having drivers actually drive within their ability is a different thing. As stated, Germans trying to get a license get a lot more training than US drivers (lets not mention all those in the US who drive without licenses).

The 55 mph speed limit was sold as a gas saver, but it was not, it was a revenue generator, and did not reduce accidents. Check the honest stats.

We should also remember, this is a speed LIMIT. It is not a suggested or minimum speed. Most of us know that people drive faster than posted speed limits anyway, if they are set too low.

I don't drive as fast as I used to in my youth, and I am most likely a better driver now, because I average 50K a year in a car, plus a few more thousand a year in the camper and other items. I do not drive big as fast as I drive small. I went faster in my Volvo convertible than I go in my SUV, which I drive faster than my MH.

Lets also remember, these are rules coming from various legislatures. These are not rocket scientists. They are politicians, applying a political solution to something.

I believe we need to get common sense, and advice on a smarter way to live our lives from a better source than these 'public servants' who are so regularly found out to be only looking out for their own best interests.

Want good quality answers to life questions? Talk to your grandfather or grandmother. Try your priest or rabbi. Ask your successful friends (not the one who shows up every couple years to spend a week on your couch after being thrown out of this or that life partnership).

Drive, live, have fun. Tow a fast convertible, and park the MH at the site, and drive at the speed of sound to the market to get a steak and salad to bring back and cook, and tell your friends over the campfire of all the silly people you saw on the highway...

Karl I. Sagal KarlSagal@Gmail.com
Well done is better than well said. (Ben Franklin)
1988 Fleetwood Southwind, 34'
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #30
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just drove my new to me coach from Alabama to Arizona and I only hit 75mph once testing the coach out passing on I-10. Of the 1700 plus miles of driving most all were 65-68 mph, that is were I was getting 7.5mpg and the MH just seemed to ride and handle the best. Many times I was being passed on I-10 by big rigs and some cars like I was on jack stands, they must have been in a hurry.

2008 National SurfSide 34E (Bunk Model) Ford V10
Sold- 1990 Hawkins Chevy P30 454
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:28 PM   #31
55 on the blue highways or 65 on the super slabs is about my comfort zone with the MH. OTOH as I recall when they put the 55 mph speed limit in nationally some of the western states saw the accident rate increase. 4 hour trips turned into 6 and people fell asleep. The cars today certainly handle better than what I remember back then so maybe there is a point for automobiles. As many have pointed out trucks, buses and the various camper choices all have lower limitations but that is we have extra lanes. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #32
Glad to hear they are finally bringing speed limits up to the speeds people are actually driving. Remember when it was 55 and all the old folks were sure the world would stop rotating if it was raised to 65??? Cars would be piled up along side the road and you wouldn't be able to make enough coffins for all the dead. Just remember the left lanes are for faster moving traffic...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #33
Monaco Owners Club
I'm pretty new to wrangling my RV down the road ... but at 43', more if the toad is back there - I'm comfortable and feeling in control in the 60-65 range. Much faster than that, not so much. Sure, it's easy to cruise along going faster - but if things go south, they seem to go south a lot faster north of 65 .... I just don't feel like I've got enough reaction time given the size of the rig.
2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 PM   #34
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like to keep my MH in the 60 to 65 range. It is amazing how car technology and performance has increased in the last decade. My econocar has factory rated tires for speeds up to 186 mph. The tire companies make a higher speed rating (>186). The 2 liter, 4 cylinder engine in the Focus can propel the car to 154 mph if there is enough roadway. While I'm in Florida, I can safely drive at 80 although many cars are flying by. It's amazing what modern cars can do. When I get home to the back woods of NH, I'll get the old Corvair out of storage to bring myself back to reality!
Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed
'13 Ford Focus ST or '10 Prius on Master Tow Dolly 80THD-SB or '00 Jeep Cherokee 4-down
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #35
I am not retired yet and my vacation time is usually limited so for me a lot of times I'd I want to enjoy another part of the country I need to put miles behind me. Last year after purchasing my class A in Phoenix we were on our way back to Iowa, I had the cruise set at 75 going across New Mexico I was passed by two Prevosts traveling together, they passed me like I was sitting still, they must have pulled off for food or fuel cause about an hour later they roared by me again.
When my wife and I travel on our Harleys we average any where from 500 to 700 miles a day. Heck we both have completed our Iron Butts, over 1000 miles in 24 hours.
2005 Cross Country SE 376ds (Sold)
2015 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
2015 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #36

Some have yet to discover that speed is not a skill.
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #37
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I can't imagine driving our MH 80 MPH!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #38
I remember reading somewhere that there is a governer in my Workhorse that will prevent me from accelerating past the engine RPM equivelent of 80 mph road speed. I suspect that my tires would give out before that on a hot day, they are only rated for 75 mph sustained speed with the load that I typically have on them.
Dave & Lynne - Retired & livin' the dream. '04 Bounder W32 on Workhorse W20 chassis powered by GM 8.1L gasser.
RoamingGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #39
I'll admit I like to drive a little fast but 80-85 in the rev is to much,but in the car that cruising.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #40
Happy with 65 - 70 in the Class C.
Jay & Jazz ~ Along The Way With J&J
1994 Tioga - Massachusetts
Follow Us! > Our Blog - YouTube - Twitter - FaceBook
jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #41
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
People tend to drive as fast as you let them, that usually means 5-7 over the limit is the norm (for 4 wheelers). So if they do a traffic study that shows 75 is the norm in a 70 zone and they raise it to 75, they do another study and then 80 is the new norm, and so they raise it to 80, then everybody drives 85. Where is the endpoint?

While there are sweet spots for each vehicle as far a optimum gas mileage, in general, the faster you go, the worse the mileage as wind resistance and rolling friction goes up as the speed increases. So I agree, how are they ever going to meet the new higher mileage standards if they keep raising the speed limits?
Ole and Anne Anderson, Highland, Michigan
'02 Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, ours since 4/08,Goodyears, Konis, SeeLevel, CHF
'84 CJ-7 , 5.3 Chevy, 3" lift, 33's, Detroit Locker, Fiberglas tub, winch, hi-lift
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:48 AM   #42
My experience while driving in those areas of 75+mph limits, has been that for the most part people were not pushing/exceeding the upper limit. Most traffic, including trucks, were running just as they would if the limit were 70. Difference noted here, is those running over 70 were now doing so legally....

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is online now   Reply With Quote