Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
A Hitchiking Rat

I picked up a visitor Rat while parked near Mobile Bay and he hopped off up near Memphis at an RV Park where we stayed. He made quite a mess in my main basement storage area (37' Diesel Pusher). I've heard of some electronic devices that plug into an electrical outlet that supposedly produce sound waves that drive the rodents away but that human can'y hear. Anybody have any experience with these ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
yes they are great except they will only cover unobstructed areas as the sound wave will bounce back as soon as it hits something I swear by them and sell them to my customers all the time for cabins etc and have them in my gazebo at home

Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A 6' long rat snake will work good on the critters....

Ken
Old 05-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey now... that was my solution to mice in an earlier post! Only I suggested black snakes. 1 per compartment ought to keep them happy, feed them an egg every few days, they'll keep the mice and rats down. don't think they work on ants or cockroaches though.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Speaking of snakes -- For 10 years prior to retiring a year ago my job was to be personal assistant/house manager/monkey nanny for a busy female executive at her 6,000 sq ft home. I know, because of the skin that the exterminator found, that there is a 6' non-venomous snake living in one of the attics.

I never told her about it because I checked to make sure the attic was sealed from the inside of the house as long as the door is kept closed and it eats any mice that we have seen evidence of up there. I was afraid she would over-react and want it removed and chances are good that it comes and goes thru some attic to outside access point.

Anyone think I should tell her about it now that I'm no longer there? I left on good terms and we have remained friends. Her monkey passed away before I retired so she now only has a part-time person doing my previous job as well as preparing her meals. So telling the new person really isn't the answer.

If you had a snake in your attic would you want to know, or would it be easier to sleep without that knowledge?
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Don't know... but we had a black snake stuck in the arm of the sofa downstairs and I took the sofa outside until he left on his own. Have had them inside, but with my knowledge and permission. I suppose it is better for them to know it is for certain a non poisonous. The problem is convincing a phobic person to let well enough alone!
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One place we lived we had a large pond and as long as we had a black king snake around, we did not see a single copperhead. The idiot city-boy next door killed the king snake, thinking it was a water moccasin. A couple of weeks later, we start seeing copperheads again.

I do not like snakes, but as long as I get to identify it, non-venomous snakes are fine with me...just as long as I see it first and have time.

Ken
Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My friendly exterminator showed me how to tell from the skin that it was non-vememous. There is a difference in the way the scales are shaped just below the vent (rectum for us non reptile lovers) on the skin after it's shed. Luckily, I never saw the snake itself, but I always made LOTS of noise when I went up there and moved VERY slowly and carefully. In 3 years the exterminator found skins twice, but it's a big attic with several levels so there could easily be many more in out of the way places or in the insulation. Better him find it than me, LOL Heaven forbid the boss lady would ever see one.

I've decided to tell my replacement and let her decide if it's a secret she should keep. That way my conscience will be clear.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
There is a product called Mouse Free, see the AD right here on iRV2. It can be used just about anywhere. The pricing isn't that bad when you get a Rodent into your RV, shed, home etc. We are having our MH done this week.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote