Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #1

88 E350 Ford 460 RV will not start ?!?!? HELP PLEASE

Okay I am some what machanicslly inclined ! I have a 88 e-350 winnabago rv with the 460 motor . Ran great till I went to replace the thermostat and got coolant every where in the front of the motor . I hosed away all the coolant . And after reassembly it tried to start and kinda fire but wouldn't . Soon after nothing! I noticed there was some moisture in distributor so I let it dry out and then next morning fired it and it ran for about 5 min and shut off . !?!?
-rv is getting fuel to the fuel rail!
-rv has very goo spark
- spray starting fluid in intake will run for a few seconds
- when I turn the key I can here the fuel pump run the whole time key is on!
- believe injectors are not working !?!?
- could the PIP in the dizzy cause no injector fire ? Could I have fried it in the dizzy?
- or could the computer randomly gone bad ?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 08:37 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Ronnie Tucker

Old 08-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #3

No but had good pressure coming out of the valve on the rail . Just lead me to believe it's not the pump bc it just happened after I replaced thermostat
Old 08-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Old trick WD40 inside the distributor. What happens if any water is left inside and you try to start the rotor cap will make a little twister inside and will shut down. Spray the cap and all inside.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
Old trick WD40 inside the distributor. What happens if any water is left inside and you try to start the rotor cap will make a little twister inside and will shut down. Spray the cap and all inside.

Okay I'll try it
I was wondering if
I fried the PIP inside the distributor .
Old 08-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieTucker View Post
Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Ronnie Tucker
No but had good pressure coming out of the valve on the rail . Just lead me to believe it's not the pump bc it just happened after I replaced thermostat
Old 08-05-2016, 08:27 PM   #7

In the old days having your engine go down because of wet weather was so common I kept cans of WD-40 in both my cars. If I went through a large puddle too fast and the engine stalled I'd jump out and hose the inside and outside of the distributer with WD-40 and off I'd go. Once it got so wet I began losing spark through the plug wires (you could see it sparking) so I sprayed the plug wires with WD-40 and I was good to go. BTW WD-40 means Water Displacement formula #40.

Steve
Old 08-06-2016, 08:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
In the old days having your engine go down because of wet weather was so common I kept cans of WD-40 in both my cars. If I went through a large puddle too fast and the engine stalled I'd jump out and hose the inside and outside of the distributer with WD-40 and off I'd go. Once it got so wet I began losing spark through the plug wires (you could see it sparking) so I sprayed the plug wires with WD-40 and I was good to go. BTW WD-40 means Water Displacement formula #40.

Steve
No luck!!!
Old 08-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #9

If the fuel pump runs the whole time the key is on then it is never developing pressure, either from a fuel leak or bad injectors stuck open. Or possibly fuel pump diaphragm. If you spray starting fluid and it runs for a second then it is not getting fuel.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #10

As above...If runs on starting fluid it is fuel problem but maybe not fuel system.

You have spark so forget pip.

Yiu can unplug it to test and the distributor will now be self contained and not computer controlled but will be about 10 degrees advanced.

It could be connection from computer to injectors.

If all was well before water spray look for any and all connectors and one at a time open each one and blow out with compressed air.

Look for fuel injectors and follow the harness to get any connections cleaned.
Our van has issue that stranded us and solution was to unscrew the connector and wiggle it on and off a couple times then repeat and secure the screw so try that.

The pressure may be there but too low to work and the is a roll over switch but yiu state it stays running so tank unit working so switch goid.

Cannot remember if secondary pump...Ours is 89 too but have not messed with it in years.
Do get a Haynes manual as they are great for issues like this too.

Tags
ford