Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #15
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmandmc View Post
had this happen to a family member, if oil level is low, gen wouldnt start.
Correct, some Gen engines have a low oil shutoff but that would interrupt the ignition circuit so again, if there is no ignition (spark), one for the causes could be interuption of the ignition circuit.
__________________

__________________
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
palehorse89's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,751
Confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I thought I would post this in the General Discussion forum because I am not getting much feedback from the National Owner's forum.

I have an '05 Dolphin LX, Workhorse with 8.1 gas engine.

I went camping this last weekend. It was very cold (even froze the drinking water hose).

When leaving the park, I was in a hurry and I made the mistake of not flipping the 50 amp breaker before disconnecting. Now have no A/C nor will the generator start.

When I say no A/C, I mean that even the thermostats does not display anything at all, and there is no response regardless if I move the switch to LP Gas or electric.

The generator was recently fully serviced and ran fine the day before going camping. It is getting fuel and when I push the starter switch it turns over, but there appears to be no spark.

I believe that my issue is related to a possible power surge that made through a breaker or a fuse tripped, or something. I looked at all the breakers that I am aware of on the inside panel, on the generator, and on the inverter, but did not find any that are flipped.

Regardless, now I am plugged in at home to a 50 amp box.

All the other electrical is working fine. All the plugs, the convection oven, the TV's, water heater, all lights, the refrigerator, etc.

I thought I would reach out to my iRV2 friends to see if anyone had any thoughts about what else I may try.

Please provide your feedback.

Thanks,
Ted
I am kind of confused Ted, one sentence you say "no a/c" and further down in your post you "All other electrical is fine"
Some of the things you mentioned are 12VDC and others are 120VAC, What exactly is not operating correctly, gen-set won't start? does it even roll over and try to start? Have you check "all" of your fuse panels on the 12VDC side of things and your breaker panel for the 120VAC side of things? Breakers on Gen-set? "ALL" GFCI's?
__________________

__________________
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
tedgard01's Avatar


 
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I am kind of confused Ted, one sentence you say "no a/c" and further down in your post you "All other electrical is fine" Some of the things you mentioned are 12VDC and others are 120VAC, What exactly is not operating correctly, gen-set won't start? does it even roll over and try to start? Have you check "all" of your fuse panels on the 12VDC side of things and your breaker panel for the 120VAC side of things? Breakers on Gen-set? "ALL" GFCI's?
A/C = Air Conditioner, not Alternating Current.

All the 12VDC & 120VAC devices are working except the Air Conditioning and the Generator.

The Generator turns over when I push the start button, the primer on the generator works to prime it with fuel. It just does not start, like it has no spark to ignite the gas.

I checked all the fuses that I am aware of on both the 12VDC side and on the 120VAC side. I have turned them off and back on to reset them, as well as the breakers on the generator.

I checked the GFI plugs and tested them and reset them.

Every thing seems to be working except the Air Conditioner and the generator is not starting.
__________________
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,251
Does the thermostat now show in the display? If it's not working, the air conditioner (and furnace) won't work because they are controlled by the thermostat.
On the generator, check the oil level, if it's low it might disable ignition. Libero gave you good hints on checking for spark. Another way if have an old spark plug (any old one, from a car, lawnmower, outboard, weed-eater, etc.) remove spark plug wire from generator and plug in the old plug. Hold by the wire insulation and touch the threaded part against ground and have someone crank generator. A spark should jump the gap.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
tedgard01's Avatar


 
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Does the thermostat now show in the display? If it's not working, the air conditioner (and furnace) won't work because they are controlled by the thermostat. On the generator, check the oil level, if it's low it might disable ignition. Libero gave you good hints on checking for spark. Another way if have an old spark plug (any old one, from a car, lawnmower, outboard, weed-eater, etc.) remove spark plug wire from generator and plug in the old plug. Hold by the wire insulation and touch the threaded part against ground and have someone crank generator. A spark should jump the gap.
The thermostat does not display anything.

The generator was recently serviced. It was working fine the day prior to my camping trip. I'll check the oil again, but it was just changed and therefore it should be full.

The spark plus was just changed, but I will try to check the spark again.
__________________
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
mojoracing's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: northern IL
Posts: 2,557
your air conditioning is not going to run on shore power or gen if your thermostat is not getting power. See if you have power getting to it. If you do, replace the stat. I would bet you are not getting any spark at the gen. Like someone else said, use a spare plug, stick it into the plug boot and hold the threaded portion of the plug against the gens engine block or head to ground it. While cranking see if you have spark. If you don't, its time to dig into the ten and figure out why your ignition is not sending any juice to the plug wire. If you do have spark, its time to pull your plugs and see if the existing plugs are getting spark. If they are you then need to check that you are getting not only fuel but the proper fuel mixture to start the gen.
__________________
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
tedgard01's Avatar


 
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
your air conditioning is not going to run on shore power or gen if your thermostat is not getting power. See if you have power getting to it. If you do, replace the stat. I would bet you are not getting any spark at the gen. Like someone else said, use a spare plug, stick it into the plug boot and hold the threaded portion of the plug against the gens engine block or head to ground it. While cranking see if you have spark. If you don't, its time to dig into the ten and figure out why your ignition is not sending any juice to the plug wire. If you do have spark, its time to pull your plugs and see if the existing plugs are getting spark. If they are you then need to check that you are getting not only fuel but the proper fuel mixture to start the gen.
Thanks!
__________________
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
tedgard01's Avatar


 
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 3,010
As an update;

I took the coach to the Camping World shop.

As indicated previously, it appeared that there must be something preventing the thermostat from getting 12V power. That is what they confirmed. They ran a jumper wire and said that the heater/air conditioner worked fine when they got power to the thermostat. They said that there is "an open wire" and that they will need to run a new wire. Who knows, but maybe a mouse ate through the wire or something.... I just hope he got his just rewards...

In regard to the Generator, they have not determined what the problem is. They could get it started, but it only runs a few minutes and then stops. The generator does not through a code, therefore it is hard to diagnose the issue. They will need to take it over to Onan for further diagnosis.

Maybe it is time to consider trading up......

Ted
__________________
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Excell's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Winnipeg Manitoba
Posts: 315
Trading up will cost a lot more than fixing this one . The generator probably
needs a fuel pump and filter .Let the Onan guys fix it ,it will be cheaper in the long run .
__________________
Excell
1999 Georgie Boy Landau 3512 on Ford F53
2006 Mazda Tribute ,2001 Goldwing
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
spritz's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: c above
Posts: 4,954
New aged Mechanics

I took my 64 to a shop by the S&B last summer and was told by the shop Mgr that non of his mechanics know how to work on a engine that has a carburetor.
Now that is sad, I suppose all the old time mechanics are Rving.
Tim
__________________

__________________
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad: 1999 Deville Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.