Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
How many of you do like my wife and I do by picking up what others have left? I pick up after my dog and I also pick up after others' dogs. I know it really isn't my responsibility, but I feel it is the right thing to do so that one day all campgrounds don't ban dogs. Wouldn't that be a shame? I have yet to read where somebody else does what my wife and I do -- I just read where everybody whines about it.

Bruce
I hear you, but if we did that on our daily 5-mile hike, instead of taking 1 1/2 hours, it would take half a day. I use the poop bags, but dislike them, too squishy for me . At campgrounds, I simply take our small pooper-scooper and do as you do. I hope this thread is more about getting pet owners to do the decent, common sense thing instead of whining about it. BTW, nice first name!

Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
How many of you do like my wife and I do by picking up what others have left? I pick up after my dog and I also pick up after others' dogs. I know it really isn't my responsibility, but I feel it is the right thing to do so that one day all campgrounds don't ban dogs. Wouldn't that be a shame? I have yet to read where somebody else does what my wife and I do -- I just read where everybody whines about it.

Bruce
DW and I both pick up after others. I don't like it but we do. I don't want anyone to think the pile may have been left by one of my girls! I've been to many RV parks and resorts that now fine the negligent pet owner. I like the idea. In fact at Ocean Lakes where IRV 2 National Rally was held security was on the look out for just such occasion's. You could not dodge the $100.00 fine it was added to your credit card on file. Suppose you could claim fraud to your bank issuing the CC but your still in for a hassle!

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #17

iRV2 No Limits Club
Preaching to the choir here.

You could substitute any rule in there and ask why campers do not follow them.

Again most of the rule breakers are not reading this forum, unfortunately.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #18

The reason, those rules are make for everyone else!!
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa peter View Post
I'll add #3 ... Why can't people understand that I do not care to have my personal space/site invaded by a dog where the owner says ... " he/she just wants to say hi! "?
On our last trip, some new neighbors set up camp next to us. We were grilling outside and sat down to eat our dinner at the picnic table.

Here comes the woman with a little dog NOT ON A LEASH, and she said exactly that. "Foo-foo wants to say hi!!" The dog was jumping up on the table benches and making me nervous while our dinner got cold. Very inconsiderate annoying...and we are dog lovers.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I walk one of our cats on a leash, I ALWAYS watch out for dogs off leash. Our cat is very friendly and has no fear of dogs and has been known to walk right up to even Malamutes and rub against them.
Dogs off leash and people not cleaning up after them has been a problem for YEARS. Some people just seem to think they and their dogs are above the rules that everyone else must live by.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Like everyone else, I get annoyed at picking up dog poop. Other than that, dogs just aren't a big enough deal for me to get worked up about. If they come around, I say hello, pet them on their heads and wait for the mom or dad to show up. Lots of other stuff irritates me way more then dogs.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtjester View Post
Like everyone else, I get annoyed at picking up dog poop. Other than that, dogs just aren't a big enough deal for me to get worked up about. If they come around, I say hello, pet them on their heads and wait for the mom or dad to show up. Lots of other stuff irritates me way more then dogs.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.
It's not the dogs that are the problem. It's people who think rules don't apply to them. We own a dog and he is part of our family...but we pick up after him and keep him on a leash where the rules say to do so. I consider this for his safety as well.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #23
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
Two things I need to publicly vent about because one day it will ruin things for all of us.

1. Why can't people clean up after their dogs????????? I have a lab and I always carry bags with me when I walk her. Generally I have her go on our own spot before the walk, but sometimes I need that bag during the walk. I ALWAYS see remains lying on the ground from other dogs. If some folks are too good to clean up after their dogs then maybe they should reconsider bringing their dogs camping with them. The campground employees are not responsible to clean up after you.
  2. Why can't people follow the simple rule that their dog must be on a leash any time that dog is outside. I can't tell you how many times I see a dog running loose because "they are so well trained they do not need to be on a leash". I'm sure when someone walking their dog passes by someday, and gets attacked that will be very reassuring.

Sorry, but I needed to say that.
We're dog owners, and we have the same pet peeves (pun intended).

On a couple of occasions when we forgot to carry a bag, I stood guard over the pile of poop (so no one would step in it and so anyone who happened to be watching knew we had no intention of leaving it) while DW went back to the rig to get a bag.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #24

We backed into our spot at our favorite campground in Ohio. TW was directing me in when she happen to look down and see poop in the grass. Not one pile but five piles. It looked like it had been the for a few days. The guy next to me that had two dogs came over with a shovel and a bag and cleaned it up.(It was not from his dogs because it was to dry). After setting up and thanking the gentleman I went to the office to let them know. They checked and there had not been on that spot the since the weekend before. They were going to send the previous campers a bill for clean up.

I think the spots should be checked after check out. They come around and clean the fire ring out. They could check and take care of the problem before someone else uses that spot.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #25
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
Two things I need to publicly vent about because one day it will ruin things for all of us.

1. Why can't people clean up after their dogs????????? I have a lab and I always carry bags with me when I walk her. Generally I have her go on our own spot before the walk, but sometimes I need that bag during the walk. I ALWAYS see remains lying on the ground from other dogs. If some folks are too good to clean up after their dogs then maybe they should reconsider bringing their dogs camping with them. The campground employees are not responsible to clean up after you.
  2. Why can't people follow the simple rule that their dog must be on a leash any time that dog is outside. I can't tell you how many times I see a dog running loose because "they are so well trained they do not need to be on a leash". I'm sure when someone walking their dog passes by someday, and gets attacked that will be very reassuring.

Sorry, but I needed to say that.

Totally agree!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #26

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
On our last trip, some new neighbors set up camp next to us. We were grilling outside and sat down to eat our dinner at the picnic table.

Here comes the woman with a little dog NOT ON A LEASH, and she said exactly that. "Foo-foo wants to say hi!!" The dog was jumping up on the table benches and making me nervous while our dinner got cold. Very inconsiderate annoying...and we are dog lovers.
She certainly wronged you. No doubt, but part of it was you were too "nice."

They imposed on you because you also allowed them.

A firm: "I am sorry we are eating and cannot entertain visitors, even Foo-foo."

No disrespect meant to you, just offering an alternative.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #27

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by psrujak View Post
We backed into our spot at our favorite campground in Ohio. TW was directing me in when she happen to look down and see poop in the grass. Not one pile but five piles. It looked like it had been the for a few days. The guy next to me that had two dogs came over with a shovel and a bag and cleaned it up.(It was not from his dogs because it was to dry). After setting up and thanking the gentleman I went to the office to let them know. They checked and there had not been on that spot the since the weekend before. They were going to send the previous campers a bill for clean up.

I think the spots should be checked after check out. They come around and clean the fire ring out. They could check and take care of the problem before someone else uses that spot.
Good campground hosts do check, and clean, no matter how unpleasant.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dogs View Post
1. This is so true! I usually find the mess by stepping in it...which I just
love. it takes all of one second to clean up after your baby....

2. Even though I own dogs, I am scared of ones I do not know because I
was attacked when I was a child. Again....it only take a second for them
to get away or get hit or something unexpected to scare them and for
them to react badly.

I was also attacked as a child and am wary of unknown dogs. As we walk I scan for dogs on the loose,(my dh doesn't understand this though). Our dog is a chihuahua and so many campers have big dogs,I worry they'll mistake her for a squirrel. The poodle we had before wasn't friendly with other dogs and that was also a worry on walks. Most parks have an on leash rule, but so many campers ignore this.

LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent