Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A heads up to Canadians traveling South.

Saw this online this morning on the CBC website. An interesting article which cites the Washington Post.

American shakedown: Police won't charge you, but they'll grab your money - World - CBC News

Another reason to only travel with Credit cards or bank drafts.

IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 07:54 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
The Post has had a running story on this. Very interesting and very scary about how our Constitution has been 'modified'.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Sunshine sanitizes

One way to stop this abuse is to publicize where it is occurring. If Shadyville become know as a shake-downtown and tourists avoid it, then the local tourist related business will "suffer" and the mayor, etc will soon be asked to expalin why he/she has driven off those tourists dollars.

Part two: leave your money in Canada and take a debit card or credit card.

P.S. Occasionally a locale in Georgia get to be known as a "speed trap" and travelers 1) adoid it if possible, or 2) are VERY careful about controlling their speed (not to fast, not to slow - just right).
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Notice in the article that those who had their money grabbed were Americans, not Canadians. It could happen to anyone.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Happened in Tn to a man just last year. Yes, it can and will happen to anyone.

Great place we live in today.

Man Loses $22,000 In New 'Policing For Profit' Case - NewsChannel5.com
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Notice in the article that those who had their money grabbed were Americans, not Canadians. It could happen to anyone.
You are absolutely correct. I had assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that Americans would already have been aware of this theft, and no I don't consider taking money from drug dealers etc. theft, but I do consider highway robbery of innocent people theft. I was just trying to illuminate it to my fellow Canucks heading south, it will be snowbird season soon enough. You expect to hear of this sort of fleecing from south of your southern boarder and beyond, not in between the two boarders. It actually saddens me greatly to read about this sort of activity.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
On both sides of the border....a traveller must declare any monies in excess of 10k...So if a traveller has been following the letter of the law...which at the front of this will protect him/her.....there should be paper work from the border which indicates that the money is legit......That should go a long way for a traveller to explain why they are carrying big dollars....That being said.....I seriously doubt that any snow bird is gonna go driving around with an excessive amount of paper money.....makes no sense......The CBC is a bit of leftie news outlet which I think has slanted this story to make it appear that police everywhere are out there seizing peoples money for no good reason...Drug dealers and organized crime are smart and use all kinds of means to transport their money, including RVs. Typically police target known routes such as interstates and other byways to interdict the money and drugs. I wont dispute that likely some over zealous police officer has likely made an incorrect seizure and good on the folks who get their money back through the courts.....shows the system works......but come one.....should travellers be fearful...I doubt it. Depending how you want the story to flesh out....a news outlet can talk only about the success stories regarding seized money or that the seizures are illegal and a cash grab and police everywhere are out of control. Just depends on how you want the story to flesh out. And CBC is about as left as we get in Canada. And like your parents told you....Just because some writes it and you read it doesn't make it true....
Old 09-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
On both sides of the border....a traveller must declare any monies in excess of 10k...So if a traveller has been following the letter of the law...which at the front of this will protect him/her.....there should be paper work from the border which indicates that the money is legit......That should go a long way for a traveller to explain why they are carrying big dollars....That being said.....I seriously doubt that any snow bird is gonna go driving around with an excessive amount of paper money.....makes no sense......The CBC is a bit of leftie news outlet which I think has slanted this story to make it appear that police everywhere are out there seizing peoples money for no good reason...Drug dealers and organized crime are smart and use all kinds of means to transport their money, including RVs. Typically police target known routes such as interstates and other byways to interdict the money and drugs. I wont dispute that likely some over zealous police officer has likely made an incorrect seizure and good on the folks who get their money back through the courts.....shows the system works......but come one.....should travellers be fearful...I doubt it. Depending how you want the story to flesh out....a news outlet can talk only about the success stories regarding seized money or that the seizures are illegal and a cash grab and police everywhere are out of control. Just depends on how you want the story to flesh out. And CBC is about as left as we get in Canada. And like your parents told you....Just because some writes it and you read it doesn't make it true....
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Yup, couldn't agree more. But sadly it does happen. Better to be aware of a potential trip stopper than not. People are people, and people are irrational they do the strangest things. My personal leanings are far more to the right of centre, and I feel that there are exponentially more good cops than bad. Had it of been a story by only the CBC I would have been more wary, but since it cited the WP, who's leanings I am not aware of, I thought it would be good to bring forward. Feeling sorry that I did now. My posting was not to offend anyone, just to make people aware.
Cheers
Old 09-12-2014, 02:06 AM   #10

I can't believe how naive some of you are. Police will lie in their reports. That's nothing new. Happened to a friend of mine recently. His 11 yr old son got punched by a 16 yr old at a soccer game. He told the kid to never touch his son again and the 16 yr old made up a story. Older kids parents who were court clerks at the county court called the cops... cops were their cousins. The deck was stacked against my colleague. Both he and his wife were arrested, at a Christian school soccer game, in front of his two children. Once at the station they refused to say a word, evoking their miranda rights, without a lawyer present. They were put through the ringer for that. Cops said they said all sorts of things, including admitting guilt, when in-reality they both didn't say a word. He was facing a year in jail subject to a jury trial which would have meant he would lose his job. So he and his wife had to strike a plea deal to avoid jail time. Part of that plea was that they move from that town or else... Ultimately, that meant the cops got their way. My jaw dropped when I heard the story. But then that's our country. We are a very corrupt society, we're all just in denial about it.

