Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
99 Tradewinds 7370 highway speed vibration

At speeds from 60mph and up the coach vibrates from the front back to the galley area.
Just had the front end aligned less then 5,000 miles ago. Tires are 8 year old Michelins, with excellent tread and no checking. Any thoughts out there?

ddupille is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Check the ride height adjustment and make sure they measure it the right way.
I went through the same thing and ended up teaching them the correct way.

wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Tires out of balance or tires going out of round could cause this.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddupille View Post
At speeds from 60mph and up the coach vibrates from the front back to the galley area.
Just had the front end aligned less then 5,000 miles ago. Tires are 8 year old Michelins, with excellent tread and no checking. Any thoughts out there?
Well, with 8 year old Michelin's, I would be very cautious if I developed a front end shake! Sounds like a tire that is about to come apart! As a lot of times, they can look very good on the outside, and come apart from the inside! A belt breaks, and it will cause a vibration, and it will not get better! I would get to a tire shop, and have them inspect the two front tires, just for peace of mind! Look for unusual bulges or ripples, inside and outside of the tires, and when you get to the shop, have them remove them, and take a look at the inside of the tires! Also if you have the means to jack the front end up and spin the tires, do so to make sure the tread is straight, and no wavy tread when spinning. Also put something close to the tread but not touching it, and spin the tire by hand, to check the roundness!
JMHO! Rail!
Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ddupille,
This is going to take a few bucks, but might be worth it. Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel? Have you had the tires since they were new? Are you anal about correct PSI (for weight being carried).

Consider taking the coach to a store that handles truck tires. Make sure all the suspension parts are in good working order. Inspect the shocks. Have them dismount the steer axle tires and inspect the interior of the tires. You should be there to join in the inspection. Found nothing wrong? Remount and balance the tires but mount them on the opposite side of the axle they originally came from. Give the coach a test ride with someone from the store with skill.

Did the vibration go away? If yes, The tires just needed to be rebalanced. If no, replace the steer axle tires.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Are you sure it's the tires -- might want to check the drive shaft
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:22 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk7678 View Post
Are you sure it's the tires -- might want to check the drive shaft
That is why I suggested checking the ride height as being out of spec's
more than 1/4 inch will cause all types of vibrations at different speeds.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #8

I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested as 8 year old tires first thing to do was replace tires?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
kirk7678 has the idea. Drive shaftbent or the universal joint gone bad (bearings). I would check to make sure the nuts are tight on the Ujoints. If the bearings are going south, you like would hear a roaring noise at lower speed
Old 01-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Sorry it took me a bit to get back. Thank you you all for confirming my same thoughts as well. That said I was not aware that the coach ride height could cause vibration issues too. After a thorough inspection by my wife (school bus mechanic) and me we did find a broken bushing on the drivers side on the top steering link. The coach is in the shop getting repaired and then it will go to the tire shop for is complete removal and internal inspection/replacement/alignment which ever. Thanks again for everyone's prompt reply. I wasn't sure if this particular coach has front end issues. We owned since 2005 and we love it!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry it took me a bit to get back. Thank you you all for confirming my same thoughts as well. That said I was not aware that the coach ride height could cause vibration issues too. After a thorough inspection by my wife (school bus mechanic) and me we did find a broken bushing on the drivers side on the top steering link. The coach is in the shop getting repaired and then it will go to the tire shop for is complete removal and internal inspection/replacement/alignment which ever. Thanks again for everyone's prompt reply. I wasn't sure if this particular coach has front end issues. We owned since 2005 and we love it!
Yes ride height effects not only the alignment of the drive shaft but also the alignment of the front, and as I said been there.
When it is not right there will be vibrations at different speeds and engine loads.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:21 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Okay, here's my update on how things ended. The bushing that we discovered is a track bar bushing which I'm told is not related to vibration issues. Took it to the tire shop and the front end checked out okay. Placed it on the rack spun the front tires and checked for true, both okay. Removed and de mounted the tires and check the inner walls, both okay. Remounted and did a spin balance with some weight adjustment. Switched sides and did an alignment which took a minor adjustment. Test drove okay. Picked it up towed my Jeep Grand Cherokee home by freeway and it drove like brand new. The broken bushing on the track bar is not replaceable according to Freightliner. You have to by the entire track bar, $600.
Thanks again for all the replies.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:06 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Okay, here's my update on how things ended. The bushing that we discovered is a track bar bushing which I'm told is not related to vibration issues. Took it to the tire shop and the front end checked out okay. Placed it on the rack spun the front tires and checked for true, both okay. Removed and de mounted the tires and check the inner walls, both okay. Remounted and did a spin balance with some weight adjustment. Switched sides and did an alignment which took a minor adjustment. Test drove okay. Picked it up towed my Jeep Grand Cherokee home by freeway and it drove like brand new. The broken bushing on the track bar is not replaceable according to Freightliner. You have to by the entire track bar, $600.
Thanks again for all the replies.

Great news, and good to hear your 8 year old tire's looked ok! I would keep a very close eye on them and have them checked every year! You might check on a local welding shop or racing fab. shop that might be able to fix the track bar? Worth a shot, if you know of someone! Rail!

Tags
vibration