Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
A/C & Generator stopped working

I thought I would post this in the General Discussion forum because I am not getting much feedback from the National Owner's forum.

I have an '05 Dolphin LX, Workhorse with 8.1 gas engine.

I went camping this last weekend. It was very cold (even froze the drinking water hose).

When leaving the park, I was in a hurry and I made the mistake of not flipping the 50 amp breaker before disconnecting. Now have no A/C nor will the generator start.

When I say no A/C, I mean that even the thermostats does not display anything at all, and there is no response regardless if I move the switch to LP Gas or electric.

The generator was recently fully serviced and ran fine the day before going camping. It is getting fuel and when I push the starter switch it turns over, but there appears to be no spark.

I believe that my issue is related to a possible power surge that made through a breaker or a fuse tripped, or something. I looked at all the breakers that I am aware of on the inside panel, on the generator, and on the inverter, but did not find any that are flipped.

Regardless, now I am plugged in at home to a 50 amp box.

All the other electrical is working fine. All the plugs, the convection oven, the TV's, water heater, all lights, the refrigerator, etc.

I thought I would reach out to my iRV2 friends to see if anyone had any thoughts about what else I may try.

Please provide your feedback.

Thanks,
Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Your thermostats are 12 v. Since other 12 v systems are working (water heater, refrigerator, interior lights) I don't think your house batteries or solenoids are at fault. Since the generator turns over but doesn't start, it also is getting 12 v. Check for spark on the generator. Not sure that unplugging shore cord while powered should cause generator or thermostat to not work, sounds like you've got more than one problem, but not caused by the actions your described.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your transfer switch seperates the AC from the cord and the AC in the generator. There is no way that a normal surge in the cord could go into the generator. A jolt from a lightening strike could possibly arch across the switch, but not a normal surge.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not going to be much help but how about a clogged fuel filter, Choke problem, blown inline fuse, breaker tripped. I believe that on our PA if you let the rear tank get below 1/4 the gennie will not start to prevent you from running the tank dry. I haven't tested that one out yet
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #5

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Your thermostats are 12 v. Since other 12 v systems are working (water heater, refrigerator, interior lights) I don't think your house batteries or solenoids are at fault. Since the generator turns over but doesn't start, it also is getting 12 v. Check for spark on the generator. Not sure that unplugging shore cord while powered should cause generator or thermostat to not work, sounds like you've got more than one problem, but not caused by the actions your described.
Thanks for the response.

I will try to check the spark, but not sure how to do that. My assumption is to pull the plug and then try to start it and look at the plug for a spark?? I am not even sure I can get to the plug or remove it.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #6

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Your transfer switch seperates the AC from the cord and the AC in the generator. There is no way that a normal surge in the cord could go into the generator. A jolt from a lightening strike could possibly arch across the switch, but not a normal surge.
Thanks for the reply. I don't know where the "transfer switch" is located, but in will look for that in the manual.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #7

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Not going to be much help but how about a clogged fuel filter, Choke problem, blown inline fuse, breaker tripped. I believe that on our PA if you let the rear tank get below 1/4 the gennie will not start to prevent you from running the tank dry. I haven't tested that one out yet
Thank you for the reply. I have almost a full tank of gas.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just thinking while reading your response do you have 2 breakers on the gennie by the start button? maybe one of those tripped. My bad, I have never shut the power off before disconnecting from SP didn't know you were suppose to. Good luck will be watching for final outcome. Thanks
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #9

Some breakers don't necessarily LOOK like they are tripped. it is best to cycle each one tobe sure. Flip to off, then back on. Especially the genny breakers. And you likely have two spark plugs on the genny, one of which will be nearly impossible to get to unless you have a genny slide out. Be sure and post a fix or progress report when you get it.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #10

Carolina Campers
There are two breakers on the generator. They have both been reset without result.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #11

Carolina Campers
Thank you all for replying.

As no one has provided any additional, reasonable things I can look at, beyond my own knowledge, I will try professional help then.

Again, thanks to those that did help.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:08 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You said that now that you are plugged in at home all 110 is fine. Is your 12v fine as well while plugged in? When you unplug, do you still have 12v? If all the previous are correct, are you then saying that your remaining problem is that the gen won't start?
Old 12-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #13

Only 3 things will prevent a gas engine from starting. These are spark, compression and fuel. Most of the time you can rule out compression as being the problem, albeit you can check this if you can get a plug out.

You can do a few things to check fuel and spark. For fuel, remove the fuel line or bowl to see if fuel is there when you crank the engine. For spark, remove the wire going to a plug and see if you can see arching when placed about 1/8 in from ground.

The spark may be difficult to see in bright sunlight but there should be a spark as the engine cranks. (There could be a spark from the wire but the plug could be bad so also) No spark = No start.

I do not see any relationship to unplugging your AC power cord or anything on the AC side of the generator for that matter and starting the generator engine.

Good luck. Please let us know how you make out with this.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
had this happen to a family member, if oil level is low, gen wouldnt start.