Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #1

84 coachman upgraded wiring up two generators

Hello
i have 84 coachman 35ft , two coleman roof ac , one portable ac , electric freg , 32 lcd tv , stereo ,19 inch tv , micro wave , etc .
My 5500 46 amp would not carry the older two coleman units ,cleaned/new filters , etc . So done some trading , got
a big titan 8500w generator , had to buy large cargo carrier and put on back of motorhome . Now plenty of watts/amps to run all just in case .

Ok , bought 3 60 amp service disconnectts , wiring up so each generator totally seperate loads , when want to plug in 50 amp , kill generator unplug plug , filp disconnect , now would you ground all togetther during both running generators or seperate . Also at my 50 amp plug female would you bond nuetral to ground ??also when get parked plugged in ,still able to run generator and ac 50 amp if need .
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What, how,why totally confused ??????

Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ya.. little confusing..I dont see why you need to parallel the 2 gensets. the 8500w should do the job on its own. Running both in parallel with cost quite a bit and prolly be less than optimal given the differences in the gensets...

In any case, heres some info on paralleling and grounding..

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52413

http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.com/parallel_gensets.aspx

http://www.google.com/search?q=groun...w=1239&bih=573

http://www.cumminspower.com/www/lite...ingAC-1-en.pdf

http://www.cumminspower.com/www/lite...ingAC-2-en.pdf

Do NOT bond the Neutral and Ground on the 50 cord..
Old 08-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Heck, the 5500 W genset should have handled the load, and the 8500 can do it without even breathing hard. Why continue to use the 5500 now that yyou have the 8500?

The neutral should not be bonded to ground for shore power - that is a NEC code violation.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #5

hello
the 5500 47 amp would not carry load ,two roof coleman ac , one 10,000btu portable ac , refrigarator ,inverter box for 12v lights ,32 inch tv , 19 inch tv ,microwave ,etc

done test 1 yesterday , wired up 8500 gen ,two 30 amp outlets , two roof ac units ,inverter box for 12v , one problem ,one hot leg had 120 going to 5500 gen . going to trace out and disconnect , so can use 5500 gen to run rest of motorhome .32 lcd tv,refrig , portable ac ,full size microwave ,

the big titan 8500w would carry all but would be close to maxuim output , plus going to add another coleman roof ac ,one those 100 degree days , want to keep cool 70 to 75 .

thanks for inputs

done test 2 , cut all 3 disconnects on position, plug in shore 50 amp , everthing works ,
Old 08-28-2011, 06:20 AM   #6

two generators updated tests results

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary rvroamer View Post
heck, the 5500 w genset should have handled the load, and the 8500 can do it without even breathing hard. Why continue to use the 5500 now that yyou have the 8500?

The neutral should not be bonded to ground for shore power - that is a nec code violation.
hello
tested 8500 watt gen with two roof ac units ,and inverter , what a diffence ac units puts out ice cold , not starving for amps like 5500 47 amp gen .i fired up 5500 gen to run portable 10000 ac unit , refrig , 32 lcd tv, microwave, everthing worked expect tv , got to trace out .

Thanks for inputs
Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84coachman View Post
hello
the 5500 47 amp would not carry load ,two roof coleman ac , one 10,000btu portable ac , refrigarator ,inverter box for 12v lights ,32 inch tv , 19 inch tv ,microwave ,etc

done test 1 yesterday , wired up 8500 gen ,two 30 amp outlets , two roof ac units ,inverter box for 12v , one problem ,one hot leg had 120 going to 5500 gen . going to trace out and disconnect , so can use 5500 gen to run rest of motorhome .32 lcd tv,refrig , portable ac ,full size microwave ,

the big titan 8500w would carry all but would be close to maxuim output , plus going to add another coleman roof ac ,one those 100 degree days , want to keep cool 70 to 75 .

thanks for inputs

done test 2 , cut all 3 disconnects on position, plug in shore 50 amp , everthing works ,

Kinda lost me also,works on 50amp shore power,but fails on 47amp genset.Does 3 amps make that mush difference?The failure was probably in a 15 amp plug,most wall plugs in most rigs are wired together 15amps breaker,so when you plug in a portable ac,microwave,tv,toaster,etc in a 15 amp or 20 amp circuit,breakers are going to trip.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Paralleling two generators requires synchronizing the power frequency. The inverter style generators can do this fairly easily. On the older fixed drive speed units, it no so easy to go.

You can read up on parallel issues...
http://www.kge.com/resources/6723211.pdf
http://www.kraftpower.com/pdfs/KPC_I...aralleling.pdf

Ken
Old 08-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84coachman View Post
. . . now would you ground all togetther during both running generators or seperate . Also at my 50 amp plug female would you bond nuetral to ground ??also when get parked plugged in ,still able to run generator and ac 50 amp if need .
Thanks
Say Huh?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm thinking both these gennies running at the same time will drink 2 gallons of fuel or better per hour fully loaded.

$7/hr to keep cool? Your budget must be significantly bigger than mine.

Personally, I'd be in a electric-included RV park or headed to higher altitudes or further north...

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
I'm thinking both these gennies running at the same time will drink 2 gallons of fuel or better per hour fully loaded.

$7/hr to keep cool? Your budget must be significantly bigger than mine.

Personally, I'd be in a electric-included RV park or headed to higher altitudes or further north...
hello
7 dollars a hour for generators is out of my budget also ,
yesterday found problem , bad receptable
, replaced all receptabes/boxes with new from lowes .
i also found bad hot leg connection at inverter box , loose wire nut .
i beleive the titan 8500w generator will run everything now , but if i add another roof ac {already have} would overload titan 8500 gen .i would use only if 100 degrees outside and wanted 72 degrees .
Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
3 ACs??? Where you live at?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:37 AM   #13

generators upgraded ,all runs 8500watts

hello
i disconnected the 5500 gen plugs and wired everthing to 8500 watt gen today , the gen carried everything , 2 older mach el coleman roof ac units , portable 10000 btu ac , 32 lcd tv , refrigerator , microwave , inverter box ,etc i divided up load to 8500 by the two 30 amp for coleman ac units , the two 20 amp to the rest .
everything good .

i live in rockingham ,north carolina ,going to have two large dogs traveling with us , need to keep cool 72 dgrees .plan to travel to myrtle beach , cape hattersss ,
thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Wow, thats a lotta air. Knew that 8500 could do it...

Tags
wiring