Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #1

A bad TT involved crash on Hwy 20 in Oregon

Came upon this awful accident just west of the Santiam Pass summit on the way home from a week "workamping" in Bend, OR. I arrived about 30 minutes afterward and spent about 1:20 waiting for them to clear the road. About an hour in they had most folks who could, turn around and go back. Wasn't an option for those of us towing so we moved down closer to the accident.

Snow hasn't started on the passes yet but the road was wet and that's a notoriously bad corner at the end of a passing lane. According to preliminary OSP report the car lost control going into the 45 mph corner and was t-boned by the suburban pulling the TT. Three people killed in the car, apparently no significant injuries in the suburban.

Looks to me like the TT tongue may have buckled or maybe it sheared off the ball and drove partway under the Suburban.

Be careful out there folks. Winter's coming, the roads are slick and the other guy bears watching.
sinnettc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 11:25 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Very sad to hear.
We just got back from Oregon a few hours ago. if only everyone were "careful".....we saw quite a few people cut in front of us, not allowing us much braking room.
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #3

300 million people in America. If 10% are inconsiderate, selfish, and don't know the meaning of the word "courtesy", that's 30 million "dingbats" that we have to watch out for.....
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sad to see!! We just returned through there last Sunday! Fairly heavy traffic, be safe out there.
Mtn Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #5

We have been on this road in the past and while it is a beautiful drive, one really needs to pay attention to driving.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The trailer looks ok but the tow vehicle is toast. It it usually the trailer with the heavy damage.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #7

We saw this on the news......we had just been in the area about 2 hours earlier! The pavement was wet but not so bad to have "caused" the accident. Sad!!!
B&D+5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:48 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&D+5er View Post
We saw this on the news......we had just been in the area about 2 hours earlier! The pavement was wet but not so bad to have "caused" the accident. Sad!!!
I've driven that curve hundreds of times, and it's definitely one where you should observe the "suggested" speed, which I believe is 35 or 40. It's obvious the lady driving the car was going much too fast for the curve and the conditions. Incredibly sad situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fefelovs-Web-1019-jpg.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	76945  
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We came over that stretch of highway last summer with our coach and pulling our toad. In addition, we were traveling with two more 40+ coaches with toads behind us. Since I've been down that road a few times before, they suggested I go first. I recommended that they keep at least a 100' interval between coaches.

I deliberately kept my speed waaay down (at least at or below posted speed limits) and on several occasions, we had up to 15 cars behind us (kinda hard to find a pullout that will handle three 40+ coaches w/toads). However, I was able to find sufficient space to stop and let others pass and was amazed at how fast all of them were going. The road has about 12 miles of 6% down grade with curves every few hundred feet....with most of them posted 35 or less. This is definitely a road to mind your manners and the speed signs.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
That is so sad it stupid on just how fast people think they need to go and the next thing you hear is someone is dead for no reason SORRY TO HEAR: Thanks for the information first time on this iam a new member.
makemday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #11

So sad but this validates my decision to get the East and West Mountain Directory for Truckers, RVers. I want to be prepared for the road ahead, especially if we are unfamiliar with the area.
Diesel Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:18 AM   #12
bap

my prayers are with all involved,,,the family that was killed and the family that was towing,,,,mm,no matter whos fault it would be hard to live with....

but thanks for posting, cause this happens everyday somewhere and its good to be brought to the front of our thoughts......noone wakes up to have something like this happen,,,,,its a shame....
bap is offline   Reply With Quote