Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #1

A Rather Stinky Question

I know, not our most favorite topic .... but we're new ... Okey ???
Been "plugged" in to the park's sewer system for a couple of months ... starting to get a little smeellie up in here .... my question;
when your in a park, utilizing the park's system, do you leave your black & gray tank valves open all of the time, or do you close one or the other for a period and dump as probably the system is designed to do ????

"hit me with your best shot" !!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
This method will solve the problem and black tank chemicals will never be needed again. If it's not there, it can't smell.

A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #3

Please don't tell me you have had your black tank open for 2 months!! If so, you have the dreaded "poop pyramid". The tank will not flush without the water to wash everything out. If you have had it open, tell us and everyone has a different solution for it. But the cure for it is water and lots of. Go buy a clear joint for your dump hose and close the tank valve to install it. Fill and flush the tank repeatedly until the drain is clear. Then, only have the valve open to drain the tank. Drain the gray tank after the black to clean the hose.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #4

you can leave your waste Water valves Open, but not the Black tank valves.
if open the Black tank valves all Liquid goes out and you end up with Solid Pyramid.
Plus no Deodorizer to keep the smell down.
if you do get solids that wont flush out, add 1-2 gal. of water and 10 lbs of crushed Ice. just drive around a bit and drain.
kekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #5

The bad odor is a result of not enough water to completely cover the solids in the tank.
Leave the black tank dump valve CLOSED until the tank is at least 3/4 full before emptying. This, together with using a lot of flushing water will insure you do not get a build-up of solids in the tank.
If you suspect the black tank has such a build-up of solids, close the grey tank valve and collect a full tank of water. Then make sure both valves are closed and place a Valterra twist-on valve on the outlet, then re-attach the sewer hose to this valve.
Next, open the grey tank valve, then the black tank valve.
This back-flushes the black tank until both are equally-full. Close the grey valve and open the Valterra twist-on valve, then open the black tank valve.
Hopefully this loosened the solids enough for the tank to drain. From then forward, follow paragraph two procedure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #6

the smell is probably solved by keeping your valves closed, only open when you are dumping, and adding a 'p trap' in your sewage line(create a 'hump' somewhere in the line) - the 'p trap', like under your sink at home, holds water(or some of your grey water) and is there only to keep sewer gasses from entering your home, or your RV
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #7

All I can say is WOW ..... did I learn some S###T from that video .... and thx for the comments ........... I am so heading for the store to pick up the clear thingy for my drain valve .... you will never hear from me again on this topic .........

Thank you all so much !!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:05 AM   #8

Black tank stays closed until it is time to dump it. Use plenty of water.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:15 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Like most folks, we leave the black tank valve closed and the gray tank valve open until the black tank is about ready to dump. When the black tank is about 3/4 full I close the gray tank valve, then after we take a shower or two I dump and flush the black tank, then dump the gray tank to wash out the pipes and sewer hose! Works for me!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We leave both closed until needed to be emptied. The grey is not a problem.

For the black tank, after it has been back flushed for awhile DW will fill the toilet boil to the brim and "power" flush. She'll do this twice as a minimum and if I still see "items" coming out I'll ask her to do it again. The "power" flush provided force to break up the pyramid.

One other thing is that we will dump two cap-fulls of Calgon water softener to the black tank. It sure appears to make a difference when emptying.

Now I have to go watch the video.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote