Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #1

A/C is leaking inside

Second time this has happened but I have a/c drainage coming through the inside air filter area. Just enough to get things wet - maybe a couple of ounces or so every time I check - 4-5 hours apart. Water is holding in the white frame around the A/C.

So I took in last July for the same thing. They thought it was condensation. So they added some more a/c insulation on the inside around the air intake area. I thought this fixed it. Ran numerous times at home before hitting the road. The unit is only a year old - 15k Dometic w/Heat Pump.

Unrelated maybe? - came in this afternoon - breaker tripped - coach was 96. That was around 4:30 - in 90 degree heat outside. Taking all evening to get cooled down. It's 75 now and quite comfortable. It was down to 80 in 2 hours - another 2 hours to get to 75. Wondering if I might be low on freon and maybe freezing up a little? Causing the water to come back through the unit?

As far as tripping the breaker goes, I moved to the 50 amp step down to 30....running with no issues. Plug is not hot which is good.

Any ways - looking for ideas before I bring back in to the shop tomorrow when we get back into town.

Thanks in advance
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #2

Mickey, if you take the filter off, can you see water kind of blowing around? I had this happen and I pulled the cover off of A/C and the drain holes were plugged in the pan. Maybe water blowing shorted wire, tripping breaker? Luck to you
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch460 View Post
Mickey, if you take the filter off, can you see water kind of blowing around? I had this happen and I pulled the cover off of A/C and the drain holes were plugged in the pan. Maybe water blowing shorted wire, tripping breaker? Luck to you
Thanks for the quick reply. I did take the filter off - the water seems to be coming down the front where the air intake is. The white plastic has 6 screws - 4 are accessible when the filter is off - the other 2 have caps on them to look pretty. I can't get them out without damaging so I can't take the complete cover off to inspect much more than that. I tend to break things :( so I thought I wouldn't try too hard to get the caps off to access the final 2 screws.

And it was the outside breaker - not the one for the A/C in the coach.

Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #4

Please post the final solution to this. That kind of thing can hit any of us like that now and then.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have no "drain" lines (cheap Beaver) but do have the problem now and then when the A/C's are first turned on. Ours is humidity and can be eliminated by opening all A/C outlets 100% with the fan(s) on high. By not using the MH vent system, it cools much quicker and the problem goes away (cold air holds much less humidity)...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe Fletch460 was referring to the cover on the outside of the unit. That's where you have access to the drain pan. And the drain hole does get plugged once in awhile.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #7

Same thing happened to me. Took it to dealer, they found some debris in drain area (small eaten nuts). Took camper out and turned on AC. Water dripping inside again with unit otherwise working fine. Took it back to dealer. They completely removed ac unit. Found more debris (yep,small eaten nuts) buried a little farther in drain area. They also replaced the gasket between roof and ac unit. Put it back together and no leak. Also no charge for the second service work. They said they should have gotten it the first time and wanted to make it right.
becken6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by becken6 View Post
Same thing happened to me. Took it to dealer, they found some debris in drain area (small eaten nuts). Took camper out and turned on AC. Water dripping inside again with unit otherwise working fine. Took it back to dealer. They completely removed ac unit. Found more debris (yep,small eaten nuts) buried a little farther in drain area. They also replaced the gasket between roof and ac unit. Put it back together and no leak. Also no charge for the second service work. They said they should have gotten it the first time and wanted to make it right.
Ahhh...would have popped to cover off the top had I known. Dropped off at the shop when I got back into town yesterday. I showed them what it was doing - it was wet but not pouring like it was at the beach - maybe higher humidity had a lot to do with it too. Don't know for sure.

I should hear something this week.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #9

Another cause is condensation caused by leakage between the intake air and chilled air duct.This will also cause a unit to freeze-up occasionally.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to GunnyClark
We're running into the same problem - have not had a chance to look yet but our unit blows ice cold but if not level or nose high it will leak a full gallon of water overnight
Old 09-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #11

If a unit is not fairly level it could cause the condensation to leak in to the cabin of any unit.

Condensation is a natural by product of air conditioning. The removal of moisture from the air is part of the air conditioning process.

The condensation must go somewhere. If it can not leave the A/C unit through the drain holes/drain line, it will back up and most likely leak in to the cabin.

The are other situations that will cause water leaks in to the cabin but this is the most common.
DesertRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
This may be of interest, I have two heat pumps on my coach, they are the 2001 year models, have always done a nice job, only leaking inside one time very briefly. The front unit which runs the most, started making a bang noise when turned off, also the DW sensed a burning wire smell.
Being the 2001 year model, I first considered replacing both of them.
Today I went to Keystone RV in Pa. had one of their good techs, remove the top covers, open up the units, and using a neat air nozzle, blew out as much dirt as possible from the condenser, evaporator and from the fans, all which had a lot of dirt build up. There was a mess inside the coach when done, he also cleaned out the best he could from under side, filters etc.
Now, there is less noise, more air flow, no vibration nor thumping/banging and no burn smell. Tech mentioned with so much dirt build up, sometimes they hear of a burn smell complaint.
Cost $150.00.
Dave M A happy camper
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRhino View Post
If a unit is not fairly level it could cause the condensation to leak in to the cabin of any unit.

Condensation is a natural by product of air conditioning. The removal of moisture from the air is part of the air conditioning process.

The condensation must go somewhere. If it can not leave the A/C unit through the drain holes/drain line, it will back up and most likely leak in to the cabin.

The are other situations that will cause water leaks in to the cabin but this is the most common.
Actually, air conditioning/cool air is a byproduct of inventing a de-humidifier. After the de-humidifier was invented and working, they speculated the chilled air must be good for something, and the air conditioner was "invented". Kinda like, who invented the heat pump.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Actually, air conditioning/cool air is a byproduct of inventing a de-humidifier. After the de-humidifier was invented and working, they speculated the chilled air must be good for something, and the air conditioner was "invented". Kinda like, who invented the heat pump.
Correct. Note the actual description below, addresses humidity first, not temperature.

The first functional definition of air-conditioning was created in 1908 and is credited to G. B. Wilson. It is the definition that Willis Carrier, the “father of air conditioning” subscribed to:
  • Maintain suitable humidity in all parts of a building
  • Free the air from excessive humidity during certain seasons
  • Supply a constant and adequate supply of ventilation
  • Efficiently remove from the air micro-organisms, dust, soot, and other foreign bodies
  • Efficiently cool room air during certain seasons
  • Heat or help heat the rooms in winter
  • An apparatus that is not cost-prohibitive in purchase or maintenance

Now back to our originally scheduled topic!!
DesertRhino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak