Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cruise control set at 65 when on interstate. Foot controlling 55-60 on secondary highways. As fast as can be mustered when going steeply uphill.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 07:24 AM   #16

We were cruising at 65 mph the other day on an interstate, which is our usual top speed. A Fleetwood Bounder gasser pulling an enclosed trailer blew past us going at least 80-85 mph. He could've been going faster as he soon was out of sight as he flew down the road. Some people have no business out on the road!!!!
Old 07-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #17

I would also say 65 seems to be the most comfortable and most fuel efficient. We used to drive at 62 - 63 mph, but got tired of being continually passed and tailgated. We stepped it up to 70 mph, but at that speed you can watch the fuel gauge going toward empty at a fairly quick pace. The last few trips we,ve dropped back to 65 mph. We aren't being continually passed and fuel consumption rate is considerably better.

As a side note I believe all the 19.5" and 22.5" tires on RV's have a speed rating of 75 mph.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #18

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Well, driving at 68 puts me at the speed that a large % of the tractor/trailers are going. The less that I have to negotiate lane changes with them puts me in a safer zone. Most of my travels are in NV or UT. In CA that 'safe zone speed' drops to 58.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #19

Traffic volume, pavement condition, curve radius, and grade are primary factors in deciding my speed. In general so far traveling within the state of California I keep it below 62 when towing and 65 when not towing. I have no issue falling in behind tractor trailers and keeping my lane changing to a minimum versus how I drive when in my car.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Very few RV tires are rated for over 75mph and some are only 65. I stay around 60 - 65.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Generally 60-65. If we are on good roads with light traffic, I'll run up to 70.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a speed limit guy for the most part, my 06 Safari 40PMT handles quite well up to the 75 mph limit on the tires. I run with the semis for the most part, trying not to be a speed bump for them, but not passing them either, cept' going uphill with passing lanes. If the winds kick up or rain falls, I slow down. I'm in no hurry, but 62 seems to make me an impediment here in the open west. Even at 75, some of our highways have 80 mph speed limits. If the corner has an advisory or truck speed, I do it. If the downhill says 6%, I'm way below the limit, going down no faster than I went up.

If I'm following another slowpoke on a two lane, I drop back, allowing the speedies to leap frog me and then the slowpoke in front of me, rather than having to pass both of us at once. Do onto others.....
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
In 2008 I had just retired. We were going out west for two months. I decided to drive at 55 to enjoy the scenery and relax. I have seen others post that you can't safely drive slowly. I think they are just trying to justify their speed preference. In two months we never had a horn blow, a one finger salute, Or a dirty look. Of course we pulled over on secondary roads to let others pass.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #24

Like others said, I adjust my speed so I am not constantly needing to change lanes to pass, but when unrestricted my max "comfortable" speed is 68.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #25

The speed limit for good drivers and bad drivers shouldn't drive at all.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
For driving a 40 foot motorhome on a flat straight and dry interstate highway with average traffic levels, what would you say is the highest reasonably safe speed between 60 and 80

We drive 60 MPH on 4-lane and interstates, and 55-60 on 2-lane, depending on the road and driving conditions. That's the speeds as which I feel in control!

Remember that most toad manufacturers say do not tow over 65 MPH!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
We just did NY to FL and back. The wife likes to keep it around 72 when in a 70 zone and 68 if were in a 65. That kept us moving with the big trucks pretty well for the most part. I typically pushed it a bit more in the flats with keeping up around 75. Hit 80 at one point passing a bunch of dumbasses but no way I'd cruise at that speed. I am sure to keep a lot of distance between me and the next car though at those speeds in-case we need to stop. In heavier traffic we would slow it down to the posted limit usually and tried to stay in the right lane giving lots of room to stop.
Knoxie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxie89 View Post
We just did NY to FL and back. The wife likes to keep it around 72 when in a 70 zone and 68 if were in a 65. That kept us moving with the big trucks pretty well for the most part. I typically pushed it a bit more in the flats with keeping up around 75. Hit 80 at one point passing a bunch of dumbasses but no way I'd cruise at that speed. I am sure to keep a lot of distance between me and the next car though at those speeds in-case we need to stop. In heavier traffic we would slow it down to the posted limit usually and tried to stay in the right lane giving lots of room to stop.

At those speeds you might want to get you a SteerSafe steering stabilizer to help control the rig in case of a front tire blowout!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote