Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
Jerry Dixon

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
A reasonably safe high speed

For driving a 40 foot motorhome on a flat straight and dry interstate highway with average traffic levels, what would you say is the highest reasonably safe speed between 60 and 80

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As fast as you can slow down quick enough when need be and keep control during a blowout. For me that optimal speed was 62.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:19 PM   #3

"Reasonable"--who knows? I find 62-65 to be a good hi-way speed. I personally believe that driving any faster than 65 increases risk and lowers fuel mileage. Blow-outs is the key risk but more comfortable too-- most cars will pass me, but 65 seems to be more manageable for dealing with trucks. Interesting that most RV tire-makers state in writing that 70MPH is the max speed for their tires??????
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
63 to 67 is my normal. Will do 70 out west on open roads
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #5

We drove at 65 on interstates.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #6

I usually keep it between 62-65 as that is where I am most comfortable and feel that I have the best control of the MH in the event of a problem or sudden need to stop. I also get the best gas mileage in that speed, and I surely didn't buy the MH to race anywhere or make good time. If we need to do that we will take our regular car. Also the posted speed limit is the max, not the speed you have to drive.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:45 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
62 - 65 is comfortable for me. If I find I'm in a lot of traffic, I'll adjust up a little so I blend in.

Uphill and downhill I usually slow way down and blend in with 18 wheelers.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #8

I'm also in the 62 - 65 mph range. It's easy driving for me and that's the place where the engine sounds like it's running at about the right load. Mine doesn't have a tach, so I just go by the way it sounds. It'll run 70 easily enough, but the engine sounds like it's working quite a bit harder than at 65, and 63 really seems like the sweet spot.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #9

I usually drive about 63 mph, mainly for fuel savings. Another thing to consider is that many toads have a recommended maximum towing speed of 65 mph.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:05 PM   #10

Never drive faster than the speed limit, or faster than your guardian angel can fly. Think about it, how fast do you want to be traveling when a front tire suddenly deflates? 60-65 is what I feel is safe for me to drive, + I get better mileage driving those speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
"Reasonable"--who knows? I find 62-65 to be a good hi-way speed. I personally believe that driving any faster than 65 increases risk and lowers fuel mileage. Blow-outs is the key risk but more comfortable too-- most cars will pass me, but 65 seems to be more manageable for dealing with trucks. Interesting that most RV tire-makers state in writing that 70MPH is the max speed for their tires??????
Goodyear and Michelin state 75 for their MH tires.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
63 to 67 is my normal. Will do 70 out west on open roads
+1 but I am finding a lot of 70MPH in what I consider the mid west
Old 07-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #12

I try to stay a 2-3 MPH below the limit on the interstates with a max speed of 67. Also if there are signs posted for lower speeds for trucks that is what I go by. I find it easier to just let everyone pass me vs me passing and changing lanes often.
On 2 lane highways I stick to the limits posted generally 55mph and lower. These are the areas I find myself driving too fast, as it feels like you are barely moving at 55.

Steve
Old 07-14-2016, 05:18 AM   #13
paz

As stated by Ray, the rated maximum sustained speed for most motorhome tires is 75mph, and the maximum sustained speed for ST trailer tires used on most travel trailers and on many 5th wheels is 65mph.

I usually drove the motorhome we used to have at 62 to 65mph, and I do the same for our current truck and 5th wheel even though we have tires on the 5th wheel that are rated for 75mph. A speed much over 65 just doesn't feel comfortable to me because IMO it will take much too long to stop that big a vehicle in an emergency situation.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'm not sure it makes a difference if you are driving 70 or 65 if the front tire blows out. Really, terrain at the point your tire blows out is a whole lot more important in determining what happens after the tire lets go.

My tires are speed rated at 75 mph so that's my max, but in reality I drive around 65 on the interstate. I'm just as comfortable at 70, but gas mileage goes down a lot between 65 and 70 and 5 miles in an hour makes little difference in our travels.