Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
80 MPH, 85 MPH fast enough?

There are states that have up'ed the Speed Limits to 80 and some 85 MPH. You know drivers will encroach even slightly higher speeds.

I for one do not drive a Truck and 38' Triple axle 18,000 rig down the road at 80 MPH. I am comfortable at the 65 - 70 range. Enjoy the ride and enjoy the scenery along the way.

I remember a FT a while back commented here about 2 X 2 X 2. If I recall it was On the road for 2 hours, in by 2 and stay at least 2 days.

Now that is the way to enjoy a trip. But these fast highway interstate speeds will mean more accidents in my opinion.

Our home state of South Dakota is one of the states that went to 80 MPH. The summer months they carry a ton of RV'ers along the interstate system. I-29 & I-90. Sturgis has the 75th Anniversary this year and estimates are there will be a million visitors.

I don't know, just my opinion but I am not sure 80mph on a system designed for slower speeds with lesser traffic is asking for trouble.

I do not want to push my rig that hard or the tires or anything else. So I guess stay over in that right lane and LOOK OUT for the fools who think that 80 or even 85 are not fast enough.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #2

I just keep in the right lane,65 mph. Here in Texas, where the limit gets up to 80, traffic is usually thin enough that I'm not a problem. When I'm down to 4 wheels, I'm flyin' low with the rest,
Old 04-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I drive a MH, an old truck, and lifted/modified jeep. Only time I can see 80mph is downhill with a tailwind. 60-65 works fine for me, thanks.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #4

Most trailer tires aren't rated for those speeds.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many, at least my 06 Ford, has an electronic speed limiter set to 75 MPH. If I wanted I could pay for a new program to over ride the limit. Not sure why I would need. Bumped up against it a few times. Wasn't much fun at that speed, can't imagine what 80 and above is like.

Also coach tires usually are not rated above 75 MPH. You can bump up against the limit for a bit but sustain high speed for a couple hours and you might have a tire failure of some type.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
There are stretches of I-10 where it's 85. Like posted before, 65 in the right lane and don't sweat it... I've been through there with no problems. I always tow at 65, but bump it up to 70 when passing slower traffic, just to get out of the way in a timely fashion. Safe travels.......
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Good ole Utah has 80 mph on the interstates. The fools just raised the limit to 70mph on the freeways in the Salt Lake City area.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
God help you if you have make a emergency stop at these speeds
poppy bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Most of the highways have a design speed higher than the posted speed. I expect that the interstates which have the 80 mph speed limit are either at or still under the design speed. Curves that do not meet the 80 mph speed requirement are posted at a lower speed.

Newer car designs also mean that higher speed limits are possible.

Was in SLC when they were discussing the higher speed limits on a talk show. Some bureaucrat was proudly proclaiming that the number of speeding tickets had gone down since the speed limit was raised.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:18 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy bill View Post
God help you if you have make a emergency stop at these speeds
I think it could be described as: "A crash is a sincere attempt to slow down!"
Old 04-14-2015, 04:18 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
Most trailer tires aren't rated for those speeds.
The Michelins on our Magna are only rated for 75 and I don't think there are many (any) rated for higher speeds! I'm pretty sure the gearing on the Magna will let it reach 100 (and the engine is capable of it) but the towed is only rated to 65 so I hold it to somewhere close to that. Oh yes a ticket for 67 in CA (12 over the 55 towing limit) will cost you $469!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:19 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My toad a CRV says top speed 55 when being towed so no worries here. I dont run with the big dogs in our MH
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #13

I don’t understand what is going on in this country!

If you agree or not, according to the EPA we have an energy problem, i.e. Every year the EPA demands higher fuel mileage on new cars. But now we have a 80 or even 85 MPH speed limit!

Do I see something wrong here? Isn’t this a conflicting message?
Old 04-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
There are states that have up'ed the Speed Limits to 80 and some 85 MPH. You know drivers will encroach even slightly higher speeds.

I for one do not drive a Truck and 38' Triple axle 18,000 rig down the road at 80 MPH. I am comfortable at the 65 - 70 range. Enjoy the ride and enjoy the scenery along the way.

I remember a FT a while back commented here about 2 X 2 X 2. If I recall it was On the road for 2 hours, in by 2 and stay at least 2 days.

Now that is the way to enjoy a trip. But these fast highway interstate speeds will mean more accidents in my opinion.

Our home state of South Dakota is one of the states that went to 80 MPH. The summer months they carry a ton of RV'ers along the interstate system. I-29 & I-90. Sturgis has the 75th Anniversary this year and estimates are there will be a million visitors.

I don't know, just my opinion but I am not sure 80mph on a system designed for slower speeds with lesser traffic is asking for trouble.

I do not want to push my rig that hard or the tires or anything else. So I guess stay over in that right lane and LOOK OUT for the fools who think that 80 or even 85 are not fast enough.
fords shut off at 74-76 mph.
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote