Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Commercial Member
A Moment of Silence and RV'ers pray needed

This happen early today in Memphis.

A 72-year-old woman died trying to stop her recreational vehicle from rolling away at the Agricenter RV Park this morning.
Sharon Bailey was attempting to hitch her RV to the back of a truck at the site off Germantown Parkway with her husband when the camper began to move, said Shelby County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Chip Washington. Bailey ran to the front of the RV and tried to hop in the driver’s seat to hit the brakes.
The door to the camper flew open and hit her, said Washington. She fell to the ground and was crushed under the RV. She was pronounced dead on the scene.
The couple, married 51 years and from Spring, Texas, had been in Memphis since Sunday visiting Bailey’s sister, according to Washington. They were headed today to a festival in Alabama.

Things like the above can happen at anytime, so always be Safe. The news people said their recreational vehicle, meaning to say their 5th wheel. After backing up to latch hitch, truck was not in park with the engine still running. Once the landing legs cleared the ground the truck started to proceed backwards. Our thought and prayers to the family.

dforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our sympathy, condolences and request for God's comforting presence to her husband and all the family. These things are big, heavy and can hurt you if you make the slightest mistake so we all need to use this tragic event as a reminder to be very careful in our travels.

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Our sympathy, condolences and request for God's comforting presence to her husband and all the family. These things are big, heavy and can hurt you if you make the slightest mistake so we all need to use this tragic event as a reminder to be very careful in our travels.
Beautifully said. I can't put it in any better words. My feelings exactly.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Our prayers are with the family also. Folks, be careful and stay safe.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Prayers are with the family as well.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
Heard a guy cursing loudly a couple of weeks ago at a campground. He backed his 5 th wheel into his site and was unhooking. As soon as he pulled the 5th wheel pin the trailer started to roll and fell on to the bed of the truck crushing the tailgate and damaging the box. He forgot to block the wheels.

My heart goes out to this womans family. Be safe.
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
As Monacoach says, always remember to install chocks, and I'll admit that I occasionally forget these myself.

Another thing to keep in mind if you are talking about a towed RV is the breakaway brake pin.

At home I park the travel trailer on pads that are at the top of a hill. Everytime I unhitch I imagine my beautiful trailer careening down that hill. Then I look at the breakaway brake pin and make sure I will remember to pull it if the trailer moves as it comes off the hitch.

Obviously this will only work for trailers, but if that's what you own keep it in mind.

As a pilot for many years, I know how many procedures and lessons are written with the blood of others before me. If we can all learn something, maybe this lady's death will not be in vain.

-- Loren
2012 New Horizons 36' Travel Trailer, Front Kitchen
2008 Dodge Ram, 6.7 liter Cummins Diesel, 4WD, Quad Cab
Loren B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
God bless you in these hard times. Will be saying a prayer for you.

2005 Beaver Lexington
Road Master Chassis
C-9 400hp.
rayan is offline   Reply With Quote