Regardless, the fault of these stolen money cases lies with the drivers for not knowing the law and not knowing their rights. They shouldn't have opened the door to crooked cops, of which there are many. If the officer asks to search your car tell him "No". They may still search you anyway, due to probable cause, but the fact that you didn't consent will give your lawyer the horsepower to push back in court and the officer will ultimately lose if you're law-abiding and not part of any criminal activity in the first place. The 4th amendment protects you from search and seizure.

The other part of the blame still rests with these drivers for signing a consent not to sue in return for the money. Personally, were it my money on the line, I'd tell the police department to pound sand and I'd legally go after every one involved. Take $22,000 from me? Fine, I'll sue for $500,000 in pain and suffering. People will put their life on this line for this country by fighting a war overseas for another society that hates us anyway, but won't bother to stick up for their own rights if it means spending, or losing, a few bucks.

The only way this kind of crap will stop in our country is if we fight back.

I've traveled around with large amounts of cash at times, buying a boat, a car, and RV from CL or Ebay, etc. Heck, the FW/ Truck set-up that I just bought were both CL deals that I paid cash on the spot for. Were I to ever get pulled over, the last thing I'm going to do is advertise to anyone, including a police officer, how much cash I have on me. I don't even tell the seller that. When showing up to buy a car I tell them I'll go to the bank after I see the car... even if I have the money on me. Duh. That said, I use a cc or debit card for everything... that is, I don't normally travel with more than couple hundred dollars on me at any given time so I'm not all that exposed on a regular basis.

BTW, my friend's youngest son is terrified of police now. Has nightmares about it. Nice, eh?
Old 09-12-2014, 03:24 AM   #11

One hell of a sad and maddening story. When websites, CopAbuse.com and YouTube videos show crap Cops have done wrong it shows we are in a sad place. And the militarization of our local Police is absurd. Local cops don't need any friggin MRAP'S 😡
Old 09-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a retired police dispatcher I would like to say this does not happen, but then I know for a fact it does,, I know one Community in Michigan where the assistant Prosecutor (DA) conducted a seminar on how to seize assets (Not just money but Cars, Motor homes, Boats, even HOUSES) even if no illegal activity is so much as suspected. And this is in Michigan less than 100 miles from where I worked (And even closer to where I hang out now that I'm retired).

Several communities in other states.. That is what they do instead of taxes.. They take people's money and property under RICO.

As for the dpeartment I worked for.... Well we had several cases where we went to great ends to determine the cash the person had on 'em was legit.. and then we let 'em go, cash and all. In other cases we knew already the cash was drug money.. That.. We kept.. (However to this day I can not tell you just all the evidence (Do not know it) I only know we had been watching the drug traffickers from back when they had drugs, not money, and observed the sale.. In short, "Dead to rights".. As for the drug dealers.. "Dead" may well apply, when they reported to their bosses in another more southern state (There is only one more northern state so we have to assume they headed south) .
Old 09-13-2014, 12:11 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Unless I can be charged with a crime or illegal activity then they will not search my vehicle, they will not seize my property. I have utmost respect for law enforcement, I've donated nearly 100 hours to charity for LEOs this year alone, but they have laws to follow also.

The first one was written 238 years ago, it's called the 4th amendment.

Unfortunately they seem to have forgotten that.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #14

The law in the US according to Customs and Border Protection and the US Customs Service before the creation of the CBP has a currency reporting law which covers all monetary instruments. The requirement for this is to declare what you are taking out of the US and bringing back into the US. What you do is before you depart you need to fill out a form and give it to CBP. They will record it and give you a copy back which you will need when you come back into the US. You must declare that currency on your Customs Declaration when you have signed it and give your Dec to the CBP Officer who processes you upon arrival into the US. If you fail to do that and you are examined outgoing or incoming you stand to have the monetary instrument and or currency valued in excess of $10K seized and put into the US Dept. of the Treas. General Fund . It could be returned but you will have to prove how you made that $10 K and IRS might want to talk to you as well. Nuff said?
K9Piper..CBP Publication "Know Before You Go"

Tags
travel