Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #15

Originally Posted by Stickdog View Post
We use Charmin Basic. 5 1/2 years fulltiming no problems yet.
Don't worry about the one minute test on paper breakdown unless you plan a flushing BIG mounds of paper moments before you dump. If you use enough water it will all flush out when you dump.

Hey Stickdog, aren't you supposed to use the big mounds of paper AFTER you dump? Maybe I've been doing this all wrong for YEARS!

And ditto on the Scott's 1000

Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I agree that "more water" is more important than toilet paper choice. These are not septic tanks and you're not trying to decompose the solids. I had to learn the hard way because I thought that I needed to conserve water. Use plenty of water when flushing toilets. The truth is that most people will fill up their gray tank way before they fill up their black tank.

Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #17

RV toilet paper is a solution looking for a problem!
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #18
Originally Posted by hdrich View Post
There is a product available for your RV called "Pure Power Blue". It is a biodegradable liquid that will desolve any toilet paper you choose into liquid waste when used properly. Makes for easy flushing of your black holding tank. Much better than using RV toilet paper.
Never heard of this product so I Googled it. Camping World has it for $23.00!!!!

In 16 years of full-timing and going through a LOT of regular toilet paper , all we used was an extra bowl of water after a main production.....never had a problem with clogs. That's all you need....water.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:25 PM   #19
iRV2 No Limits Club
What ever we've had in the house unless the dealer gave us something different in a "starter pack" with a new rig.
Anything that says "septic safe" will be OK.
I've been RV'ing since before RV's had toilets and have never had a black/grey tank buildup.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #20
There are two reasons why in 38 years of owning camper trailers and a couple motorhomes I have never had a build up in my black water tank.
#1 is my liberal use of water to fill and flush the tank.
#2 is my love for PBR. No solid chunks to build up in the tank for me. I use top quality household toilet paper because anything less might be messy. I provide the slip and slide for the paper.
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by chrisgolden View Post
Hi Everyone !!!

Here is another " NEWBY " question.

When I was in Wal Mart, I saw that they had RV Toilet Paper ???????

Do I need SPECIAL.... Toilet paper in my RV, or is Regular Household OK?

Thank You.
This is a subject that touches all of us.

You did not state what your rig is. Some rigs have sensors in the tank and others mount outside on the tank wall. Once you choose the correct paper you can keep your tanks clean and the sensors working correctly by using one of the many additives on the market for this purpose. We use the Walmart brand dishwasher power and backing soda. We dissolve a coffee mug of each in a pan of hot water and dump it down the hopper after we dump and again at about 1/2 tank on occasion. No sensor problems or odors.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:22 PM   #22
We use what we use at home. Never had a problem. Whilst waiting for the hot water in the MH shower we run the water into a small bucket, or pail, if you're sophisticated, and then dump that water down the toilet. Keeps everything nice and sloshy down there.
2000 Monaco Diplomat 40PBD
2012 Grand Cherokee Limited
2008 FatBoy, three spoiled Great Danes and a cat.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:10 AM   #23
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Information gathered from many sources:
Tetford RV toilet paper makes good sandpaper.. I recommend you avoid. your .. Behind.. Will thank you.

Scotts Single Ply is also RV rated, and it is a good quality product and NOT SANDPAPER by any means.

Scotts Naturals (NO cardboard core) is what I use.. Why.. No cardboard core.

Charmin: Lady friend of mine says Charmin can cause UTI's.. I do not know, but Charmin quilted is one of the "Strongest" (meaning it does not break down swiftly in your holding tank) tissues. (Scotts single ply on the other hand is one of the fastest to break down).

Are you seeing a recommendation here? (Scotts) I am.

However that said... In reading the break down test reports.
I do my "Business" finishing with the paper work.. Pull up the pants, put my shoes on and go out and open the valve.. By the time I get there to open valve, Even Charmin has started to break up.

Still.. I'm sticking with Scotts. Or Angle Soft in the other (less used) room.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
A story I read on the forum that happened to that OP. They had a maceration pump and it stopped working one day. The local repair guy found stones jammed in the blades. The OP realized that they were cherry pits. His DW swallowed them when they had fresh cherries a few days before. Moral to the story? Be careful what you put down the hopper, no mater the route.lol
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #25
I did the jar test on the Sam's Club brand toilet paper, it broke up easily.
Pamela B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #26
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scott 1000 1 ply.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #27
Have never had a problem with regular paper. Do as the other posters have said...
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:29 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So being a Newbie, I was concerned about what TP we need to use in our new Class A MH and read up in the threads here along with googling' best RV TP. In a hotel at the moment awaiting completion of our PDI and handover (tomorrow), I thought...lets try the test.

The hotel (a major chain) we're currently staying in supplies/uses 2-ply Georgia Pacific Angel Soft Professional series TP in their guest rooms. Having used it the past 10 days we consider it reasonably comfortable so I thought it worthy of a test. I filled a glass 3/4's full of water, dropped 1-sheet of the TP in it, waited 30-secs, gave it one good shake and found that the paper was already breaking down & settling with the look of ice slivers and chips in the bottom of the glass convincing me that it may be a good choice for use in our coach. Reading the packaging label also indicates its flushable and septic safe.

Found it on-line at BettyMills.com: Cleaning, Sanitary & Medical Supplies. @ $57.99 (tax free) for a 80-roll carton + shipping of $10.75, totaling $68.74 or $0.86 per roll delivered to my doorstep.

That's half the price of a roll Aqua-Soft 2-ply RV TP from Camping World which sells for $6.20 per 4-pkg roll (or $1.58/roll ex-tax).

I thought "****" this is a no-brainer and ordered the 80-roll case from BMs.

rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote