Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 27
A/C not blowing below 60*

Have a Cross Country DP checked out the A/C can not get it below 60* at the dash.
Took the Evens water control out of the system installed manual valve. Evaced the system installed 3# 134a coolant low side reading 20# high side 185-205
Still not getting below 60* at the dash.
Cycling off at 19# on at 32#
Can live with it but its not right
Help
__________________

__________________
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
CJ7365's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerb View Post
Have a Cross Country DP checked out the A/C can not get it below 60* at the dash.
Took the Evens water control out of the system installed manual valve. Evaced the system installed 3# 134a coolant low side reading 20# high side 185-205
Still not getting below 60* at the dash.
Cycling off at 19# on at 32#
Can live with it but its not right
Help
is 3 pounds the recommended capacity of 134?

Did you evacuate the system before for adding 134?

Looking at your low side pressure of 20 pounds if its a 80 to 90 degrees outside I think it's a little low, might consider adding an once at a time, but no more than 6 oz

On my a/c I am seeing a low side of 28 at 95 ambient temp
My vent temps are 45
__________________

__________________
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
W22 Workhorse Chassis 8.1 Flat Towing a 82 Jeep CJ7
CJ7365 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Ranger Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Where the Rig is Parked
Posts: 933
Low side seems a little low to me too. Should be a little higher
__________________
Steve and Joy
2016 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
Where We Are Now
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 27
Yes we evaced the system before we put in the 134a they call for 2.5# however we did do .6 more did not help. Just drops to 60* stays there. Will pull down 25* in the heat of the day 99* with no trouble will get down close to 60* after a while.
Thinking that we will need to go with more coolant. Little at a time. Have a race this weekend may evac again and try new expansion valve can that be holding the low side down?
Thanks
__________________
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,096
It seems more likely to me that something is warming the air after it passes through the a/c chiller (heat exchanger). Maybe hot outside air mixing in, or the heater side is mixing in hot air even when set for max cooling. I've seen both happen, and no amount of fiddling with the compressor can overcome a hefty dose of hot air in the duct system. MAke sure the temperature mix control is working right, and that the heater valve really does go off when the temp is set to "cold". And check for an exterior air inlet door that doesn't close tight.

Is the 60 degrees with the controls set to recirculate? Mine won't go below 60 if not in recirculate (Max) mode.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 27
Thanks Gary I have replaced the heater control valve with the manual shut off as I understand the electric valve from Evens has been a problem. The doors on the air box are closing tight. Both sides of the heater hoses are cool now that I replaced the evens valve.
The evens box is not marked as to total coolant requirements.
Just ran it it 97* out sided got down to 70* at the dash. 27* drop
This just maybe all it has?
__________________
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,493
If pressure dropping to 16 psi and compressor dropping out then it seems to be low on gas.

They should cycle but that is controlled by evaporator temp.

If it is blowing warm air compressor should stay on.
__________________
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
CJ7365's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerb View Post
Thanks Gary I have replaced the heater control valve with the manual shut off as I understand the electric valve from Evens has been a problem. The doors on the air box are closing tight. Both sides of the heater hoses are cool now that I replaced the evens valve.
The evens box is not marked as to total coolant requirements.
Just ran it it 97* out sided got down to 70* at the dash. 27* drop
This just maybe all it has?
I would call to find out what the capacity of the system is, then there is no guessing


In your earlier post you said "they call for 2.5 lbs" where did you get this info?
Then you said "The evens box does not say the capacity of cooling system"

Is your condenser fan running?, are these temp measured with the vehicle idle or running down the road?


Your low side is too low

I would add a little more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC temp pressure chart.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	104684  
__________________
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
W22 Workhorse Chassis 8.1 Flat Towing a 82 Jeep CJ7
CJ7365 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Old Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,940
I love these dash A/C threads....First, 20 PSI on the low side seems a bit low but you have to ensure both evap and condense coils are clean with good flow thru. Second, need to ensure condensor is getting good air flow--while parked [use box fan or water mist]. Third--[my favorite] as I understand it, evap coil can only cool 20 to 25* below INSIDE ambient temps. So in a car as the small inside space begins to cool, you quite quickly get lower vent temps. With a DP, you have a huge air space to cool so ambient inside air cools slowly--thus the vent temps dont go down much. Fourth--2.5 lbs of 134a seems pretty low for a DP??????....Keep us posted.
__________________
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:31 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,493
2.5 pounds sounds like car size or a gasser where everything is at the same end.

Having a DP with evaporator at the front with compressor at the back and condenser who knows where...

It seems like 2.5 pounds may just fill the line from compressor to front.
__________________
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
I would call to find out what the capacity of the system is, then there is no guessing


In your earlier post you said "they call for 2.5 lbs" where did you get this info?
Then you said "The evens box does not say the capacity of cooling system"

Is your condenser fan running?, are these temp measured with the vehicle idle or running down the road?


Your low side is too low

I would add a little more
I got the 2.5# off evens website Called and talked to them got the run around about the M/H builder is the one to call
Condenser fan fan running and the clean.
Same temp idle or down the road
Put more coolant in it total 3# so far going to put more in today
Thanks
__________________
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
I love these dash A/C threads....First, 20 PSI on the low side seems a bit low but you have to ensure both evap and condense coils are clean with good flow thru. Second, need to ensure condensor is getting good air flow--while parked [use box fan or water mist]. Third--[my favorite] as I understand it, evap coil can only cool 20 to 25* below INSIDE ambient temps. So in a car as the small inside space begins to cool, you quite quickly get lower vent temps. With a DP, you have a huge air space to cool so ambient inside air cools slowly--thus the vent temps dont go down much. Fourth--2.5 lbs of 134a seems pretty low for a DP??????....Keep us posted.
[B]Both coils are clean motorhome only has 6000 miles and it has the 16" fan mounted on the condenser unit under the M/H with good air flow
Trying more Coolant up to 3# so far more today.
Going to fire up roof air to cool the inside of M/H as it will drop it from 120 at the dash vents to 80* in a short time will see what it can do with roof air on. [
/B]
Thanks
__________________
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:33 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 27
OK found a mark on the Evens box in yellow crayon showing 60 oz? so now we have a total of 61oz in it still blowing 60* at the dash vents. 80* out side air 22# low side 160# high side going to let it run for a while to see if they go up high side should be higher yesterday during the warmer part of day (99) was 205#
Cycling of at 19# on at 32# lots of condensation but not freezing up.
Any more ideals?
__________________
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:49 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 27
OK got it down to 52* in the morning mid low 80* out side. Still not working good in the afternoon 95+ best it will do at the dash is 60*+ I am guessing that's all it has in it. Worst A/C set up I have ever seen, Still thinking of changing the expansion valve something is acting like a thermostat holding at 60* part of the time.
Still like to hear anyone's comments.
__________________

__________________
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A/C blowing breaker Mad-Bus RV Systems & Appliances 5 08-10-2015 10:08 AM
A/C blowing out junk! & Dash A/C charge. trode National RV Owner's Forum 4 07-15-2015 08:53 AM
Dash A/C blowing fuses alfetch Travel Supreme Owner's Forum 9 09-06-2014 02:30 PM
A/C blowing hot air Tobefitt RV Systems & Appliances 4 05-19-2014 08:52 PM
Dash A/C blowing black film Hooky Monaco Owner's Forum 4 05-03-2014 07:20 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.