Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
A bunch of bees in 5Th W hitch.......

A swarm of bees(domestic ones) have taken residence inside the hitch of my Nash 5th W.I have tried everything possible and come to the conclusion I have to kill the colony.Ace hardware recommends Spectracid
Ace # 7304645,does anybody have experience with the product or had similar problem and how did you get rid of them?Bee people came over,I did consult people about the problem with no solution.......
Looking forward to your replies.ara

araucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
Carolina Campers
If you can find a good bee keeper in the area, they should be able to take them away for you. I read that you stated bee people came over, if the bee people are bee keepers I think you might need to find another.

2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 309BHL
2004 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 using an Equalizer 10,000lb hitch
lunatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Are we talking about honey bees or yellow jackets?
1999 Trade Winds 7371 Cat 3126B w/current upgrades
1990 D 250 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
How long have the bees been in the hitch? Are they inside the hitch where they can't be reached by hand? I'm a former bee-keeper.

If you cannot get to the bees by hand and there is an opening where they enter and return, you can put on something they call a bee excluder (if I remember correctly). A beekeeper would likely do this at night when all the bees are in the hive. It's a small metal device that allows a bee to exit the hive but won't allow her to return through the door in the excluder. You also have to close up all other openings. So, the beekeeper will return the following night and pick up all the bees hanging in a clump at the door of the hive and either add them to an existing hive somewhere else or start a new one with a new queen. These are the ones that couldn't get back into the hive. If you do this for a few days, there will be very few bees left and the hive will die off. Another trick is to provide a new hive box right next to the TT hitch with a queen already inside. When the bees cannot get back into the hitch hive, they will go into the new hive and help the new queen build it up. After a few days, the beekeeper shows up at night and collects the bees in the new hive box.

In this area, bees are an endangered species. It would be a shame to kill them all off, given the service they provide. We would have very little fruit or nuts without them to pollinate crops.
2004 Tiffin Allegro 27.5 ft. P32 18,000 lb GVW. 8.1 liter. Workhorse chassis built May 2002. 21,000 miles. 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad. RVi2 brake unit.
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As just an aside (I wouldn't do this with honey bees) I ways use a cheap can of starting fluid. Not only is it ether, it comes out freezing. Spraying towards the nest as you approach drops any flying instantly. Then soaking the nest takes care of the rest. Been doing this for years and never been stung.... they don't have a chance!
John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it is bees a local bee keeper will usually remove the colony and locate them on his property for free.

If it yellow jackets or wasp, use a long range spray wasp killer.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
I'd say get a bug bomb if there is a way to put it in there. it will fog every thing in there and kill them. if not that wasp spray. but be carefull that many bee stings will put you in the hospital.
Time is life! money is just a tool. how much of your life is a tool worth?

Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dawn dish soap mixed in water will kill them without having to use insecticide. I use it in a garden sprayer.
I had one instance where I had to use a shop vac to suck them out where water would have damaged a speaker. Do it in the coolest part of the day when they are least active.
Harold & Linda
2009 CT coachworks siena 35V
W22 Workhorse 8.1L. Explorer Sport toad,
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
I had hive behind drywall in our house , called local bee keeper and he took whole hive and colony of bees (60k) yes it was huge .
If you try to kill them and any of the hive remains you will have future problems .
The bee population is in serous decline any local bee keeper should be keen to help .
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with getting a beekeeper to come get them. If they are domestic bees a beekeeper should gladly take them and know how to do it safely. Domestic bees have suffered a serious decline in recent times so any chance to save these is worth the trouble. Just remember, bees are responsible for the pollination of most fruits and vegatable we consume. These aggravating little insects are vital to our survival.
John- 2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
either a bee-keeper or starter fluid. no residue after either, except the nest.

1999 Winnebago Minnie 29', Ford V10, Close to stock.
W4MBG is offline   Reply With Quote